Popular Tags: [View All]
Jarvis
United States
Brisbane
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This duel with Tina was our first play with the G-deck. The game was played a few hours before the superbowl kickoff. The superbowl is currently a blowout (21-3), so I'm typing this up while half-watching the tv.

In order to assign our occupations and minor improvements, we created a game on play-agricola.com on separate computers, then retrieved the cards that came up in our initial hands. I really liked this method, since it allowed me to keep the cards organized. I plan to sort all the cards eventually, and use this method exclusively. If there is a program that is as up-to-date as play-agricola.com in that it allows any combination of decks, please let me know. I saw one program that only has E, I, K.

First player by random assignment was Tina. She grabbed two food, I took three, and play began.

Round 1: Take 1 sheep

T: Occupation - Wheedler - Whenever you receive Food from an Action space, you receive 1 additional Food. This benefit does not apply to Food gained due to an Improvement or Occupation.
J: Take 3 wood (+3w)
T: Take 1 grain (+1g)
J: Start player + Birthstone - Whenever you grow your family, you may pay 1 Stone for 1 Bonus point. When you play Birthstone, you may immediately do this for any new Family member that you already received this round.

Tina gets the Wheedler in play and grabs a very early grain. I chop wood and grab starting player, putting down the cute Birthstone. The Birthstone seemed great when I read the card, and would be worth a full three points if I could both acquire stone before first growth and grow to a full family of 5.

Round 2: Fences

J: Take 1 reed (+2r)
T: Take 3 wood (+3w)
J: Take 1 clay (+2c)
T: Start player + Migrant Workers (-2w) Whenever you use the "Day Laborer" Action space, you may immediately pay 1 Food to Plow 1 field.

Note: Coming back to writing after watching the half-time show. Black Eyed Peas put on a great show!

I scoop the stacked reed and clay. Tina hauls wood and grabs the start player, powering up the day laborer space to pay one of the food for a plowed field. Since day laborer gets an extra food from the Wheedler, this looks to be a nice combo.

Round 3: Major Improvement or Minor Improvement

J: Fishing (+3f)
T: Day Laborer (+2f, +1f Wheedler, +1 plowed field/-1f Migrant Workers)
J: MI/MI - Fireplace (-2c)

Tina hauls timber and then takes advantage of her Day Laborer buffs: it now nets her two food and a plowed field every time she visits. I go fish and then build a fireplace.

Round 4: Sow and/or Bake bread

T: Take 1 reed (+2r)
T: Take 1 clay (+2c)
J: Take 1 sheep (+4sh, burn 3, -3sh, +6 food)

We continue to work on materials for rooms: Tina takes reed, I take wood. Tina then picks up a weak 2 clay: not sure why she needs it when I already picked up the cheaper fireplace. I take the heavily stacked sheep, and burn most of them.

First harvest has nothing special.

Round 5: Renovate and MI/MI

J: Build room (+1 wood room, -5w, -2r)
T: Day Laborer (+2f, +1f Wheedler, +1 plowed field/-1f Migrant Workers)
J: Occupation - Singer (+2s) When you play this card, you receive 2 (same or different) building resources of your choice.

Tina gets enough timber to build a room, so I am forced to go there first. Tina then uses her powered up Day Laborer again, and I bring out the singer, taking two stone. This prepares me to present a birthstone to my firstborn, whenever he/she arrives.

Round 6: Take 1 stone

T: Occupation - Businesswoman (-1f) When you play this card, immediately play up to 2 Improvements (any combination of Major and Minor) by paying their costs. She brings out two minors:
-Shovel (-1w, -1c) Whenever you use the "Day Laborer" Action space, you may immediately afterward take the "Sow" action.
-Clear Cutting (-1w) Whenever you Plow 1 or more fields, you receive 1 Wood from the supply for each field you just plowed.
J: Starting player + Hired Helpers (-1f) Each round, you may place 1 Guest token as you would a Family member. If you do this, you must place 1 fewer person next round. You can not use this ability in consecutive round nor in Round 14.
T: Build room (+1 wood room, -5w, -2r)
J: Fishing (+3f)

Tina uses the businesswoman to make Day Laborer even stronger. At this point if she activates all of her minors, Day Laborer can provide two food, a plowed field, a wood, and a "sow" action. I jump on starting player to ensure first growth next round, and I set down hired helpers since I have food to spare and it seems situationally good. Tina builds a room, and I fish.

