The Grateful Dead
Pink Floyd
Yes
Phish
Widespread Panic
The Allman Brothers Band
B.B. King
Sting
A college band the name I don't know which played where I went to school during the late '80s (perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned them, but they were damn good)
Itzhak Perlman

There are many others I have not seen that I wish I could:

Frantz Liszt
Niccolo Paganini
Jimi Hendrix
Cream
et al...

So, what are yours?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At some point a few years ago, I realized I hated going to live shows. Standing for hours drinking $8 beers from a plastic cup listening to a band trying to sound as much like their album turned into a massive waste of time and money for me. A few bands transcend this, not many:

Rocket from the Crypt - was indifferent to them until I saw them live. Seeing how much this band loved to work totally changed my opinion of them.

Arcade Fire - great lighting and stage design that serves the music well. Also had a moment of high comedy when the alignment of a camera and a headset microphone made Regina look exactly like Girl Hitler.

Les Savvy Fav - the lead singer is insane. It's awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Off the top of my head my favorite live acts:
Peter Murphy
Broadcast
Guided By Voices
King Crimson
Deerhoof
Gus Gus
Prolapse
My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult
Peter Gabriel
GWAR
Throbbing Gristle
My Bloody Valentine
Dinosaur Jr.
Neutral Milk Hotel
Big Star
Blonde Redhead
El Vez
Arcade Fire
LCD Soundsystem
Pixies
Fugu
Stereolab
Wire
Thee Oh Sees
Depeche Mode
Jane's Addiction
Sisters of Mercy
No Means No
Besnard Lakes
Pigface
Lush
Cheap Trick
Bailter Space
Super Furry Animals
Blur
Grandaddy
Supergrass
Spiritualized
Dead Can Dance
Television
You Am I (I never really liked on album but were always amazing live).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri Balofsky
Israel
Tel Mond
HaSharon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Big Sea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Ben Folds and Bare Naked Ladies. Both put on a fun show. I've seen the Dead once before Jerry Garcia died, and it was more about the whole experience than the music that made a Dead concert, great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I drink your milkshake!
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Ben Folds and Bare Naked Ladies. Both put on a fun show. I've seen the Dead once before Jerry Garcia died, and it was more about the whole experience than the music that made a Dead concert, great.

Ben Folds was a fun show. Unfortunately the venue here that they have smaller stuff in is way too formal. I feel like I should be watching The Nutcracker instead of a concert. Makes the crowd too stiff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fu Manchu always puts on a very fun show.

Zoroaster is a local drone/sludge metal band that has quite a live reputation. Their concerts have been called "an obliteration of the senses" and they're widely known as "Atlanta's loudest band". One time when a friend and I went to see them, his girlfriend came along. She was digging the opening acts, but as soon as Zoroaster came on and started into their first song I noticed that her face had turned ashen and she was standing very still. After the show was over and we were walking out to our car, she said that the combination of sounds and lights immediately overwhelmed her, making her feel sick. She nearly threw up 3 times during their set. Fucking epic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Nikolaidis
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Everyone is from somewhere else.
badge
I Love Fried Chicken.
mbmbmbmbmb
Slayer - The smaller the venue, and the closer you can get the better.
Rush - How could of I forgotten Rush, oh wait...
Kiss - Even as old as they are, Paul Stanley still puts on a amazing show.

Edit: Added everything after Slayer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best live shows I've seen are:

Springsteen (3.5 hours!)
Willie Nelson
Guy Clark
Lyle Lovett (with The Large Band in downtown Austin on New Years Eve 1999 along with 300,000 fellow revelers)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
On Monday mornings, I'm dedicated to the proposition that All Men are created jerks.
United States
Stratford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw Pink Floyd do the original Wall show back in '79. Tenth row floor at Nassau Coliseum on Long Island. Holy crap that was intense.

Back in the 80s, my favorite was Blotto. Goofy shows with great music. I always had a great time at their shows (must have seen them a dozen times!)

I also loved seeing The Ramones. So much fun.

In the 90s I finally got the chance to feed my inner 14 year old and see KISS do the whole stage show with blood and flying and spark-shootin' guitars. It was awesome. Goofy for a whole different reason.

Also in the 90s I would regularly see Sam Butera in the lounges of Las Vegas. Sam was Louis Prima's sax man and arranger, and largely responsible for Prima's Las Vegas sound back in the 50s. He was still going strong doing a half Sam Butera show, half Louis Prima tribute show. The best part is it was free (2 drink minimum). For a short while he was paired up with Keely Smith (who still had her chops) for a straight Louis/Kelly show at the Desert Inn. That, too, was free, but you couldn't get in because of demand. I snagged a reservation one night. Great, great show. It was a close as I was going to get to seeing Prima himself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
the difference between a "crowd" and a "mob" is one push
mbmbmbmbmb
Rush
Motorhead
Anthrax
Da Vinci's Notebook (a capella group of jokesters)
Nickelcreek (folk meets pop meets bluegrass meets awesome)
Jane's Addiction
Marillion
King Crimson
Manowar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

I hate Ben Folds, and I REALLY REALLY hate Bare Naked Ladies, but as much as it hurts me to admit it they both put on amazing shows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dedbob wrote:

I saw these guys before I heard their records, after seeing them at Moe in Seattle, I immediately bought two albums. I ended up selling both of them. They are really spectacular live, but I just don't dig their recorded stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:
dedbob wrote:

I saw these guys before I heard their records, after seeing them at Moe in Seattle, I immediately bought two albums. I ended up selling both of them. They are really spectacular live, but I just don't dig their recorded stuff.

