Jason
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello All:

This coming Monday marks six months for me as a registered user on the Geek. (Also six months since I actually found the Geek as I registered that first day.) Since that time I have found entirely new groups of games to enjoy using the Geeklists and the database, traded 3 times using the Geek's trade manager (6 games total), used the Gamer's Database to find new people to play with, started the process of converting my wife to a gamer, tracked all of my boardgames played, and made some new friends along the way.

From the number of new members out there just since I have joined, I would guess that there are at least a few out there that like me hadn't heard about most of these games before finding the website EVEN THOUGH we have been GAMERS all our lives. I enjoyed Stratego, Risk, and HeroQuest as a kid. I grew up with the Atari 2600 and the 8-bit Nintendo, and as someone who grew up on a farm far away from other kids I designed games for myself to play solo. I also read voraciously. I dabbled in pen and paper RPGs in seventh and eighth grade. (mostly AD&D in the Ravenloft world and some DragonLance) With the exception of several late night Axis and Allies games, I pretty much ignored games through high school as my young male mind was devoted to other more physical endeavors.

By college in the mid-90s the pursuit of girls once again receded to the background as I had already found my special someone (whom I later married). I got into Magic when it was fairly new and did not yet have the spoiled geek-child stigma it would develop through the onslaught of new "Tween" players that graduated from Pokemon, Yu-gi-oh and the like. It was a time when no one used net decks or financed themselves into a killer deck through purchases. We just played (a lot). First, it was just us guys and then our wives/girlfriends joined in. It was also the years of Doom, Duke Nukem3d, Civilization 2, and Heroes of Might and Magic. I was sucked back into the electronic world of gaming I enjoyed on the old nintendo, but this time with new consoles and the PCs. However, unlike some of the members here I don't see such gaming as anti-social. For my group it was far from it. We played all our games face to face as a group either huddled around a console for seasons of Tecmo Super Bowl or Madden or with our PCs linked together in a LAN for Doom, Diablo1, etc. (All hail dorm life).

This period of my life ended when I moved away from these college buddies and attended law school. I stopped playing Magic as all the "new" players I met were ultra-competitive suitcase teens who couldn't build a good deck if they wanted to. Instead, they just pulled them off the net. I stopped videogaming as it was dull solo. However, I then met a new group of guys, and we played poker regularly for three years. Then I graduated and moved yet again to practice law. A first year associate at a big firm works 70-80 hour weeks and gaming just fell off my radar for three years. Which brings us to last year and the discovery of the Geek. My life situation had changed due to illness and I found myself with time to game again. I dabbled in Magic again buying some Mirrodin block cards and going to some Friday Night Magic, but it wasn't the same as in college. The game had actually changed for the better, but the crowd had changed, and I didn't really meet any new people that I really wanted to get to know. Then last summer a local gamestore went belly-up and sold of their stuff at clearance. I found and purchased a number of the new Eagle games on the cheap. Doing research on them I found the Geek and joined last October. Since then I have recorded 149 games played (45 unique games-none of them the Eagle games I first came to research), and I have converted my wife into a gamer using the games found here.

I am writing this post to thank Derk and Aldie for this site, to thank those who have been helpful along the way. I am also writing to inquire whether anyone would be interested in a Geeklist that chronicled the games I've played over this six month period, which ones worked to convert my wife, and which ones fell flat for a gamer with my background.

If there is interest, I'll get to work on it to try to have it ready by the middle of next week. If not, then I won't waste the time or server space to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to see your list. I have only been here about three months.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be very interested!

Sounds great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Little
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
go for it!! gaming timelines are always interesting -- just be sure to include any interesting anecdotes or details!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason, if you put the same kind of effort into your list as you did your post, that will be an awesome Geeklist ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
If you wanna make a GeekList, then go ahead and do it; that's what they're for!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Robinson
England
Bewdley
Confusion
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the joys of the Geek is virtually no censorship. If you want to do it, then you jolly well go ahead and do it. I'm with you all the way. There's always room for timeline lists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Thanks to everybody for the quick and enthusiastic responses. I was originally planning on formatting much like a five and dime list with each game that I've played at least twice since joining the Geek (and memorable one-play games) listed with comments or stories about the playing of the game, how I first found the game, and whether the game worked for me or for my wife. However, after giving it more thought and considering the responses here, I think that a more interesting approach would be a chronologic one like I used to describe my background above.

As for Sam's post:
Quote:
If you wanna make a GeekList, then go ahead and do it; that's what they're for!

I agree. However, I didn't want to just add to the noise. I wanted to make sure that this would be content that at least a few others would be interested in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank da man
Thailand
Chumpohn
Chumpohn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
even in a far away country one finger goes up, so, do it man

by the way, you have a creepy looking avatar...what is this exactly ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank,

When it came time to pick an avatar I wanted something that would be memorable. Specifically, I wanted one that reflects my name . . . Jason. Unfortunately, there are really not that many images that evoke the name Jason. In fact the only famous Jason's I could think of are baseball players, Jason of the Argonauts, and Jason Voorhees of Friday the 13th fame(the movie series). I didn't want a picture of a real person, so I went with the most recognizable image of Jason from the Friday the 13th series: Jason's bloody hockey mask. It doesn't really reflect my personality, but it is memorable and recognizable to most (or most Americans at least).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank da man
Thailand
Chumpohn
Chumpohn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jasonofindy wrote:

Jason's bloody hockey mask.

ah, i had the feellng, that i know it, but couldn´t put my finger on it...

Jasonofindy wrote:

It doesn't really reflect my personality

hopefully not

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The root of all evil... but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hmmm and I really liked it cause I figured you were horror movie buff like me! As for your list in my perusing your profile you seem to have a lot of similiar gaming interests as myself and some of your comments about games were things I think pretty much exactly. So I'd love to see your list. I've been "registered" for about 5 months, but was a BGG lurker for a few months before I signed up. I have this "thing" about arbitraily signing up for every website out there but that's just me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Ridgeway
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Mark. If your Geeklist is as well written as this post was, then I'd love to read it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jasonofindy wrote:
I am also writing to inquire whether anyone would be interested in a Geeklist that chronicled the games I've played over this six month period, which ones worked to convert my wife, and which ones fell flat for a gamer with my background.

Definitely. But may as well do your whole gaming life. I think each and every one of us should tell our gaming lives story as a single geeklist (if we write it well). See my geektags:

"from_childhood_to_present_day:trip_into_gaming_bio"
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=viewtagged...

my favorites are:
My crooked mile of gaming (by Chris Pieters)
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...
What a Long, Strange Trip (by Randy Cox )
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ron lee)
United States
baton rouge
Louisiana
flag msg tools
jason in friday the 13th has a strong work ethic. No matter what happens to bring him down, he always seems to get right back up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes do a geeklist!

But not a simple five and dime list!gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.