Heusenstamm
Hessen
flag msg tools
publisher
Editor
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there.....

so I'm totally digging the Cthulu Mythos and I want to buy Arkham Horror.
What I don't understand is how the expansions work. Do you need to play with them all? How are you doing it? I understand that you get revised stuff and cards in Dunwich, but others reccommend Innsmouth as the best expansion. Can I just buy Innsmouth and not miss out, or am I lacking revised stuff from Dunwich then?

Okay that's like a millions questions..... I'd be totally grateful if you could answer a few my fellow BGG helper monkeys ;-)

btw. I already pre-ordered Mansions of Madness.. hoping it will be awesome.

-ben

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play with any one, or any set of expansions - though there are some useful threads here where people suggest the best combos. Running with every expansion would be hard work. Running with one large box (e.g. Dunwich) and one small (e.g. KiY) is recommended.

I only have one expansion, and have still not played it. I don't yet feel I've done the base game properly. That's about 7 or 8 plays in. Once I feel I'm seeing the same stuff over and again, I'll add the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Roop
United States
Mendon
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, Ben, the base game has hours of replayability on it's own. The Big Box expansions add more content, side stories, Ancient Ones, Investigators, and extra boards representing other cities/areas around Arkham. The Small Box expansions add additional side stories and some type of new storyline with an additional way to win/loose. Both type of expansion add some type of new mechanic that changes the way characters interact with each other or develop storyline for the characters. I own all but the latest expansions and they can be fun to add in. But the base game can be fun enough on it's own. As this is a game of "atmosphere" and "storyline", it gets it's fun from watching the story develop. While there are SOME hardcore gamers that insist on playing with all expansions together, this tends to dilude the storyline of the expansions. goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The following three expansions are what is called "big box" expansions. This means that they add another location to the game besides Arkham which means an additional board. Most of the cards that come with these expansions can only be used with that particular expansion, as the cards will reference locations only found on the expansion board. You can use 1, 2, or all 3 combined, but it would make for a very large game requiring a lot of table space

Arkham Horror: Dunwich Horror Expansion
Arkham Horror: Innsmouth Horror Expansion
Arkham Horror: Kingsport Horror Expansion

These are all "small box expansions, which means that they're basically just extra cards, no new boards. However, each new small box expansion will add new elements to the game. You can pick and choose which elements to add, but it becomes very confusing to try and keep track, so it's recommended that if you do use one, use all that comes with it. As stated above, it is possible to use, all, none or just some of these together.

Arkham Horror: The Black Goat of the Woods Expansion
Arkham Horror: The King in Yellow Expansion
Arkham Horror: The Lurker at the Threshold Expansion
Arkham Horror: Curse of the Dark Pharaoh Expansion

The thing to remember is that the expansion cards will have little symbols printed on them to identify them as expansion cards, and from which expansion they come from. That way, you can always separate them back out if you don't like them

My own personal experience is that the small ones really aren't that necessary - the base game works just fine. I haven't used any of the bigger ones yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Schoenheiter
Germany
Heusenstamm
Hessen
flag msg tools
publisher
Editor
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys. I was just wondering if Dunwich was sort of essential since it features a new FAQ and Errata cards. I do agree that i don't want to dilute to much of the game experience. Then again, I don't whink I will be able to, say, use Dunwich items (but not the board), and only play with Innsmouth to use the Deep One Rising track, or I am wrong?

That's what's prevented me from wanting to buy Arkham before. I got totally intimidated buy the sheer amount of extra stuff available, and I'm sort of compulsive in wanting to have the "full" experience as it was meant to be. But I can't imagine you can play a game of Arkham Horror with all expansions in any reasonable amount of time....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
You can get the latest FAQ (including the stuff you get in Dunwich) for free download on the FFG site, so that's not an issue.

That's all you need. The FAQ is useful - but there's no need to have the box. Like I said, I've yet to add anything to the base game.

Be aware though - the base game can easily take 3 - 4 hours so "reasonable amounts of time" are open to personal views!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Coyote
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll echo what Beloch stated. You need to get the mechanics of the game 'fine tuned' before you start adding expansions. That means playing a lot, either solo or in groups. There are phases that must be done exactly in the right sequence each round or it can really 'mess up' the game. Its really a great game, almost no two games are the same, and the sequence is not hard to master, BUT it must basically follow the same way in each round. Some expansions add some twists and if you haven't got the basic round sequence mastered, it will drive you insane.:whatSorry couldn't resist that) Hard to explain unless youve actually played. ie: Something as trivial as the wrong player moving first in a round, and the other players following that sequence can really disrupt strategy, give someone an unfair advantage, or even worse (for me anyway) you'll feel like youve unknowingly cheated the game. Oh, also don't dispair while you're learning...Its not uncommon for your investigators to often become 'Shagothwiches.'gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy the base game and give it a few plays. I am sure you will find that the experience isn't missing a feeling of "fullness" in any way. The base game is complete, thematic and self-contained. William is correct; it will also take you a few games until you feel confident regarding the mechanics. You wouldn't be able to enjoy either the base game or an expansion if you tried to bite off too much too quickly.

Only after a few plays would I consider Dunwich or Innsmouth. Dunwich has a less relevant expansion board but contains fun new elements (gate bursts, injury and madness cards). Innsmouth has a more arresting (sorry) expansion board and controls the theme of the game more (the preoccupation with the Deep One menace hovers). If you reach a point of proficiency with the game you likely will find that one of these two expansions will become an essential part of the game for you.

I also am a Cthulhu Mythos fan but have put the brakes on my need to be a completist in order to digest each expansion properly. Taking things one step at a time will allow you to enjoy this great game for what it is rather than feeling overwhelmed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Schoenheiter
Germany
Heusenstamm
Hessen
flag msg tools
publisher
Editor
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the advice. In a few months I'll be coming back and will ask for help with the expansions But for now, thanks for all the awesome help- This is why I love the BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Clarke
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played base Arkham with a friends copy but it was a bit easy I found, so when I bought it for myself I bought Dunwich Horror at the same time which makes the difficulty about right.

I now have all the big expansions and two of the smaller expansions though generally I leave out the small expansions and a random one (or sometimes two) of the larger expansion boards.

In hindsight I wouldn't have bothered buying the small expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.