Round 7: Family Growth and Minor Improvement

J: Family Growth (activate birthstone, -1s), Seasonal Plants - Whenever you Sow during an even-numbered round, add 1 additional resource of the appropriate type to 1 field you just sowed.
T: Day Laborer (+2f, +1f Wheedler, sow 1 grain field with Shovel)
J: Take 3 wood (+6w)
T: Take 1 clay (+3c)

I make a baby and give it a birthstone. Tina uses day laborer to grab three food and sow a grain field. I take a pile of wood and Tina takes a pile of clay.

Another normal harvest.

Round 8: Take 1 wild boar

J: Take 1 reed (+4r)
T: Day Laborer (+2f, +1f Wheedler, +1pf/-1f Migrant Workers, +1w Clear Cutting, +1 grain field Shovel)
T: Family growth + Gimlet (-1w, -1c) Pay 1 less Wood/Clay/Stone for each Wood/Clay/Stone room. Each round you build stables, pay 1 less Wood for up to 2 stables.
J: Build room (+1 wood room, +2 stables, -9w, -2r)
J: (Using guest from Hired Helpers) Take 1 sheep (+4sh, burn 2, -2sh, +4f)

I grab a stack of reed and some wood, then build a room. I finish by taking advantage of Hired Helpers to grab the sheep before they're gone, filling my house plus breeding stables setup. Tina continues to use the powered-up Day Laborer, and gets her first growth while setting down the pointed minor, Gimlet.

Round 9: Take 1 Vegetable

J: Take 1 stone (+4s)
T: Take 1 vegetable (+1v)
J: Family growth (activate birthstone) + Hayloft (-1w) At the end of the game, you receive 1/2 Bonus points for 3/4 stables.
T: Fishing (+3f, +1f Wheedler)
T: Day Laborer (+2f, +1f Wheedler, +1pf/-1f Migrant Workers, +1w Clear Cutting, +1 vegetable field Shovel)

One of my family members stays home since I used an extra the round before. I take a pile of stone and grow again, giving this baby a birthstone as well (no playing favorites here). My minor improvement assumes I'll be building more stables. You know what happens when I assume things. Tina takes a vegetable, grabs four food from the fishing hole, and unleashes the power of Day Laborer once again, this time with a vegetable field being planted.

At harvest Tina takes two grain and a vegetable from her fields. We both make normal food payments - I cycle my three sheep for a net gain of two food with the fireplace.

Round 10: Take 1 stone

J: Take 3 wood (+6w)
T: Take 1 clay (+3c)
J: Occupation (-1f) Hoemaker - Whenever you build at least 1 fence, you may also pay 1 food to Plow 1 field.
T: Take 1 reed (+2r)
J: Fences (1x2 around a stable, -6w, +1 plowed field/-1f Hoemaker)
T: Take 1 stone (+1s)
J: Take 1 boar (+3 boar, burn 1 sheep, -1sh/+2f)

I take wood, get out the Hoemaker, build fences utilizing the hoemaker, and grab breeding pigs. Tina takes stacked clay, stacked reed, and a stone.

Round 11: Take 1 cow

J: Start player, no improvement
T: Renovate and MI/MI: 3 clay rooms (-2c Gimlet, -1r), Clay Oven (-3c, -1s), bake 1 grain (-1g, +5f)
J: Take 1 sheep (+3sh, burn 3, -3sh, +6f)
T: Occupation (-1f) Master Baker's Apprentice - When you play this card, mark a revealed Action space with an Arrow marker. This Action space now has the added text "and/or Bake bread." Whenever another player Bakes bread using this space, you receive 1 Food from the general supply. When you play this card, you may also take the "Bake bread" action.
Tina bakes (-1g, +5f)
J: Take 1 vegetable (+1v)
T: Day Laborer (+2f, +1f Wheedler, +1pf/-1f Migrant Workers, +1w Clear Cutting, +1 vf from Shovel)
J: Take 1 grain (+1g)

I snag starting player to get whatever comes in Round 12. Tina follows with renovating to clay and getting out the clay oven, baking a grain. I burn sheep and Tina gets out the baker's apprentice, and of course, puts the marker on Day Laborer. Probably overkill - we'll see. I finish things by grabbing a vegetable and a grain (so I'm ready for plow&sow if it comes). Tina uses Day Laborer again, doing everything but baking).

Harvest has normal feeding. Tina pulls off two grain and a vegetable from her fields, I gain a piglet.

