Popular Tags: SPACE [+] [View All]
Gary Bacchus
United States
Altamonte Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, not really. There's been some traffic over on the Yahoo group (http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/HighFrontier/) to make a poster sized unmounted megamap expansion which includes everything out to Pluto (plus the near Pluto objects).

Amazingly, in spite of his other awesome upcoming projects, Phil Eklund appears to be hearing these pleas and has offered to do it if there is enough *real* interest.

Express your interest here if you're interested in that kind of thing.

EDIT - From the Yahoo Group post (direct link):

Quote:
Fat Messiah tells me that I can order a 23" x 35" 4-color poster with a minimum order of 15 items.

Are there at least 15 of you that would be willing to order a super expanded map for $20 plus shipping?
If so, reply to this e-mail. I would extend as far as 23" x 35" space will allow me, and make a couple of minor corrections that I had wish I had done (mainly change a few extra burns into triangle burns, and a couple of extra photos from newly explored places). Mind you, I am really busy with my new project (now called Terragenesis), but will work on this super duper expansion map if there is enough demand.

As I recall, the paths are Neptune, Uranus, Pluto, Kuiper etc. are very low delta-v, but very long Hohmann flight times. So I would show a zig-zag path with no red dots. This way, if you wanted to get there in reasonable times, you would need two burns per Hohmann turn.

NOTE: I'm neither an employee nor am I otherwise affiliated with SMG. I just want to see this get off the ground and know that there are folks that hit the BGG but not the Yahoo Group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
So interested!

[edit] Robonaughts to the moon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bacchus
United States
Altamonte Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anarchy wrote:
I'm interested.

Check the edits in the OP. I haven't linked to this post over at the Yahoo Group, so there may or may not be any registration of interest over here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eric hill
United States
spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
this will be a must buy when it comes out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
jakal323 wrote:
anarchy wrote:
I'm interested.

Check the edits in the OP. I haven't linked to this post over at the Yahoo Group, so there may or may not be any registration of interest over here.

There certainly is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are already 40 replies there...

I'm thinking about getting one myself - and I don't own the game! hate to get one later and be missing the superior map...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Bass
United States
San Carlos
California
flag msg tools
badge
What's this? Why, it's the Hiller Flying Platform! It flew in 1955.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested. It sounds like Phil would have a bit of work to do calculating the new energy profiles, transfer orbits, etc. But it sounds great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
German Mike
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
I'm thinking about getting one myself - and I don't own the game!

What the heck! I haven't even played the game yet and I already want this map!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Caminha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
And so it begins...
mb
Count me in! I sent a private message to Mr Eklund. I'd love to play with an extra expanded map .

In an unrelated note, some wargamers which share gaming tables in a monthly gathering here in Rio were very interested in learning about HF. I hope I can draw more fans to this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Total now past 60... cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Eklund
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I must have it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would buy this immediately! I signed up for one.

If you have any interest make sure you sign up and let Phil know!

jakal323 wrote:
Actually, not really. There's been some traffic over on the Yahoo group (http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/HighFrontier/) to make a poster sized unmounted megamap expansion which includes everything out to Pluto (plus the near Pluto objects).

Amazingly, in spite of his other awesome upcoming projects, Phil Eklund appears to be hearing these pleas and has offered to do it if there is enough *real* interest.

Express your interest here if you're interested in that kind of thing.

EDIT - From the Yahoo Group post (direct link):

Quote:
Fat Messiah tells me that I can order a 23" x 35" 4-color poster with a minimum order of 15 items.

Are there at least 15 of you that would be willing to order a super expanded map for $20 plus shipping?
If so, reply to this e-mail. I would extend as far as 23" x 35" space will allow me, and make a couple of minor corrections that I had wish I had done (mainly change a few extra burns into triangle burns, and a couple of extra photos from newly explored places). Mind you, I am really busy with my new project (now called Terragenesis), but will work on this super duper expansion map if there is enough demand.

As I recall, the paths are Neptune, Uranus, Pluto, Kuiper etc. are very low delta-v, but very long Hohmann flight times. So I would show a zig-zag path with no red dots. This way, if you wanted to get there in reasonable times, you would need two burns per Hohmann turn.

NOTE: I'm neither an employee nor am I otherwise affiliated with SMG. I just want to see this get off the ground and know that there are folks that hit the BGG but not the Yahoo Group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Matthew_Eklund wrote:
I must have it.

Well, I'm betting your influence will go a long way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The response has been so enthusiastic, that I have hired a person to look into the shipping and web fronting of High Frontier map-posters. And will start work on the combined file tomorrow.

One problem that I have is that Hohmann transfers, the baseline for the inner solar system, are completely impractical for travel between two planets in the outer solar system. Orbital speeds are far too slow, the distances are way too vast. Its faster and less delta-v to get from Mars to Neptune than Uranus to Neptune, for instance.

A second problem I have is that the orbital speed of trans-Neptunian objects is so slow, and the second delta-v is therefore very small, that the total delta-v on a Hohmann from Earth to Pluto is less than from Earth to Saturn. In other words, the first delta-v (to get all the way out to Pluto) is naturally higher than getting to Saturn, but this is more than offset by the fact that Pluto is traveling so slow that the second delta-v is smaller. Again, this shows that Hohmanns are not practical way out there.

So in the outer regions I really have to switch from Hohmanns to Highly Elliptical orbits that not only are much faster transits, but are likely to have significant fuel savings over Hohmanns due to the Oberth effect. If anyone knows if these calculations have been done and tabulated (for eccentric orbit transit times versus delta-v between outer planets), I would be grateful. These sorts of missions are not in the LPL database.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McKendrick
United Kingdom
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Phil

Where do I pre-order?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep us informed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan McCullough
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, let me know where/when/how!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiggo Morrison
United Kingdom
Bridgnorth
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Me too please!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jérôme
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would love to have that poster.
I'll put it in a frame and hang it on the wall.

Best board ever!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Syrovatka
Czech Republic
Beroun
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes! I want this one as well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Pedro Cruz
Portugal
Coimbra
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Must have this .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Hoppe
Denmark
Frederiksberg
flag msg tools
What are you, like 80?
badge
It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.
mbmbmbmbmb
zombie robot ... MUST HAVE ... robot zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
A must have for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
For $20 +sh? I would be interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.