Popular Tags: [View All]
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished five games of Scenario 21, St Agatha's, with line Americans squaring off against line Italians on Sicily in '43.

I played Americans in the first two games and use the superior range of those squads and their HMG to plink and pick apart the shorter-ranged Italians on the hills ahead.

Third game I played Italians, and Donna did the same to me, a very fine series of close assaults making great use of the American melee FP of 7 against the Italian melee FP of only 4. Lots of Italian Mammas never saw their little cardboard sons again. Nonetheless, I was scratching for every point, exited some, and looked like I might win until Donna got the (despised by me) "Battlefield Integrity" event, for nine 'free' points, putting the game on ice. (Does anybody house-rule that occasionally abusive event? If so, how?)

Tried a different plan for the fourth game. I set up the Italians against the right board edge, from their perspective, as close as possible to the American setup hexes. Donna made a serious mistake and decided to let me roll on past, intending to scoop up all the objectives, but I managed to exit EVERYONE before the first time trigger, winning suddenly, convincingly, and cheezily.

For the fifth game, same setup as before for my Italians, and Donna set up a solid defense between my boys and her own board edge. I managed to blast and melee through this American wall. Furio, Fascist Hero appeared in an Italian-occupied hex. I immediately managed to exit everybody else with a move order, for a substantial lead, but the game continued while Furio stood there looking around. A long dearth of Italian move orders allowed Donna to capture all of the objectives and exit every one of the surviving Americans, leaving Furio as the ONLY unit on the map, and ending the game with a 20 point American victory. PFUI. Game 5 also ended before the first time trigger.

Strange game, and a disappointing loss, but still pretty fun.

I had Furio arrested and shot by firing squad for failure to obey his officers' orders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bishop
United Kingdom
Lytham St. Annes
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chicklewis wrote:
, and looked like I might win until Donna got the (despised by me) "Battlefield Integrity" event, for nine 'free' points, putting the game on ice. (Does anybody house-rule that occasionally abusive event? If so, how?)

Yes that event and 'Command & Control' almost seem like points for nothing and can have huge effects depending upon the stage of the game they occur (i.e C&C at the start for the defender when he controls all objectives or 'Battlefield Integrity' near the end when the casualty count is likely to be high).

Although I have never implemented it I have often thought of using the effects on the corresponding cards in CC Pacific ('Field of Battle' & 'Battlelust') where you get only 1vp if you control more objectives or have fewer casualties respectively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dustin boggs
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
these are my overtexts and
badge
now I am without geek gold :(
mbmbmbmbmb
I have faith that you know what your doing and I am mis-sreading but when all your peps are off the board at any time you loose the game.

6.3 Game End
“Self and three men left. It can’t be much longer.
Good-bye and cheerio.”
—a British officer
at the battle of Sidi Nsir, Tunisia
A game of Combat Commander will generally
end in one of four ways:
1) A player is forced to place one of his
eliminated units in the space of the
Casualty Track occupied by his Surrender
marker;
2) A player’s last remaining unit on the map
is eliminated;
3) A player’s last remaining unit on the map
voluntarily exits the map [7.2.1];
4) A Sudden Death Roll [6.2.2] is made that
is less than the the number in the space
currently occupied by the Time marker.
6.3.1—If the first or second situation above
occurs, that player immediately and automatically
loses the game regardless of the VP
total. If both players simultaneously lose in
this manner, the player holding the Initiative
card breaks the tie and wins the game [9.2].
6.3.2—If the third or fourth situation above
occurs and the first two situations do not apply,
players must reveal any secret Objective
chits and award their VPs to the current controller.
Then, the player with the higher VP
total – that is, the VP marker is on his side
of the “0” space – wins the game. If the VP
marker is in the “0” space, the player holding
the Initiative card wins the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ramkitty wrote:
I have faith that you know what your doing and I am mis-sreading but when all your peps are off the board at any time you loose the game.

You are misreading, because that's not what the rule that you quoted says.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
ramkitty wrote:
when all your peps are off the board at any time you loose the game.

Which can occur in one of two ways - elimination or voluntary exit. The rules you quote explain what happens depending on which method resulted in the last person leaving the map.

6.3.1 for elimination (automatic loss)
6.3.2 for voluntary exit (check VPs)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Borat Sagdiyev
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bishuk wrote:
Although I have never implemented it I have often thought of using the effects on the corresponding cards in CC Pacific ('Field of Battle' & 'Battlelust') where you get only 1vp if you control more objectives or have fewer casualties respectively.

We have been using the above as a house rule in my gaming group even before CCP was published.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good. Last night Donna got SIXTEEN points from that event. Yowee. We were playing scenario 25b, with my German force all shot up, and a surrender level of 17. I managed to win by holding all 5 objective hexes at Sudden death TT9. Donna had 52 points by that time (!) and lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.