Round 12: Plow 1 Field and/or Sow

J: Plow & sow (+1pf, +1gf/+1vf, 1 extra vegetable on that field from Seasonal Plants)
T: Take 3 wood (+6w)
J: Start player, no improvement
T: Take 1 stone (+3s)
J: Plow 1 field (+1pf)
T: Take 1 cow (+2 cows, 1 runs away)
J: Take 1 boar (+2 pigs)

I plow and get crops in the ground, including a bonus veggie from seasonal plants. Tina gives it some thought, and decides to take the stacked wood instead of starting player, which would guarantee her next growth. I pick up start player, plow a field, and bring home some pigs. Tina takes a pile of stone and a cow home.

Round 13: Family Growth w/o space

J: Family growth w/o, activate birthstone (-1s)
J: Take 1 stone (+3s)
T: Day Laborer (+2f, +1f Wheedler, +1pf/-1f Migrant Workers, +1w Clear Cutting, +2vf, +2gf from Shovel)
J: Take 1 reed (+3r)
T: Fishing (+4f, +1f Wheedler)
J: Take 1 sheep (+2sh, burn 2, -2sh/+4f)

I get my fifth family member/third birthstone point, and Tina spikes the wood. I take a pile of stone, naively thinking I might renovate to clay and stone next turn - misplayed*. Tina uses the Day Laborer again, this time planting four fields with the sow action - my "plow 1 field & sow action" is jealous of her day laborer. I scoop more reed with my eyes set on the basketmaker's workshop and burn two sheep. Tina scoops 5 food from the fishing space.

*At this point there are 3 clay on the clay spot, so I have to wait until next turn for there to be enough clay for my renovation. I should already know Tina intends to Renovate + Fences, as she has all the ingredients required.

In this harvest, Tina collects three veggies and three grain, while I collect 1 of each. Tina ate normal food. I ate 5 food, cycled a pig for 2 food, and ate a sheep for 2 food.

Round 14: Renovate and Fences

J: Take 1 clay (+4c)
T: Renovate and fences - 3 stone rooms (-2s Gimlet, -1r), fenced a 2x3 pasture split into 2 (-12w)
J: Take 1 cow (+2 cows, burn 1, -1cow/+3f)
T: Take 1 boar (+2 pigs)
J: Plow 1 field & sow (+1pf, +1vf/+1gf, 1 extra grain from Seasonal Plants)
T: Family growth w/o space
J: Renovate + MI/MI - 4 clay rooms (-4c, -1r), Basketmaker's Workwhop (-2s, -2r)
J: Plow 1 field (+1pf)

In the final push I scramble for clay, grab a pair of cows, putting one in the house and one in the bbq, farm my plants vigorously, make one big push for points with a renovate/major improvement combo, and plow one last field. Tina upgrades to stone and fills her entire farm by fencing, brings home a couple of pigs, and bring on her fourth farmer. One harvest and we tally scores.

In the final harvest we both take 2grain/2veggies off our fields. Tina eats 7 normal food. I eat 4 food, 2 pigs, and 1 veggie. We both receive a piglet at game end.

Final scoring:

Fields: T4, J4
Pastures: T2, J1
Grain: T3, J3
Veggies: T4, J3
Sheep: T-1, J1
Boar: T2, J3
Cows: T1, J1
Unused: T0, J-3
Fenced stables: T0, J1
Clay rooms: T0, J4
Stone rooms: T6, J0
Family: T12, J15
Cards: T3, J3
Bonus: T0, J4 (3 from birthstones, 1 from basketmaker's)

Final: Tina 36, Jarvis 40.

Post-game ruminations:

Tina's day laborer combo was ludicrous. It was very fun to see it in action. I enjoyed the birthstone/singer combo to ensure birthstones would be presented to every baby.

Tina did much better in competing for first build/first growth than our last game, as she was only one round behind me. Based on the early game, she was in great position. I think she doomed herself when she neglected to push for another growth. I had an action advantage from Round 9 on. As strong as her Day Laborer was, my action advantage took a win.

My worst misplays were the stone pickup and the hayloft. I really should have upgraded my fireplace to a cooking hearth - I could easily have replaced the stone grab with that, but probably should have fit it in earlier.

