Popular Tags: [View All]
Flawed Hero
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

#1) During phase 4 of a player's turn, if there are tiles right behind the starting player's pawn, they are removed and new one(s) are placed at the end of the chain, so that chain once again begins with a pawn. Why bother having that rule? There will still be a clear starting player for a round, even if the chain begins with a tile instead of a pawn.

#2) at the end of the game, where anyone with more tiles than the least person is penalized 3 points for each extra tile. What's the reason for this when a player, by clever use of their pawn, simply may have gotten more turns than other players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim K wrote:

#1) During phase 4 of a player's turn, if there are tiles right behind the starting player's pawn, they are removed and new one(s) are placed at the end of the chain, so that chain once again begins with a pawn. Why bother having that rule? There will still be a clear starting player for a round, even if the chain begins with a tile instead of a pawn.

No, there won't be. Try setting up the game with four pawns positioned randomly amidst an assortment of tiles. Then invite people into the room one at a time and ask them whose turn it is. They won't have any idea - at least not if they understand how turn order works in Glen More.

Quote:
#2) at the end of the game, where anyone with more tiles than the least person is penalized 3 points for each extra tile. What's the reason for this when a player, by clever use of their pawn, simply may have gotten more turns than other players?

I would argue that getting extra turns in a game like this is the opposite of clever. It is the obvious way to go without some incentive on the other side of the balance, and jumping ahead to a good tile doesn't come anywhere close to outweighing extra turns, given the potential to crank VPs in Glen More. The -3 per tile penalty means that players who take extra turns really have to make them count. An 8-tile board can beat a 14-tile board, and vice versa, and either way the players have to make tough choices. Without the penalty, the 8-tile player is a complete idiot making terrible choices, and the 14-tile player is simply doing the obvious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
And what become of her new straw hat that should have come to me?
mbmbmbmbmb
#2. Thematically (historical inaccuracy notwithstanding), I liken the 3 point loss to a land tax against the extra wealthy.cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheamus Parkes
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The "-3vp Tax" is there so that you have to evaluate if each tile you take is going to be worth *at least* 3vp. It adds a marginal cost to each tile.

I just view it as a rule to penalize someone from just taking every tile available to them in sequential order. If there were no cost for a tile, then every tile would be positive points so you should just maximize the number of tiles you take...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flawed Hero
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
Jim K wrote:

No, there won't be. Try setting up the game with four pawns positioned randomly amidst an assortment of tiles. Then invite people into the room one at a time and ask them whose turn it is. They won't have any idea - at least not if they understand how turn order works in Glen More.

But as long as there is still the empty space there to act as a buffer, it should be easy to spot where the chain begins, regardless of if it starts with a tile or a pawn; I thought that was the point of the empty space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim K wrote:
JohnRayJr wrote:
Jim K wrote:

But as long as there is still the empty space there to act as a buffer, it should be easy to spot where the chain begins, regardless of if it starts with a tile or a pawn; I thought that was the point of the empty space.

I see. I think I misunderstood. So you're saying, leave the tiles, but keep a single empty space behind them, and the first player is always clockwise from this space?

That would work for turn order but it would also clutter the display with tiles that players have skipped over - meaning they don't want them. Some tiles could conceivably come back into demand, but in many cases they will not. Round 2 tiles tend to be better than round 1 tiles, and leaving skipped tiles on the board would create pockets of disinterest. It would also make the game longer and less variable. One of the strong points of Glen More is that players control the pacing. Another strong point is that players develop focused strategies, and removing tiles from the game has small and interesting ripple effects on those strategies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flawed Hero
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
Jim K wrote:

I see. I think I misunderstood. So you're saying, leave the tiles, but keep a single empty space behind them, and the first player is always clockwise from this space?

That would work for turn order but it would also clutter the display with tiles that players have skipped over - meaning they don't want them. Some tiles could conceivably come back into demand, but in many cases they will not. Round 2 tiles tend to be better than round 1 tiles, and leaving skipped tiles on the board would create pockets of disinterest. It would also make the game longer and less variable. One of the strong points of Glen More is that players control the pacing. Another strong point is that players develop focused strategies, and removing tiles from the game has small and interesting ripple effects on those strategies.

Yep, that's exactly what I meant. your response makes sense too, in order to keep the tiles more fresh. BTW JohnRay, your posts here on the Geek on Twilight Struggle are classic. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim K wrote:
BTW JohnRay, your posts here on the Geek on Twilight Struggle are classic. cool

I'm trying to branch out in these new and strange "Glen More Forums."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim K wrote:

Those tiles have already been passed over by all players. The reason they're removed is that they're now inaccessible garbage, rather than starting player issues. If you didn't clear them, the current player wouldn't have the full amount of tiles to choose from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
Jim K wrote:

Those tiles have already been passed over by all players. The reason they're removed is that they're now inaccessible garbage, rather than starting player issues. If you didn't clear them, the current player wouldn't have the full amount of tiles to choose from.

Yeah, the tiles are basically 1 long line. They used a circular track so that the board didn't have to be 7 feet wide
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clearing the skipped over tiles means that if you bypass a tile, you can't get it anymore.

So you must plan carefully which tiles you want before passing them over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.