Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Beane
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I said bots, so take that for what it's worth. That said, the bots that I play (at onlinebrettspiele.de) seem to be decent. It's also worth noting that each round is a new game there.

1. The worst starting hand is one with a lot of low cards, especially if you have more than one of, say 1-6.

If I get such a hand, I pretty much start play my lowest card on my first turn, taking a bull's head, and maybe even with my second two turns, taking two. You can't count on the idea that someone will eventually play a 1 or 2 for you to put your 3 on, so I find it better to take a couple bullsheads now rather than running the risk of a lot later.

2. Here's a tricky spot...

Row 1: 4,33,34,35
Row 2: 24,32,36,45,48
Row 3: 87,93,95,102
Row 4: 80,86,94,100

You're holding: 23,50,51,65,74.

I think the card to play here is the 65.

50 and 51 are obviously out of the question.

In order for 23 to not get me any bullheads, I would need someone to play a lower card, thus clearing out a row, for me to put my 23 on top of. I don't think I can count on that. Granted, on this board, someone might be forced to, because there's very little room at the end of the last two rows. But generally I think those with cards in the upper thirties/lower forties are going to try to get on the end of row 1, and others will throw high enough that someone takes down a row before them, and then they can lay their card on top of that.

In fact, that's what I am going to try to do. So the question becomes whether or not to lay down the 65 or the 74.

When I was still feeling this game out, I would play the 74 in this situation. Then there's that many more people who are likely to need to go before me, clear out a row, and then I could hopefully play my 74 onto that.

Now, I think 65 is the better play. It is the same strategy as laying the 74, with one key difference...it may allow me to lay down the 74 on my own 65 on the next turn.

Too many times I would play that 74, and although I would successfully avoid any bullheads, I would find myself in the same predicament on the very next turn. By playing a lower - but still fairly high - card here, I am trying to set myself up to not take any bullheads on this turn AND minimize my risk for taking any on the NEXT turn, because I might be able to play my 74 on the 65.

3. Here's another learn-from-my-repeated mistakes moment.

Row 1: 4,21,32,70,95
Row 2: 96
Row 3: 73,76,94,100
Row 4: 17,33,41,44,50

You are holding:

You have accumulated 0 bullheads thus far, and your closest opponent has 6.

Before I started understanding more, I would think, "Oh, easy, I'll just slap that 97 on the 96."

Inevitably, though, someone would play a low card, clear out row 2, and all of the sudden I'm likely on the hook for one of the other awful rows.

While I think it's generally a solid play to play a card just higher than the last one on one of the rows (provided there are not 5 cards in said row) a key time it can backfire is when the row your have your eye on is an attractive one to clear out for just 1 or 2 bullheads, and the other rows only foretell heartache. This is clearly one of those times.

I will instead play the 9. Either I will pick up a bullhead myself, which I can take and still have a comfortable lead, or someone will go even lower and I will put my 9 on top of that, and what was meant to be a sacrifice doesn't even get me a bullhead. Hooray!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tavares
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On 2. I totally get your thinking, and have gone down that road myself. But here's another thought. What if you play the 65, and a couple other people (trying to minimize their chances of taking that awful row), play a much higher card...say, 84. Now you still have no good place for your 74. Granted, something may open up a few turns later, but you can't really count on being able to play your slightly higher card in the same row as your lower one because it's always quite possible that number will be passed by what others play.

And in 3., yeah the 97 is an awful card to have in that situation. You're only two real options are to either slap it down right now, in the hopes of getting rid of it (probably not gonna work), or hold on to it until the very last round. Unless someone is forced to play a card that takes that top row before the last round, it's going to be yours no matter what (since the 96 obviously is not going to be played by anyone). But yeah, I'd probably hold out and hope someone else has to take it first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
In example 3, why not play the 20?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bezman wrote:
In example 3, why not play the 20?

This is an old thread, but thought I'd chip in with an answer to that: Because you'll likely end up with nowhere for your 9 to go next turn, meaning you'll have to pick up a row again (unless an opponent clears one out with a lower-than-9 card - unlikely).

With the 9, you're leaving the possibility of putting your 20 onto it next go; other players are more likely to have cards between 9 and 20 (less the 14 already played) than they are 1-8 (less the 4 already played) to clear out the row. So, statistically, the 9 makes more sense longer-term.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.