Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jennifer Casperson
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife an I are taking a long trip on a bus. I'm looking for some good games to play in a small space. Here or some criteria:

1. The longer the better.
2. Doesn't require a lot of surface space.
3. I like themes in my game, but an abstract game like Ingenious is cool too.
4. I'm not interested in the travel version of larger games unless they are (a) better than the normal, or (b) stand notably apart from their normal versions.
5. 2p is the priority, but up to 5 is OK.

Some games that I've been looking at are:

1. Citadels
2. Incan Gold
3. Space Hulk: Death Angel
4. Nuns on the Run

I've checked out some geeklists on the subject as well, but I thought a thread like this couldn't hurt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Racca12 wrote:
My wife an I are taking a long trip on a bus.

Two player?

I ask, because:
Quote:
2. Incan Gold
4. Nuns on the Run

There are a couple proposed 2p variants for Incan Gold, but they don't look that promising to me. Nuns on the Run is "not recommended" for 2p by 84% of BGGers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I saw pale kings and princes too, Pale warriors, death-pale were they all; They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci Hath thee in thrall!’
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know if Space Hulk is a good call re space if this is any indication of the set up:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Casperson
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two player is preferable, although suggestions of games beyond that are ok since our destination will broaden our player base to about 5.

Yeah, that is a lot in regards to Space Hulk. A review I saw of showed it in a more manageable state. I thought the central column was made up of Marines, so could you play it with less marines?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jambo
Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age (and print out free expansion scoresheets)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I saw pale kings and princes too, Pale warriors, death-pale were they all; They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci Hath thee in thrall!’
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played it yet (it's on my short list) but maybe something like Cold War: CIA vs KGB; seems like a more manageable play area size

Also, we have Court of the Medici (just got it, haven't played yet) which might also work for you:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susie_Cat
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Racca12 wrote:
My wife an I are taking a long trip on a bus. I'm looking for some good games to play in a small space. Here or some criteria:

1. The longer the better.
2. Doesn't require a lot of surface space.
3. I like themes in my game, but an abstract game like Ingenious is cool too.
4. I'm not interested in the travel version of larger games unless they are (a) better than the normal, or (b) stand notably apart from their normal versions.
5. 2p is the priority, but up to 5 is OK.

Hive sounds like the obvious one to me, though San Juan, Lost Cities, Jambo all could do as well...

Susie_Cat.

EDIT: Second the suggestion of Court of the Medici above...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure how much space you'll have on a bus...I took a long Greyhound trip (round trip from Macon, GA to Flagstaff, AZ) and there wasn't a whole lot of room at all. The one game we were able to play was Ace of Aces: Wingleader and that helped pass the time...but it's OOP. However, in case you have more room than we did, you might want to consider some of these:

Fairy Tale
Haggis
Court of the Medici
Onirim
Parade
Coppertwaddle
Jaipur

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Coloretto
Sobek
Pickomino

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I found this list, which *should* be perfect:
Help Me Find the Most Compact Gameplay

Unfortunately, many of the entries seem to focus on box size instead of gameplay size, but maybe there will be something in there that helps you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.