When we were discussing the game afterwards, I asked Tina what she thought about the balance between the bread/grain strategy and the animal eating strategy in a 2-player game. My thought was that, if the other player isn't competing for animals, it results in a lot of easy food and points for the rancher. Tina seemed to agree. She thought maybe she should have grabbed a cooking hearth rather than waiting for a clay oven: this would allow her to compete with me for animals, as well as bake grain from her powerful Day Laborer farming strategy.

Any thoughts on the game and our play would be much appreciated. Feedback on my session reporting (this was my second Agricola report) would also be welcome.

Thumbs up for the superbowl recovering from a possible blowout. I was glad it was a competitive game.

Cheers and happy farming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Reynolds
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only have one comment (not enough time for more).
I think Tina was playing the Gimlet wrong. As I read through your play it seemed that it was used to discount renovations but from the description given it should be a discount when building rooms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarvis
United States
Brisbane
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Avron wrote:
I only have one comment (not enough time for more).
I think Tina was playing the Gimlet wrong. As I read through your play it seemed that it was used to discount renovations but from the description given it should be a discount when building rooms.

I just checked the card - you're 100% right. Thanks for pointing it out. We won't repeat that mistake!

Luckily she had a leftover stone and clay, so I don't think it would have changed anything in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Another fine report, JJ. I think Tina's first error was the grain grab in Round One, since it went unused for a full six Rounds. Better would have been to immediately put the Wheedler to task, either on the DL, or (possibly better) by spiking the pond. Play the card, use the card. Her next boo-boo was letting you get the 2Clay. With a 50-50 shot at MIMI the next Round (which indeed happened), and especially since you'd already taken the reed, it's imperative that she impede your food engine. Failing in that, she should have spiked fishing in Round Three, and then scattered the woolies to the wind (and letting you torch four more of the little lambchops in Round Eight pretty much sealed that deal). Her DL gambit was interesting, but premature. She ended up giving you way too much leeway in feeding, and thus fell behind in the growth struggle and was never able to recover.

I'll also admit I looked askance at your play of the Birthstone, but once you popped out the Singer, all was clear.

No matter, fine report and obviously an entertaining game. And I hope you realize you've spoiled us and we now expect pictures with each and every report.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shields
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Does the Wheedler work on Day Laborer?

I had assumed it only worked on Fishing and TP (the spaces you pile food on). Geoff seems to think it works though, so I'm probably wrong!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarvis
United States
Brisbane
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TwitchBot wrote:

Does the Wheedler work on Day Laborer?

I had assumed it only worked on Fishing and TP (the spaces you pile food on). Geoff seems to think it works though, so I'm probably wrong!

The way the Wheedler reads, you collect an extra 1 food any time you use an action space that results in food being collected. The only restriction noted is this is not activated based on improvements or occupations that generate food. This rules out bonus food from immediately cooking animals, mushroom collector bonus when taking wood, etc.

Off the top of my head, this means it would apply to fishing, traveling players, day laborer, reed/stone/food, and the 5-player sheep+1food space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike T
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, Wheedler works on any action space that directly provides food. That includes Traveling Players, Fishing, Day Laborer, Reed/Stone/Food, Sheep/Food, additional action spaces like the Tavern, and action spaces that have a food on them because of Foreman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
smcmike wrote:
...additional action spaces like the Tavern, and action spaces that have a food on them because of Foreman.

These two prompt the question, Mike: aren't these both violations of the restriction against food provided by Improvements and/or Occupations? Just askin'...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike T
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
There was a lot of fighting over the wording of this card near the end of play-testing. I argued that it should work as I said above, with both Tavern and Foreman, and I think the final text is an attempt to accomplish this, though it is pretty confusing I suppose.

Tavern and Foreman are two seperate issues, though.

Foreman doesn't directly give you food, it merely enhances an action space, similar to Wood Distributor. It seems natural that Wheedler should work with it, similar to Berry Picker with Distributor.

The reason I think it should work with Tavern is that, althought it is an improvement, it is also an action space that provides food directly. I could see going the other way on this one according to the final language, but I do wish it would work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Roger that, and thanks for the reply. I note that Eugene's "unofficial" text in the latest edition of the Unofficial Agricola Compendium agrees with your comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Shin
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Singer + Birthstone was not really such a great combo, in my opinion. The way you used the Singer, it was basically a card that reads, "This is worth 2 bonus points." But plowing a field is also worth 2 bonus points, with the added utility of providing you a place to sow, not to mention saving you 1f. If you needed the occupation to satisfy requirements for some minors, then maybe the play was justified, but I don't think I see any such minor in the report.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.