Wim D
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, I've played 3 games with the Ionian Nebula (IN) option so far. I thought I could give a little feedback on how I think it plays out.
The allies :
The allies are great. Most of the abilities are fun. There is the tension of "will I get the good or the bad effect?" and the discussions like "why did you place a bad token on that ally? are you a cylon? - I had no choice ... I have no good trauma - so you say ..."
The trauma management :
This works well. You are aware you need to avoid too much bad trauma not to be eliminated. You get the possibility to do so. For cylons, it is slightly more difficult, once they are revealed. There should be more ways for revealed cylons to manage their trauma.
I have not tried IN with cylon leaders yet.
The trial/boxing :
I think this is needed to give enough incentive to do a correct trauma management.
Crossroads cards :
I don't like these, and I think they are the reason some people don't like IN.
I think it is ok to have crossroads cards, and I think it is ok to allow them to have abilities to draw or discard trauma yourself. I just don't like that they allow you to make other people draw trauma. Especially for the cylons, there is too much trauma drawing enforced by other players. This allows players to be eliminated without them being able to do anything about it.
For me this ruins the IN expansion.

I am considering to play IN with allies, trauma, trial, but without the crossroads cards.
Would there be balance issues if I just remove the cards from the expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they're a necessary evil, but mainly b/c I'm a purist, and I haven't seen anybody get eliminated so far because of their own fault in entirety. Don't get me wrong, I believe people when they say in 5p or 7p games when this kind of thing happens, so for a 3p game, I can see this situation as well. For my groups, people only get eliminated b/c they misunderstand how eliminations work...
--despite explaining to them, they thought that you can still win posthumously, so they put the needs of their team above their own.
--the cylon team is about to lose, so they execute the admiral via Disturbing Vision and Antagonistic token when they could've saved themselves (and sometimes their cylon ally) by putting down a Benevolent token instead.
--If you manage to keep your total Trauma tokens to a minimum, it's sheer luck that you'll draw 3 of the incorrect type. Or less so with 2 of the wrong type.

I suppose you could always just take out the Xroads cards that gives trauma to others and replace them or those effects with something better. If you sleeve your cards, slipping in a sheet of paper will accomplish this quite well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Simply removing the Crossroads cards with no other changes is a broken variant because there's no longer any incentive for players to play unfriendly trauma tokens on allies. I'm sure it's possible to come up with variants which don't use them, but in order for the module to work there needs to be some significant penalty for holding onto opposite faction trauma tokens.

Hm, thinking on it further...it *might* work if everyone started with 5 or 6 trauma instead and/or only 2 trauma was required for boxing/execution, but 3 definitely wouldn't be enough, as without the Crossroads cards trauma gain is infrequent enough that they're be very little incentive to play opposite faction tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
fizzmore wrote:
Simply removing the Crossroads cards with no other changes is a broken variant because there's no longer any incentive for players to play unfriendly trauma tokens on allies. I'm sure it's possible to come up with variants which don't use them, but in order for the module to work there needs to be some significant penalty for holding onto opposite faction trauma tokens.

The OP was only talking about removing the CR cards, not removing the Trial/Boxing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
fizzmore wrote:

The OP was only talking about removing the CR cards, not removing the Trial/Boxing.

Yep, but as my edit elaborated, if the only change is removing CR cards the boxing threat is almost always an insufficient motivation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.