Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

For Sale» Forums » General

Subject: What about taking out cards for 5-6 player? What about a 7th player? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard a lot of comments from others about how this game is more fun if its less predictable, meaning that there are less cards "in play". Unfortunately, this would mean that people get less properties too, but at least you'd have more money on average to spend on each one.

What about this?

3 players - Use 27 properties/checks, removing 3 of each at random. Each player gets 9 properties.

4 players - Use 28 properties/checks, removing 2 of each at random. Each player gets 7 properties.

5 players - Use 25 properties/checks, removing 5 of each at random. Each player gets 5 properties.

6 players - Use 24 properties/checks, removing 6 of each at random. Each player gets 4 properties.

7 players - Use 28 properties/checks, removing 2 of each at random (may need to deal out a little less starting money also). Each player gets 4 properties.

Will this make the game more interesting, or less so (due to having fewer properties per player)? I think it improves the game when you don't know for certain if the 30 property and 15 checks are out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ebridge wrote:
I've heard a lot of comments from others about how this game is more fun if its less predictable, meaning that there are less cards "in play". Unfortunately, this would mean that people get less properties too, but at least you'd have more money on average to spend on each one.

What about this?

3 players - Use 27 properties/checks, removing 3 of each at random. Each player gets 9 properties.

4 players - Use 28 properties/checks, removing 2 of each at random. Each player gets 7 properties.

5 players - Use 25 properties/checks, removing 5 of each at random. Each player gets 5 properties.

6 players - Use 24 properties/checks, removing 6 of each at random. Each player gets 4 propeties.

7 players - Use 28 properties/checks, removing 2 of each at random (may need to deal out a little less starting money also). Each player gets 4 properties.

With this make the game more interesting, or less so (due to having fewer properties per player). I think it improves the game when you don't know for certain if the 30 property and 15 checks are out there.

I disagree, and this is one reason why I strongly prefer For Sale with 5 or 6 players - you DO know exactly what is going to come out and can plan for it. I've played with 3 and 4, and it's still a good game, but there is already enough randomness to it that adding randomly-discarded cards tips it past the point where I prefer it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is rather resilient. You can play with any number of houses, and any amount of cash, and the game works. But I suggest that at the end of the first round, you display the unsold houses. Otherwise the person who counted all the cards has a big advantage over the players who didn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ebridge wrote:

What about this?

6 players - Use 24 properties/checks, removing 6 of each at random. Each player gets 4 properties.

With this make the game more interesting, or less so (due to having fewer properties per player). I think it improves the game when you don't know for certain if the 30 property and 15 checks are out there.
I kind of like doing this too and can see myself trying out this variant. With 5p and 6p games, it seems "lame" and "artificial" how in the first phase, people overvalue the 28 through 30. Then in the 2nd phase, people hold out their high cards for when the $15K checks come out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.