Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
My sister gave my mother Monopoly for Christmas. angry Needless to say my sister can expect no Christmas presents from me for a long time to come. She lives 400 km away and is safe from having to play the stupid thing!

So there's me (45) and my parents (in their 60s) and my kids (8 and 6) and I came to this forum to find out if there is a "Family" variant that

- takes about an hour
- does not have player elimination
- maybe simplifies some of the other rules such as mortgages and Income tax.

Anyone know of such a variant?
I should mention that I have not played the game for 30 years so I am not totally au fait with the rules (I just reread them on here)

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Use the speed die.

Never put money in "Free Parking" or in the middle, etc.

Play with the proper number of houses and hotels (games usually have extra - don't play with the extras).

No "friendly loans".

The object of the game is to bankrupt your opponents.meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand about playing it "properly", i.e. ruthless, but I am wanting a gentle variant for families which is not about bankruptcy and player elimination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheree Garratt
New Zealand
Te Awamutu
Waipa District
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Simon - what about just playing for a set amount of time and then whoever has the most wealth (including cash and value of houses and properties) wins. Remember to auction off the properties that people don't want to buy to get the game flowing - another variant suggests dealing out a couple of properties to each player at the beginning.

Elijah asked to play this the other day - he wanted to move up from Junior Monopoly but got bored after about 30-40 minutes so we just tallied up the score at that point. He won cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
I understand about playing it "properly", i.e. ruthless, but I am wanting a gentle variant for families which is not about bankruptcy and player elimination.

Well there is a "friendly variant" in which instead of paying, you give each other hugs. And after 60 minutes, you agree that everyone's a winner, you hold hands and sing "Coombaya". whistle

But seriously, this is a game ABOUT bankruptcy and player elimination, remove that and there's no game left, you might just as well be playing Snakes & Ladders. If you play Monopoly by the rules (and as someone up there said, use a speed die - original or proxied), it's really not that bad a game. And I do not really think it's "ruthless", everyone is aware right at the start that the point is to get the money out of other people's hands into their own and noone should get angry about it in the course of the game. In fact, many of the "friendly" variants are actually sneakily sadistic, since they both prolong the game AND tease the players who instead of getting eliminated are kept on "life support" indefinitely even though they have no chance of winning whatsoever.

Get (make) the speed die, play by the rules, relax and enjoy the game. I'm sure you (and your parents) will be pleasantly surprised at how not-bad the game actually is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey the Kumbaya variant sounds cool... cool

Yes it's a bit ruthless, but it's marketed at families, and so sometimes families get forced to play it, ya know what I mean?

The speed die sounds good, luckily my mother's new copy does have this.

I found a couple of variants here and there. With the speed die, the other variant that sounded good was this: the game ends when the second player is eliminated - tally the wealth at that point. So only one player has to sit around waiting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Retallack
msg tools
Monopoly Junior's rules say the game ends when one player goes bankrupt. This makes it not a player elimination game.

Monopoly Tropycal Tycoon says to end the game whenever you feel like it.

Monopoly City says to set an hour timer and end the game when it goes off. This is also tournament rules.

Spongebob and Lord of the Rings monopoly instruct you to move a token around the board (just on the properties) and when it gets back to GO the game ends (it would have moved 24 times at this point, I think?). In Spongebob you move it whenever you roll snake eyes. In Lord of the Rings you move it whenever you roll a one on the speed die. This is a nice tangible built-in counter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Play until one player goes bankrupt. Richest player wins the game. Follow the other suggestions here here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.