5 Posts

The Barbarossa Campaign» Forums » Rules

Subject: Isolted soviet units and soviet counterattacks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Blackytch
France
flag msg tools
When isolated Soviet units advance during a counterattack, do they "fill the kessel" with another line unit ?
If they breakthrough, are they supposed to try to reach back the main frontline, or can I send them to a bleak future in any other direction ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris toph
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
Not an actual picture of me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd guess they'd never be the least engaged and therefore they wouldn't advance.
One of the other counter attackers would, breaking them free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
It is best not to look at counter attacks as to who is attacking but as to what units are being attacked. Remember, Soviet units can attack over and over in a turn as long as there are targets that haven't suffered an attack yet.

The least engaged adjacent unit will advance into the hex (make line adjustments accordingly). As far as to where breakthroughs take place, the choice is yours as to which adjacent unit will suffer the breakthrough attack. Remember, just because it had a breakthrough attack on it (even if it retreats) it still is not counted as having been attacked (unless it had been attacked earlier in the turn) and could get attacked again.

Using the most engaged formula, the Soviets will most likely reform their lines, especially if you don't have a double line of units between the encircled units and their front line. They may, too go off penetrating your front. The cornered animal is very dangerous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blackytch
France
flag msg tools
I understand that.

Concerning the filling of an isolated kessel (either German or Soviet), it seems a bit stupid to me that some spontaneously generated troops may appear. Maybe adverse troops are placed instead to fill the gap.

Alan, your advice ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kennedy
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
blackytch wrote:
Concerning the filling of an isolated kessel (either German or Soviet), it seems a bit stupid to me that some spontaneously generated troops may appear. Maybe adverse troops are placed instead to fill the gap.

It is not stupid, but an abstraction. You are thinking too literally. Think abstraction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.