Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shane Ryan
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Attack Of The Beasts! is a game based in the not to distant future where mutated beast's & insects have all but destroyed the world & it's up to the humans left to try & stop them destroying the little that is left, while the mutated beast's go out to get complete control of the world, will also be different scenarios with varying objectives,
am hoping to be able to fit on the limited number of sheets, but this will properly mean expansions or a delux version where you built your own deck to a points limit.

suggestions, criticism & the like is all encouraged & welcome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: WIP Attack of the mutants!
Might want to rename that:Attack of the Mutants!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Ryan
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: WIP Attack Of The Beast's!
The Aim,
For the humans: to destroy all beasts & save the world from destruction.
For the beasts: to destroy all foes(yes sometimes even beasts can be a foe!)

The setting: somewhere in the not to distant future.

Mechanics: thinking something along the lines of this: you have a hand of say 5 cards, there are 2 decks, (although I may make it one deck & split cards), these cards can be devided into different types of cards, Units: Men or beasts depending on which team you are playing as these units would then be placed on the table(represented by counters) , Power Ups: upgrades, weapons things that help your units & make them stronger, Special Affects: more than just upgrades these do & affect immediately when played,

Movement would be done via a distance written on the unit card, which would be in a certain amount of inches which would then be moved on the tabletop using either a measuring stick or measuring tape, if you have one of them.

How to destroy opponents: some units have an ability to fire from distance, some would only be close combat, would have a range if from distance, would 1st have to roll a d6 above a certain number to hit & then a certain number to inflict a wound(most units would only have 1 wound) if close both units would roll a die add a modifier & then who ever had the higher amount would make a roll to wound.

Gameplay: Draw a card from your deck, then have the option to place cards(either one or two), then move a maximum or 3 units(to move out of contact with an opponent will be more difficult), ranged combat with a maximum of 3 units(may be different from the one’s whom move)& then close combat with all whom are in base to base contact.
the 3 may be replaced from a dice roll not sure on that 1 yet.(both players would complete each stage before the next stage is done, with starting player changing each turn/round).

Each different scenario would have different objectives, I’m not sure if I’ll be able to scale this all down into 5 pages of cards though(maybe expansions will become available & a point system to create your own deck)…

My other idea would be, players only control humans & come across the other creatures & must try to survive, would then be easier to fit to 5 sheets(could proberly change from needing an additional sheet then & go to 6 sheets), who knows might do both if I have time!

let me know what you's all think!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
certainly different than many of the games being posted. combines an aspect of miniatures (warhammer) into the mix. interested in your visuals when they are ready for a peek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't sound like my kind of game, but I have to assume it would appeal to some people.

But please, for the love of Mike, remove that apostrophe from Beast's. They were mutants, and now they are beasts. No need for the apostrophe. Thank you, and I'm sorry that this post isn't more helpful.

Edit: Looks like you are already in the process of doing so. Yay!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Ryan
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yip dislike warhammer theme so I going with this idea(visuals may be a while away, i was unaware dealine was so soon!), & @ Kevin yip I not the best with grammar, corrected now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shane --

I haven't seen your prototype yet, but here's a few design suggestions:

-- I think you can get more done if you focused on players controlling humans and fighting against the beasts.

-- It may be too complex if you've got too many different "units". The focus for the contest is on the cards, and it almost sounds like you've got a miniatures game.

-- One way to reduce the "units" complexity is to just use a generic human; and then the cards give you the upgrades / weapons / etc.

You may want to take a look at Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Ryan
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:
Shane --

I haven't seen your prototype yet, but here's a few design suggestions:

-- I think you can get more done if you focused on players controlling humans and fighting against the beasts.

-- It may be too complex if you've got too many different "units". The focus for the contest is on the cards, and it almost sounds like you've got a miniatures game.

-- One way to reduce the "units" complexity is to just use a generic human; and then the cards give you the upgrades / weapons / etc.

You may want to take a look at Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game

Yes, you could be correct on all 3 points, might more go towards my 2nd idea then, & as for my prototype..there isnt one yet, thats was still needed to be started

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Ryan
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Here Is The 2nd Idea Fleshed out a bit more where players only control humans, tell me what you think,
The cards will be something like this(beast card as example) with artwork though

In comparison a standard character, with no upgrades would have
Attack 0 Defense 0 Wounds 3 Speed 4”(?)Awarness:3 Agility:3(there will be a card for characters) , all attacks & defense’s would add a d6 roll
Then Atk would be compared VS def.
Speed Would Equal the distance that can be moved in one action.

