Popular Tags: [View All]
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Ok, at the store seeing all the different gatorade and redbull options, I ask myself, "what works for the boardgame community in terms of stimulating/repairing ingredients in games?"

So I was curious if any of you have known anyone to take stratera or adderall to game better, and if that would work in a drink. Much more, what would your preferred carbonation/flavor be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Mountain Dew is the "official" gamers drink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Wheeler
United States
California
flag msg tools
Vault is decent, it's a soda + energy drink fused together. However, there are several other drinks out there:

For those who enjoy Fantasy we have:

There is also this:

Then there is always:

For more check this out:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/drinks/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope all those drinks are specially formulated not to stain, stick, warp, or in any way ruin the boardgames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
I think Mountain Dew is the "official" gamers drink.

So right! I think bippi needs to hurry and catch up to the 1970s, or the future will just pass him by!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Link
United States
Snowmass Village
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Sucrose Intravenous Drip Bag?
If someone makes one for gamers it should be called 'The juice of saphoo'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since Mountain Dew isn't readily available in Germany it had some kind of mythical quality to me after hearing about it in the context of gaming nights.
The most prominent occasion being certainly that cool little video were some guys play out some typically absurd RPG stuff (one casting Magic Missle to attack the darkness...in lack of other targets) and one guy is rummaging around in the kitchen.
Guy in the kitchen shouting:"Where is the Mountain Dew?"
Gamemaster/Host:"It's in the fridge, duh!"

One day I saw it, in an English foods store ironically, and of course had to try it.
I made myself ready for that unique special taste never tasted before...and was sooo disappointed when I realized this tastes exactly like Sprite/Seven up etc. just with caffeine added!
Disappointed to this day...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
bippi wrote:
"what works for the boardgame community in terms of stimulating/repairing ingredients in games?"

Anything that contains alcohol. The more the better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coffee works just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Alan Zoller
Italy
flag msg tools
Agri-Cola?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Jakster wrote:
Since Mountain Dew isn't readily available in Germany it had some kind of mythical quality to me after hearing about it in the context of gaming nights.

I made myself ready for that unique special taste never tasted before...and was sooo disappointed when I realized this tastes exactly like Sprite/Seven up etc. just with caffeine added!

Hey, I'm with you. I can get Mountain Dew any day of the week back home, and I never understood its attraction.

I think it's because it has a little bit of extra caffeine, 54mg per 12oz can. This is compared to 38mg for a Pepsi or 34mg for a Coke. Hardly enough to notice the difference! By comparison a 6oz cup of coffee contains 50-150mg caffeine. If you really want a sugared soft drink with caffeine, Pepsi MAX has 69mg of caffeine per can, much more than Mountain Dew.

The secret to Mountain Dew's success is its marketing. It's really effective among a certain group. They believe the advertising wholeheartedly and make the product part of their self-image. Just think how disappointed Geeky McDork would be to find a refrigerator full of root beer instead of his favorite product sweetened with high-fructose corn syrup. Think of the advertising for Mountain Dew Code Red...now imagine a different advertising campaign, one that concentrated on what the product actually is: a children's strawberry soda.

Some of the energy drinks are not underpowered, however. They may contain an unhealthy amount of stimulants. If you begin drinking a brand regularly, check the manufacturer's website, so that you can regulate your dosage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Already got some...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nunemaker
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Already got some...

Great idea!! Love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroforgotten wrote:

I think BGG management will frown upon masquerading a vibrator as an energy drink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Miner
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought this "gamers drink" exists already .....BEER
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walsh
United States
Batavia
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just coffee or maybe a coke everynow and again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bippi wrote:
So I was curious if any of you have known anyone to take stratera or adderall to game better, and if that would work in a drink. Much more, what would your preferred carbonation/flavor be?

Strattera is useless as a stimulant, or for pretty much anything other than the intended indication. It's big pharma's belated success at creating at creating an ADHD medication that's totally unfun.

As for adderall, it's racemic amphetamine salts. You can dissolve amphetamine salts in a drink just fine, and it would even take effect somewhat faster than the pill form. There's only the slight problem of it being thoroughly illegal in pretty much the entire world.

If your goal were actually to help your gaming performance, you'd be better off with methylphenidate (Ritalin) which has proven to have some nootropic (memory/learning/retention promoting) potential. It also measurably improves test taking performance, which I'd assume uses some similar cognitive skills to boardgaming.

As for my personal experience, let's just call it extensive. Drug use with boardgaming at least has the benefit of being self-limiting. Anything too strong or in too great a quantity just won't be compatible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Wilks
United States
Peshastin
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Love one another."
mbmbmbmbmb
To answer your question, no. And, no thanks. And, ick.

The best drink to help you "game better" is water.

In other concerns...

The best drink to make gaming more enjoyable is beer.

The drink for remaining conscious during gaming is coffee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The Jakster wrote:
Since Mountain Dew isn't readily available in Germany ... and was sooo disappointed when I realized this tastes exactly like Sprite/Seven up etc. just with caffeine added!

Yup, it's nothing special, though I do like it a bit better than "standard" lemon/lime type sodas.

To make it really good, try it with a shot of Jack Daniels...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
kswingruber wrote:
The Jakster wrote:
Since Mountain Dew isn't readily available in Germany ... and was sooo disappointed when I realized this tastes exactly like Sprite/Seven up etc. just with caffeine added!

Yup, it's nothing special, though I do like it a bit better than "standard" lemon/lime type sodas.

To make it really good, try it with a shot of Jack Daniels...

It does taste different than the clear ones, but yeah, it's nothing special.

I used to be obsessed with Mountain dew when I was like . . . 11-17. I drew a comic called 'Dew Man' where the hero drank mountain dew for his powers. I drank it all the time. Then when I was in college, I drank probably three liters of it on a night where I got some kind of food poisoning, and spent all morning evacuating all three liters from most of the holes in my body. I couldn't drink it from a bottle after that.

I still crave it once in a while, but I haven't had anything but water for over two and a half years now.

I no longer do the dew.

gulp

Edit: a big thing about it is that the bubbles are smaller. It makes it really easy to drink a lot of it at once!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Fowler
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
We provide...
badge
The rich and powerful take what they want. We steal it back for you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Brawndo, The Thirst Mutilator. 'Nuff said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Muscat
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
I like geese
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont know... caffeine makes down time in-between turns less tolerablewow...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Wheeler
United States
California
flag msg tools
KakarisMaelstrom wrote:
Heroforgotten wrote:

I think BGG management will frown upon masquerading a vibrator as an energy drink.

It's actually based of the appearances of potions in one of the final fantasy games XD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Ramsey
United States
Grove City
OH
flag msg tools
badge
Hush
mbmbmbmbmb
Turbine2k5 wrote:

Truth....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.