Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm about to play my first game but I want to make sure I understand this correctly:

1- when I move to pass/press release, if I announce a wine, I score it immediately, correct? i.e move the fair marker, satisfy managers and so on...

2- Basically, this would mean that if I announce in advance I miss the opportunity to improve my wine later but, on the other hand, I gain the first choice of bonus in the fair slot. Is this the only benefit to announce in advance?

Am I missing something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Rampson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct about what happens when you take a Press Release action. Remember, however, that you will be able to play Wine Experts hen the Wine Fair actually occurs in order to raise your Fair Points and score VP.

You are also correct about the reasons why you would announce early but you miss what I feel is the MAIN reason to do it - getting earlier access to the bonus actions that the manager give you. However, it isn't really useful to do this until you are producing enough wines that you can sacrifice some to actually use the bonus actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Eric's summary, save for one thing. Early in the game, since you are not making many wines, you have less need for your barrel markers, so there's no real downside to getting some on manager spaces, provided that you can. In other words, I recommend you take the opportunity to get the managers in play as at least an option, whenever you can. Then, when you do have wines to use to influence them, the barrels will already be in place. Remember, production occurs every turn, anyway, whether there is a fair that year or not.

You should be prepared to capitalize on the extra actions afforded by the managers whenever possible, since you otherwise will only have 12 actions in the game.

This is not to say that you should place as many barrels as possible, on the manager spaces, since you obviously also need them for sale and export - just that you really shouldn't hold off on the opportunity to get some on the managers, simply because you think it's somehow too early in the game for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.