Each Player Would Get 3 Actions, The 1st player would take his 1st action, then the 2nd player would take his 1st etc, after all players have taken their 1st action, then the beasts will get an action

Action Options Would Be, Move, Attack, retreat, Fortify, Search, Shop, Enter Building

Each of these actions could be done multiple times,
Move: You could move up to your movement through the rooms(which would just be borders) through OPEN doors
Attack: Attacks would Have a range & be calculated in this way, 1st determine whether there is a hit, then compare the atk & def on a Ref Sheet, if atk is = to or higher then what the chart states this will cause a Wound(may just have Atk VS def +d6 without chart, as it may be more simple that way).
Retreat, Would be trying to break off H2H combat with a beast, would use agility VS attack +d6 if you get higher get away unharmed other would roll on Failed Retreat & apply modifier.
Fortify: Would Add +1 To the def roll or to hit roll if using ranged attack
Search: Would allow you to roll VS awarness( = or lower after mods) if lower then you find an item or whatever you where looking for.
Shop: buy something with money you may have acquired from a store you are in
Enter Building: Open a door, or enter a shop etc(allows for closing the shop door(may take 1 additional shop action depending on the store)
That’s all the actions I can think of at the moment(ideas are welcome)!

The Beasts would have random d6(?) beasts activated which will have a set of predetermined rules defined by their type(aka the spider is NON RETREATING & AGGRESSIVE)

Give me your thoughts,ideas,comments,criticism,ways for improvement etc (I’ve still got to calculate how you can win… maybe the cash you can collect?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
starting to flesh out well.

i would throw a silly idea out of you win by how many trophy teeth from these creatures you collect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Ryan
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
as silly as it is, it will go into my file of suggestions as it may work...(Im assuming the 2nd idea stands out better than the 1st one?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrummerOfJah wrote:
as silly as it is, it will go into my file of suggestions as it may work...(Im assuming the 2nd idea stands out better than the 1st one?)

I can definitely relate better to a game where I play a human ... even if I'm out there fighting zombies, or mutated beasts

I also like Todd's "collect trophies" idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Ryan
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:

I can definitely relate better to a game where I play a human ... even if I'm out there fighting mutated beasts

good point..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Ryan
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
OKay if anyone has any idea's please fire them at me, i've been trying to think of something but i seem to have designers block...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Woodard
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading over what you have, it sounds kind of complex keeping track of the different stats such as awareness and the like.

How do the stats of creatures and humans interact? What's the point of Awareness, for example?

Every critter (beasts and humans alike) have a speed attribute. What's the highest? What's the lowest? Is speed still being used for movement on a map?

The way I'm seeing this, and it might be a silly idea, is that you set up a turn track and every "speed"th turn creatures act. So, for instance, say you have a track with 10 spaces. The players have speed 4. This means that they start at turn 1, then 5. Monsters, with different speeds, would move during different phases. So a speed 6 might move on 2 and 8 while a faster monster with speed 3 would move on 2, 5, and 8.

You could put everything into this 10-space track including when you draw cards and other things.

just an idea...

Anyway, I see a game with, say 6 player or hero cards, 2.5x that in booster cards, and then the rest are beast cards. That would be 6 + 15 = 21 cards for the heroes vs 33 for the monsters or you could split it evenly with 6 hero cards, 18 booster cards (weapons, ammo, armor, etc) and 30 monster cards.

I'm not super-sure what you're trying to accomplish other than humans and beasts kill each other. or a cooperative vs the deck or even some players play beast masters vs human heroes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my standard advice for designing games: Build it right now and play it.

Get some blank cards, poker chips, dice, and anything else you think you might need. Put them in front of you.

Thinking about the game won't do you any good. You might be forgetting something important -- like how comfortably a certain number of cards fits in a player's hand, or how much room they have on the table in front of them. There are some things that you can only really appreciate by having the parts of the game right there in front of you, taking up space and being real.

Put work into the components right away. Look at them, and then make them do something. Whatever it is you want them to do, write that on the cards. You're halfway there.

I believe anyone should be able to put together a working prototype of nearly any game within 24 hours of dreaming it up. It might not be a great game, but you should be able to play some version of it. You should be able to make it through the first couple of rounds of play, anyway.

