Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott G

Mentor
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In an interview concerning Super 8, JJ Abrams mentions this:

".. but we’ve got no famous super-hero, we’ve got no pre-existing franchise or sequel, it’s not starring anyone you’ve heard of before. There’s no book, there’s no toy, there’s no comic book. There’s nothing. I don’t have anything; I don’t even have a board game, that’s how bad it is."

What are you saying JJ? You saying board games are some lowest rung toy? Bottom of the barrel? Some kind of punch line?

Article Link:
http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2011/02/06/super-8-j-j-abrams...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Naw... He's obviously a big nerd. I think he's just proud of the fact that he's making movies from his own creative ideas where everything else coming out these days is based on someone's previous work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Cannon
United States
ATLANTA
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would interpret it as that board games are the easiest license to get as the American licensed board game industry can crank out a crappy title pretty quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume this is a reference to the fact that they're (supposedly) making some movies based on old Hasbro board games - like Monopoly. Even as a board game fan, I have to agree that's pretty much scraping the bottom of the barrel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone really want to see a movie based on Settlers of Catan, or Agricola?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
Naw... He's obviously a big nerd. I think he's just proud of the fact that he's making movies from his own creative ideas ....

Like Star Trek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
kingbobb wrote:
Does anyone really want to see a movie based on Settlers of Catan, or Agricola? :)

A simple reed collector and his market woman wife, trying to make ends meet in 17th century France, when their life is turned upside down by the appearance of...

The Lover

She is swept off her feet, they enjoy the fruits of their labor and she is finally able to grow the family, until her husband discovers the truth...

Will he leave her? Can he learn to trust her again? Will they be build that stone oven they have always dreamed of? Who will tend to the fields?

See it all played out in the new epic drama from Merchant Ivory Productions, based on the work by Uwe Rosenberg,

Agricola

Coming soon to a theater near you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I took it as a dig at the RiDiCuLoUs Battleship movie, and the whole quote as a dig at the lack of creativity in "toy movies" in general.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Great Barford, Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
This site needs a forum where we can put the faux offended so we can ignore them.
mbmbmbmbmb

Yeah, He's dissing us.

Lets get him!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tel999 wrote:

Yeah, He's dissing us.

Lets get him!!

Good, I've wanted to punch him in his stupid face for a long time now. Finally I'll have enraged geek back-up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott G

Mentor
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
I assume this is a reference to the fact that they're (supposedly) making some movies based on old Hasbro board games - like Monopoly. Even as a board game fan, I have to agree that's pretty much scraping the bottom of the barrel

I didn't even connect this to the Hasbro movie games coming out... and probably a good assumption (because those movies would be terrible).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cookingham
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scottieGGGG wrote:
What are you saying JJ? You saying board games are some lowest rung toy?

Well, c'mon now, it doesn't appear it takes much to get a Monopoly version made of any franchise...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N_O_ Y_B
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
stagger lee wrote:
Naw... He's obviously a big nerd. I think he's just proud of the fact that he's making movies from his own creative ideas where everything else coming out these days is based on someone's previous work.

....except that he doesn't write his movies (not that I necessarily consider it a mark of a bad filmmaker)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James To My Friends
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He just doesn't like pasted on themes..... no wait...... I've got that wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Havighorst
Germany
Haltern am See
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's really annoying if people pretend that their ideas come from a vacuum the slumber in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asili Eiliaz
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's just a snipe at Universal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WhiteRider27 wrote:
stagger lee wrote:

....except that he doesn't write his movies (not that I necessarily consider it a mark of a bad filmmaker)

Well he's the writer for this one (at least).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Great Barford, Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
This site needs a forum where we can put the faux offended so we can ignore them.
mbmbmbmbmb
HamsterOfFury wrote:
tel999 wrote:

Yeah, He's dissing us.

Lets get him!!

Good, I've wanted to punch him in his stupid face for a long time now. Finally I'll have enraged geek back-up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
He wasn't dissing board games, but that doesn't mean I like his movies or TV shows, both of which are vastly overrated, especially by geeks who should know better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
HamsterOfFury wrote:
tel999 wrote:

Yeah, He's dissing us.

Lets get him!!

Greg Grunberg's going to punch YOUR face devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
scottieGGGG wrote:
What are you saying JJ? You saying board games are some lowest rung toy? Bottom of the barrel? Some kind of punch line?

Article Link:
http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2011/02/06/super-8-j-j-abrams...

I think it almost hearkens back to the heady days of yore when a movie or TV show would come out and then, without a doubt, the boardgame was two steps behind. Love the 80's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Umberto Colapicchioni
Switzerland
Genestrerio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There ARE movies based on boardgames, for example:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050825/

Oh, wait...maybe not

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Wheeler
United States
California
flag msg tools
tel999 wrote:
HamsterOfFury wrote:
tel999 wrote:

Yeah, He's dissing us.

Lets get him!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
kingbobb wrote:

A simple reed collector and his market woman wife, trying to make ends meet in 17th century France, when their life is turned upside down by the appearance of...

The Lover

She is swept off her feet, they enjoy the fruits of their labor and she is finally able to grow the family, until her husband discovers the truth...

Will he leave her? Can he learn to trust her again? Will they be build that stone oven they have always dreamed of? Who will tend to the fields?

See it all played out in the new epic drama from Merchant Ivory Productions, based on the work by Uwe Rosenberg,

Agricola

Uwe Boll would like to have a word with you about this. He wants to slightly alter some of the backstory though, the 17th century isn't really cool enough. He was thinking SciFi. But the title and license are great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
frumpish wrote:
kingbobb wrote:

The Lover

Agricola

This calls out for a Geeklist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.