Was this long ago or recently? Their first three albums have a much different feel (more mellow) from their later albums. They've started to get a lot more aggressive sounding in the years after Bob Balch became the lead guitarist (starting with The Action Is Go in 1997).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cosmic Charlie
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

I liked the scene well enough, but I still came for the music with the Dead. They could still produce a jewel of a show well near the end of their career.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
In general I dislike live music, especially the arena stuff. My favorite gigs were the cheap metal shows I could see at the cozy Saratoga Winners (RIP).

Oh, and Zappa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cosmic Charlie
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave wrote:
In general I dislike live music, especially the arena stuff. My favorite gigs were the cheap metal shows I could see at the cozy Saratoga Winners (RIP).

Oh, and Zappa.

I saw Zappa live, once. He was good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dedbob wrote:
sisteray wrote:
dedbob wrote:

Was this long ago or recently? Their first three albums have a much different feel (more mellow) from their later albums. They've started to get a lot more aggressive sounding in the years after Bob Balch became the lead guitarist (starting with The Action Is Go in 1997).

It was before that (No One Rides for Free & Daredevil). I kept thinking that I'd rather just be listening to Kyuss (where I didn't feel that way about Queens of the Stone Age).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Jones has been the best live act I've seen hands down. The man knows how to entertain.

In sharp contrast, the worst show I ever saw was Bob Dylan, which was hugely disappointing as I love his body of work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently touring and / or local acts that I have seen more than once:

Residents
Boredoms
Sun Ra Arkestra
Peter Brotzmann Tentet
Sunburned Hand of the Man
Lightning Bolt
White Mice
Jow Jow
Cave Bears
Satan's Answering Machine (yeah, it is my band, so what? It is fun.)
MVEE
Bunwinkies
Visitations
Six Organs of Admittance
No Neck Blues Band
Neptune
Phantom Buffalo (formerly Ponys, from Portland ME)
Prisma (she's got the best voice ever)
Larkin Grimm
Fat Worm of Error
Barn Owl
Seth Tobocoman + Andy Laties + Eric Blitz
Akron Family
Magic Markers
Cory McAbee / Billy Nayer Show / American Astronaut
The Books (I like their albums, but they really are a live experience)
The Bennies (formerly the Bunnies)
any lineup with Cris Corsano
any lineup with Paul Flaherty
any lineup with Han Bennink
any lineup with Joe McPhee
any lineup with Peter Brotzmann
any lineup with Alan Silva
any lineup with Marshall Allen

there's more...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's funny you mention Tom Jones. Way back when, some of us girls took our mothers to see Liza Minnelli, thinking it would be a sacrifice for us to sit through her show. Not at all, she is a fabulous entertainer.

Rock acts I've seen live and really liked:
-Peter Frampton - in a small venue on a Saturday afternoon--sat on the grass in a baseball field....absolutely GREAT!
-The Beach Boys (part of a free concert/pep rally for a local university)
-The Commodores (also part of a free concert/pep rally for a local university)
-Hall & Oates (a freebie I won from a radio station)
-Huey Lewis
-Fleetwood Mac
-Donna Summer - not my idea........but the show was entertaining
-U2
-Andy Gibb - in a small venue that was general admission $10.00 on a holiday weekend. We got really good seats and he put on a fabulous show. (there were a few other acts, but his was the absolute best!)

Live acts that failed to impress:
-Foreigner - saw them twice actually. Love their music, but they're just not entertaining performers.......boring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
the difference between a "crowd" and a "mob" is one push
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, yeah. Forgot:

Earth, Wind & Fire
Santana
Stevie Wonder
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
On Monday mornings, I'm dedicated to the proposition that All Men are created jerks.
United States
Stratford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
It's funny you mention Tom Jones. Way back when, some of us girls took our mothers to see Liza Minnelli, thinking it would be a sacrifice for us to sit through her show. Not at all, she is a fabulous entertainer.

One sure sign of growing up is realizing that our parents' taste in music wasn't as square as we thought.

(I'm not a Liza fan, though.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CameronL wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:

One sure sign of growing up is realizing that our parents' taste in music wasn't as square as we thought.

(I'm not a Liza fan, though.)

Neither am I nor my friends, but we were blown away by her entertainment prowess!!! It's not like I went out and bought all her records or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stachiw
United States
Bayonne
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nine Inch Nails @ MSG during Downward Spiral tour was probably my favorite show.

Rancid had high energy
The Offspring really good
Evanescence was okay vocally but bland otherwise
Morbid Angel was pretty nutty
Faith and the Muse puts on an amazing show
El Nino strong show
Chimera was heavy
Godsmack fun to watch
Deftones solid show

Cinematic Titanic (comedy of 1st gen MST3k) really great to see live

I took my wife to see Les Miserables and Wicked on Broadway... both were Riveting! Well-timed! ...giving the performance of a Lifetime! (okay I was facetious with that one but I did enjoy them).

The ones that got away:
Faith No More 2010... had to sell my tix due to poor timing
Arcade Fire... wife got sick morning of the show. missed it.
The Killers... friend and on passed on a show. They played in a small club in the Village (NY) after the release of their EP. Every show has been large venue since.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.