Remember that it's just paper and ink. You can throw it all away and start over if it doesn't work. Expect to throw it away and start over a couple of times. What you're doing is teaching yourself the very specific skill of making This Particular Game. To do that, you need practice. You have to do this over and over, getting better each time.

But you have to start somewhere. Where's your prototype deck? I expect to see one by this time tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Ryan
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
DagobahDave wrote:
This is my standard advice for designing games: Build it right now and play it.

Get some blank cards, poker chips, dice, and anything else you think you might need. Put them in front of you.

Thinking about the game won't do you any good. You might be forgetting something important -- like how comfortably a certain number of cards fits in a player's hand, or how much room they have on the table in front of them. There are some things that you can only really appreciate by having the parts of the game right there in front of you, taking up space and being real.

Put work into the components right away. Look at them, and then make them do something. Whatever it is you want them to do, write that on the cards. You're halfway there.

I believe anyone should be able to put together a working prototype of nearly any game within 24 hours of dreaming it up. It might not be a great game, but you should be able to play some version of it. You should be able to make it through the first couple of rounds of play, anyway.

Remember that it's just paper and ink. You can throw it all away and start over if it doesn't work. Expect to throw it away and start over a couple of times. What you're doing is teaching yourself the very specific skill of making This Particular Game. To do that, you need practice. You have to do this over and over, getting better each time.

But you have to start somewhere. Where's your prototype deck? I expect to see one by this time tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice David, never thought(it would appear thought is the problem) of doing that, less thinking more doing, will try to have a prottpye this time tommorow.. hopefully, haha im sure your idea should work, make as i go haha soon I'll be a GM

Edit* my prototype deck so far is just the one card

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Ryan
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ExcalibursZone wrote:

I'm not super-sure what you're trying to accomplish .

neither am i is the problem, i thought i was...THANKS FOR THE IDEAS all are very much appreciated

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really expect a prototype in 24 hours, but I can assure you that it's possible to whip up a game that quickly. Just be resourceful, and make use of the tools you have close at hand. Your computer and a printer are awesome, powerful allies in game design.

Here are some ideas off the top of my head:

Maybe the "beasts" (which are really mutants?) could be made up of multiple parts, each body segment on its own card. You could start with a card in the middle to represent the thorax or central body type, which would then have certain connection points for heads and appendages. If you draw these cards randomly, you could end up fighting a unique monster almost every time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Ryan
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I don't really expect a prototype in 24 hours
phew that relieves some pressure lol
Quote:
Maybe the "beasts" (which are really mutants?) could be made up of multiple parts, each body segment on its own card. You could start with a card in the middle to represent the thorax or central body type, which would then have certain connection points for heads and appendages. If you draw these cards randomly, you could end up fighting a unique monster almost every time.

That could be a great idea, might use that as a sort of "boss" system hmm yes will have to try this in a idea of "form something together as i go"(thats what I call the way you recommended) YOU HAVE BEEN A GREAT HELP KEEP IDEAS ROLLING IF YOU HAVE ANYMORE will give me more to test tonight(over here it's tonight in about 12 hours)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Ryan
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
THANKS SO MUCH FOR EVERYONE'S SUPPORT but i must i regret to say bow out of the competition a victim of circumstances has left me short of time so that will put this on the shelf for a while I am sorry, but thanks for all the support!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Shane --

I know you've bowed out ... but I figured I'd get your creative juices going again. You've played enough of my Mice'n'Men game that I think you might like to try out some similar mechanics.

So, imagine this twist.

Use the same kind of mechanics I had for Threats and Threat Cards -- but for your game, these would be threats that are faced by the human player in your game.

The Events Deck in my game would turn into a "Journey" deck for your game. Let's say that the human is taking a journey to get to a better post-apocalyptic town. So, as he travels (turning the events over), the various threats increase and spawn ... and move toward him.

The GameBoard would be a lot simpler. You can have maybe 3 or 4 spawn points, and just have the threats randomly spawn and start moving toward the center -- where the human is.

You can even do something interesting with the threat cards. In a prior reincarnation, the threat cards in my game actually had "treasure" on the other side. So, once the player defeats a threat card, he gets a reward ... like a healing potion, or a potion of strength that lets him get a bonus to building ... or a magic arrow that lets him "fight" the storm.

In your game, as the threats are these mutated beasts, maybe they have stuff that you can turn into weapons or ammo ... or healing potions.

