Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about melee, magic and ranged attacks. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael D
Australia
flag msg tools
This may seem like a silly question but please bear with me im still new to descent . I played my first game a couple of days back with some mates and in the first 5 mins of the game we were already arguing .I just wanted to know that if a hero attacks a monster which is in an 'adjacent' space can they perform a ranged or magic attack (even though the monster is adjacent), or must the combat be resolved as a melee attack?? (in our case the hero had a magic staff equipped which was a 'magic' type weapon and since the hero was adjacent to the monster we assumed that the hero must use their fists as they had no melee type weapons, which was one red die and a black power die because one of their traits was 'melee') is this right??

Cheers!!!

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Fox
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am fairly certain that you can attack someone who is adjacent to you with a magic or ranged weapon. They don't have a minimum range.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Try to not read things into the rules that aren't there. The rules are very clear about making attacks, and there is nothing in there that says you cannot do a ranged/magic attack from 1 space away (i.e. adjacent). You very much can make a range 1 attack with Ranged or Magic attacks. It is still 1 space away, so if you for some reason roll 0 range, you'll have missed.

Also, there's nothing in the rule that states the Red die is a "melee" die. Sure, all Melee weapons use the Red die and all Melee monsters use the Red die as well, that's not an actual rule and FFG could very easily create an expansion that starts mixing up dice. Plus I believe the Chaos Beast could use the Red die in a ranged attack.

-shnar
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Plus I believe the Chaos Beast could use the Red die in a ranged attack.

It could, as long as he's also using the Blue die; the rules for Morph do specifically say that for it to be a Melee attack, it must use the Red die; to be a Ranged attack, it must use the Blue die; and to be a Magic attack, it must use the White die.

However, you can use more than one of these; you could use the White, Blue, AND Red die if you want, and then you could choose which type of attack it is. (Of course, in so doing you also increase your chances of missing; with 1 such die, you have a about a 16.6% chance of missing; with 2 dice you have a 31% chance of missing; and with all 3 you have a 43% chance of missing).


Apart from that, I agree with shnar - the rules do not say ranged/magic attacks must go at least 2 spaces. You can certainly attack adjacent spaces with such attacks (and, indeed, it's the only way you could attack a figure with both Ghost and Shadowcloak).

In fact, you could attack the SAME square with a ranged/magic attack, too (though this is likely to only really happen with Dark Charm).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D
Australia
flag msg tools
Thanks heaps guys for your help and thanks for the heaps quick responses, Cheers!! looking forward to our next game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic InyokaMadoda
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Also, there's nothing in the rule that states the Red die is a "melee" die. Sure, all Melee weapons use the Red die and all Melee monsters use the Red die as well, that's not an actual rule and FFG could very easily create an expansion that starts mixing up dice. Plus I believe the Chaos Beast could use the Red die in a ranged attack.

-shnar


Well, although it's not a rule, in the components description on page 4 in the rulebook it does list:

12 Custom Dice:
1 Blue Ranged Combat Die
1 Red Melee Combat Die
1 White Magic Combat Die
2 Green Extra Damage Combat Dice
2 Yellow Extra Range Combat Dice
5 Black Power Dice
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
InyokaMadoda wrote:
shnar wrote:
Also, there's nothing in the rule that states the Red die is a "melee" die. Sure, all Melee weapons use the Red die and all Melee monsters use the Red die as well, that's not an actual rule and FFG could very easily create an expansion that starts mixing up dice. Plus I believe the Chaos Beast could use the Red die in a ranged attack.

-shnar


Well, although it's not a rule, in the components description on page 4 in the rulebook it does list:

12 Custom Dice:
1 Blue Ranged Combat Die
1 Red Melee Combat Die
1 White Magic Combat Die
2 Green Extra Damage Combat Dice
2 Yellow Extra Range Combat Dice
5 Black Power Dice


Good catch. However, that is overwritten by the specific symbols on Monster cards.
Golems use a white dice instead of red for a melee attack.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
corbon wrote:
Good catch. However, that is overwritten by the specific symbols on Monster cards.
Golems use a white dice instead of red for a melee attack.

Only in Road to Legend; they use a red die in the regular game.

(RtL changes a lot of things in somewhat minor ways; this is just one of them)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
On this note I have a different question I've been wandering about. If a hero makes an unarmed attack he rolls the red die, but does he add the power dice from his melee trait to this attack?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearpaw wrote:
On this note I have a different question I've been wandering about. If a hero makes an unarmed attack he rolls the red die, but does he add the power dice from his melee trait to this attack?

Yes, he's basically attacking with a dagger his fists that all heroes are assumed to have. It's a melee attack, so he gets to add his melee power dice. But surges do nothing.

Edit: it's not a dagger...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
Bearpaw wrote:
On this note I have a different question I've been wandering about. If a hero makes an unarmed attack he rolls the red die, but does he add the power dice from his melee trait to this attack?

Yes, he's basically attacking with a dagger that all heroes are assumed to have. It's a melee attack, so he gets to add his melee power dice. But surges do nothing.


Quoted from the rulebook:

Unarmed Attacks
If a hero attacks without a weapon, he attacks with his fists. This is a melee attack that grants one red die and has no special abilities.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that One-Fist can also use his hook attack, even when using his... one... fist.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.