Popular Tags: [View All]
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a long time gamer, I've known of Space Hulk for, well, a long time. Mostly, it's been one of those old GW games that I passed on back when I had a lot more time and money to spend on games, and regretted it now. When the 3rd edition reprint was announced, I starting thinking about whether I'd want one. I had some gift money and LGS credit saved up, it wasn't going to put a dent in our budget. And after reading some reviews, I took the plunge.

Well, that was a long while ago. I recently assembled the figures, resisting the urge to cannibalize my copy to sell them on eBay. And this past weekend, with my 5 year old son looking for a game to play early in the morning while mom and his younger sisters were still asleep, I finally agreed to give Space Hulk a try. And after getting 2 games in (Suicide Mission for both), I'm really glad I picked this up when I did.

My son's got a good enough grasp of simple strategy...and Mission I is direct enough that there's not a lot of variation to it...that he managed to win both times. I played the Marines in the first game, and while I was getting good results with Overwatch keeping the Stealers away, I didn't understand that clearing a Jam on the Stealer turn returned you to Overwatch. So I didn't keep any Command Points in reserve, and when my guns jammed...as they always will...I started losing marines. Most were my read guard, not a huge deal. I advanced the sergeant and flamer close to the control room, barely keeping the Stealers at bay. I managed to get the flamer to the control room, open the door...but only had 1 CP that turn, not enough to fire. I had the Sergeant set up behind him on Overwatch, hoping he'd slow the Stealers enough to give me one more turn. Of course his gun jams...on the first shot...he misses, and then he goes down under the first close combat roll. With nothing standing between the Stealer and my marine's back, it was an easy matter for him to take him down, and secure the win.

Later, during naptime before the Superbowl, we set up again. This time I was the Genestealers. I proceeded to watch as my son rolled amazingly well, often not even needing Sustained Fire to land hits. Eventually I managed to close with his Sergeant, and hoped I'd tear him down the same way he'd gotten mine...only to watch as that Power Sword sliced through alien flesh like butter. Then the Sergeant calmly stepped away to allow the Flamer to fry 2 of the 3 Stealers I had left in range. With one left, my only hope was to try and have it run through the flaming corridor...it took one step and dropped. There was one Space Marine Casualty, though...in order to win without taking 2 more turns, the Sergeant had to open the control room door and advance into the room...succumbing to the power of the flamer, but sacrificing himself for the good of the Empire.

So, Space Hulk turns out to be...for me, anyway...well worth the price, although the 5 year-old impulse to play with the figures a little rough left my heart racing a couple times. But overall, he did very well with them, and is looking forward to Mission II. and since the map for Mission I barely fit on our card table, it means I'll be clearing off our entire table now, and maybe finally using our extender/leaf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son, now 12, has had lots of fun with Space Hulk over the years (my copy of 1st Ed and now his own copy of 3rd Ed). It's a great game, simple enough to not bog down but very addictive. Good show getting your boy hooked early

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kingbobb wrote:
So, Space Hulk turns out to be...for me, anyway...well worth the price, although the 5 year-old impulse to play with the figures a little rough left my heart racing a couple times.

I would've been more worried about the figures playing rough with your kid - those genestealer claws are sharp! zombie

Good gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt A
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I agree those claws have made me bleed a time or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.