Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Wild Blue Yonder» Forums » General

Subject: What are the differences between Wild Blue Yonder and Wings of War? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Laws
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm tempted by Wings of War as this is taking an age to creep over the 500 mark.

Can anyone explain to me the differences?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wings of War is essentially a mini's game and WBY is a card game. They really are quite different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Laws
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps you could expound on that slightly?

Say mechanics?

I hear they have different box art too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Izack Chee
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TGov wrote:
Wings of War is essentially a mini's game and WBY is a card game. They really are quite different.

what he said.
wow is like warhammer 40k with less minis and cards instead of rulers

dif is like magic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom j
msg tools
My suggestion is to look at the other down in flames games. While it is true that it is a card game, there is more to it than that. Each plane gets an agility rating which determines how many action cards you can draw. The agility cards represent typical aircraft maneuvers like barrel rolls, scissors, etc. In a dog fight the attacker lays down an action card with the intent of getting the defender into a position where it can attack. The defender then lays done a counter card until they run out of counter cards or play a special card that allows them to break off.

The combat system is nice and clean. What makes the game fun are the scenarios which take a good combat system and turn it into a longer game that requires some higher level planning. For example the pacific campaign had a great carrier battle system that requires you to manage your fighters, determine cap and make decisions about how big a strike you are going to launch, They are well thought out and fun to play. The advantage of being a card game is that you can model the many variants of the same plane that evolved during the war.

To me it boils down to what kind of games you like to play. If you want a fast colorful game I would buy Wings of war . (Personal observation and preference: I prefer not to have to buy minis. I like games that are self contained and that do not require a large investment in metal/plastic.) . If you want a good combat system paired with longer term campaigns I would go with the DiF series. Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albe Pavo
msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How much times will it takes a dogfight to be played?
Playing time is 180 min: but for what? A single dogfight can take that much?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill H
United States
Absecon
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"Shijuro" in Awatum (Serpent's Tongue)
badge
"A master in the art of living draws no sharp distinction between his work and his play, his labour and his leisure, his mind and his body, his education and his recreation." LP Jacks
mbmbmbmbmb
That must be for the campaigns. A single dogfight will usually take about 10 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Janiec
United States
(Teller County)
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
10 minutes is not unreasonable for a simple dogfight between two Elements, each consisting of a Leader and a Wingman. You can have larger dogfights, with the practical limit being four Elements on each side. A dogfight that large could last up to an hour, if you have multiple players on each side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.