Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Wow, so this is what you get for 100 pieces of gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
Our dryer is dying a slow death. It makes a big racket when spinning and it is not as efficent when drying. So, we're going to go shopping.

At Home depot, a Maytag 4.5 cubic feet washer and 7.5 cubic feet dryer is advertised at $1496.It looks good on paper.

My wife has heard Samsung or LG make better washer dryers. This could be hearsay or heresy :-)

We're going shopping tomorrow, and all those brands will be looked at.

Anyone have any experiences recently with these washer and dryers?

We're going to keep up with technology and planning to buy a dryer with a moisture sensor, so you don't need a timer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Dunne
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a set of Samsungs. Very efficient, very quiet, they do a great job at getting things clean.

My only issue, and I think this is minor, is the timer. If I start a load of laundry, and the timer says 55 minutes, I find that it takes longer than the advertised 55. Not by much, but that is the only thing I can find wrong with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
We got a new Maytag washer/dryer pair for $600 total a while back. Seems to wash and dry just as good as any!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a very bad experience with an LG all-in-one washer/dryer and had to move heaven and earth to get them to let us return it. One employee dismissed it as a case of "buyer's remorse"! We finally managed to get rid of the damn thing, but I have no intention of buying from LG again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what consumerreports.org is for. I say go Kenmore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Kob
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
The best piece of advice I ever got about washer and dryers, is don't feel obligated to get a matching set made by the same company. One company may make a reliable, less expensive dryer, while their washers aren't as dependable or vice versa. We bought a Frigidaire HE front loader and a GE Dryer. Both consumer reports best buys and we've been very pleased with both. They don't match, other than they are both white, but who needs a matching set of something that sits in your washroom or basement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a washer/dryer when my dryer failed a little while ago. I decided to get the pair because they were quite old: decades. When they pulled the washer, the bottom was half rusted through, so check your washer.

The old were Maytags. Maytag is now part of Whirlpool/Kitchen Aid. The old set were very good. The new Whirlpools, okay. I think this is probably an unintended consequence of Energy Star: Energy Star means the washer doesn't spin your clothes as dry as it might, and the dryer doesn't completely dry a full load of absorbent laundry (towels, jeans, sweaters) in one go. Also, an automatic dryer used to mean one that sensed moisture and stopped when the clothes were not-quite-dry for ironing or hanging out wrinkles, or bone dry. Automatic now seems to mean, "Has a timer."

While I do see a point in getting large capacity models (what's my time worth? Can I wash a blanket or bedspread?), I don't see the point in getting stylish $1800 or $1300 sets when a $1000 set will do the job. What? I'm going to entertain in my laundry room to show off my spiffy appliances-with-windows? (What good are the windows, anyway? Can I see how dry my clothes are? Is the $1800 set going to last twice as long? Dubious--probably they have more bells and whistles to fail.

While I agree with looking at Consumer Reports ratings, I've had enough hassles with Sears that I refuse to deal with the company any more. Remember that any store brand, even Kenmore, is just someone else's appliance with a different emblem on it--and you don't know whose! Probably the low bidder these days.

Pedestals? Right. I need to get them up so the tops are too high to fold clothes on and I can't inspect the hoses easily.

It's amazing and a little depressing: my new W/D are the same steel boxes with mechanical timers. Zero apparent technical progress. Maybe LG or Samsung would be more modern, but they don't look different. What other appliances have been unchanged for so very long?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Wow, so this is what you get for 100 pieces of gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
In case you are interested, we did end up buying Maytag.
Apparently they washer and dryers only use high efficiency detergent, so that's one change already.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and opinions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't get armored hoses, write 2020 on the washer. In 2020 you want to get new hoses, either normal for another ten years or armored. One morning I woke very peacefully to the sleep-inducing hissing sound of a fountain. I didn't have a fountain. I did have about two inches of water in the laundry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.