Whatever it is, the threat card essentially becomes part of your hand of cards, and once it's used, it is discarded back to the pile.

edit -- (I'll post some draft pics and rules when I get the chance)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Ryan
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for those suggestions, reminds me a bit of the Island of D series(cant stand the theme of it though gulp) at the moment this is probaly on a complete hold but who knows maybe i'll get a burst of energy to do something soon!!!(especially with these suggestions!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Generic Journey Game
I'm going to "brainstorm out loud" ... so forgive me if this particular response sounds like I'm rambling on... I've been thinking of an abstract journey game for about a week now; and this particular WIP seemed to be a good chance to fit in a theme.

Overview
A solitaire or cooperative game. The player(s) are traveling to some certain destination. The game describes the conflicts and challenges that the player(s) face on their journey.

Components

1 Gameboard (1 page)
9 Journey Cards (1 page)
9 Supply Cards (1 page)
18 Conflict Cards (2 pages)
36 Effort Cards (1 page)
Maybe also counters (poker chips) in 2 colors.

Hmmmm... looking at the components, most likely the quick-PnP release will be solitaire. I'm thinking you'll need a page of supply cards for each additional player.

Setup

Shuffle up the Journey Cards, set aside as Journey Deck.
Shuffle up the Supply Cards, set aside as Supply Deck.
Shuffle up the Conflict Cards, set aside as Conflict Deck.
Shuffle up the Effort Cards, set aside as Effort Deck.

Each player draws 3 Supply Cards. Supply Cards have a number between 1 and 3. (value distribution among 9 cards: 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3) Supply cards may also grant a special ability (more on that later).

Reveal the top card of the Journey Deck (place it face-up on table). Select a First Player. Game begins.

Turn Cycle

Action ... pick one:

a. Journey On. Each Journey card has a challenge number (not sure of range yet... maybe between 1 and 4, distributed as: 1, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 1).

b. Fight. Conflict cards will turn up; and they'll also have a challenge number.

c. Scrounge. Each Journey card will have a "resource availability" number ... and that will also be a challenge.

For each action, the player selects one or more Supply cards from his hand. The supply cards will represent the player's strength. Counters as specified by the challenging card will represent the opposition. Resolve using my challenge mechanic in Mice'n'Men. Keep track of the number of additional tries, as always.

Once the player uses Supply Cards, they are discarded. Note: there is no draw phase. You'll have to find supply cards in Scrounging or Fighting.

Conflict -- each additional try does two things:
1. A Conflict card is drawn and placed on either the north or south horizon. It might push any existing cards there (meaning that the conflict card may cause other conflict cards to move). Counters are placed on the conflict as specified by the card.

2. The *closest* conflict card moves toward the player. (not sure how many spots between horizon and player, yet). (If there's a tie in closest card, player picks one)

If a conflict moves into the player's square, a Fight action/challenge becomes mandatory. The player gets to select Supply Cards to aid him; resolve as a regular Fight action; except he can't escape.

Scrounge Action -- I think I'll give the player a base scrounge skill of 3. Add whatever supply card he uses as a bonus. Each "damage" the player deals to the scrounge challenge lets him draw a supply card.

Fight Action -- hmm... I might also give the player a base fight skill. Maybe 2. Again, add whatever supply card he uses as a bonus. Each "damage" eliminates a counter/chip on the conflict card.

At the bottom of each conflict card is a Reward. This may be a special ability gained (keep the conflict card in your hand), or it may be a number of supply cards drawn.

Journey Action yeah, a "journey" skill would be nifty too. Again, add whatever supply card he uses as a bonus. Each "damage" eliminates a counter/chip on the journey card. Once all counters/chips on the journey card are eliminated, the journey card is discarded, and a new journey card is revealed.

(edit to add....)

Game ends when last journey card is discarded.

Hmmmm... now that I've written it out, it might be possible to reduce it down to 6 journey cards with the two-month cycle on it.

And that will give us 3 extra cards to use as custom characters for the player(s) to choose from. Each custom character would have different skill levels at scrounge, fight, and journey ... and maybe a built-in special ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check this out:
Journey Rules and barebones cards PDF on google docs.

Haven't tested it yet; but I think it's a pretty good start. It's all generic, so you can add in the flavor, and make any difficulty modifications.

(I'm cutting the prototype out right now and will be testing soon)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.