Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any good book recommendations to go along with the game Paths of Glory? Looking for something to cover WWI, especially with something that hits the card events. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Shlepov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
We played Star Fluxx, Star Munchkin, Dixit, and, of course, Bomb Alley.
mbmbmbmbmb
A book by designer: http://shop.strategyandtacticspress.com/SearchResults.asp?Ca... My history of WWI: Crowns in the Gutter, available through Decision Games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Guns of August is a great start - an all time classic by Barbara Tuchman. It only covers the opening few months of the war but what an amazing ride it is.

I also really like The First World War by John Keegan. It is a good overview of the whole war.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe C Faust
United States
Hartville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A World Undone: The Story of the Great War, 1914 to 1918 by G.J. Meyer.

Chapters on the history of the war alternate with chapters on historical context. My wife, who has trouble following descriptions and maneuvers of battles, just read the context chapters and enjoyed the book very much that way. Very well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those recommendations sound great - thanks guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
Invicta
mbmbmbmbmb
My current favourite is:

The First World War: a New History, by Hew Strachan.

It tackles head on some of the long-standing 'received wisdom' about this complicated war.

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How is Racier's book, Crowns in the Gutter? I don't see any reviews on Amazon or anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Castles of Steel, by Robert Massie. Well written. Deals with the naval war.

The Great War in Africa: 1914 - 1918, by Byron Farwell. Well written.

Illustrated encyclopedia of World War I editor-in-chief, Peter Young ; editorial board, A.J. Barker ... [et. al.] ; revision editor, Mark Dartford.

(look for the encyclopedias in a public library system, not sure if they can be bought or not - this set of encyclopedias has great articles on many topics)

Just go to http://onmilitarymatters.com/pages/ online bookstore and look at the World War One offerings. Buy several. That should keep a person busy reading for several months or years. On Military Matters is probably the best military bookstore for English language books in the world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John David Galt
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For the Near East theater of the war, I recommend "A Peace to End All Peace" by David Fromkin. This book is more about the intrigues (and some really stupid diplomatic moves by Western countries) than the fighting, but it will sure answer all your questions about why the Middle East is so thoroughly hosed today.

http://www.amazon.com/Peace-End-All-Ottoman-Creation/dp/0805...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Maurer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John Keegan's the First World War is good. I'd also recommend the game Pursuit of Glory as well if you like this time period.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
German Mike
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From one of my older posts:

Quote:
My first interest about WWI was ignited by reading the excellent first-hand accounts 'In Stahlgewittern' by Ernst Jünger and 'Im Westen nichts Neues' by Erich Maria Remarque in German (I prefer Jünger's book). Barbara Tuchman's Pulitzer Prize-winning 'The Guns of August' provides a highly approachable and enjoyable account of the first month of mobile warfare on the Western and Eastern front (I would definitely recommed her book as a 'first read' on this topic). I just recently finished '1914-1918: The History of the First World War' by the British historian David Stevenson (published in the US as 'Cataclysm: The First World War as Political Tragedy'). This almost 800 page book provides a complete overview of the whole conflict from military, strategic (war aims), technological and social aspects. Currently, I am reading the highy enjoyable and thrilling 'Castles of Steel: Britain, Germany and the Winning of the Great War at Sea' by Robert K. Massie. This book focusses on the naval warfare during the Great War and is written as a very gripping and approachable narrative. Also, as I have always loved maps of any kind and shape, the lecture of all of these books is always accompanied by at least the 'West Point Atlas for the Great War' by Thomas E. Greiss and 'A Military Atlas of the First World War' by Arthur Banks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.