Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephan Rasmussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played mission 5 "the decoy" a couple of times. One question has arisen every time that I am stunned not being able to find the answer to in any FAQ or any threads on BGG..

Basically the question is this: Is a Space marine allowed to make a diagonal move to go off map when you are standing with the exit point to the side of the Space marine.

We played that you could since I could not find anywhere that you could not. I guess it depends if the off map area is treated as the continuation of a narrow corridor or like moving into an open room for instance.

Look forward to hearing your answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker Hirscher
Germany
Oftersheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You mean the exit point is in one of the three front hexes? Then, why should you not be allowed to move off? It's just a normal move...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Rasmussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mavo wrote:
You mean the exit point is in one of the three front hexes? Then, why should you not be allowed to move off? It's just a normal move...

no the exit point is the side square.. so a diagonal move forward or backward would take you off map so you dont have to change facing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps this will clarify the question a little (I'm at a loss for the answer to):

Row 1 [M]
Row 2 [ ]
Row 3 [ ][ ][ ] > Exit

M is the marine. He can exit by:
Moving to row 2 (1 AP)
Moving diagonally to south-east to row 3 (1 AP)
Turning to face east (1 AP)
Moving off the exit (1 AP).

For 4 AP.

But..he could also potentially exit by:
Moving to row 2 (1 AP)
Moving diagonally to south-east to row 3 (1 AP)
Moving diagonally south-east off the board (1 AP)

For only 3 AP.

Whether this move would be possible depends on the layout of the portion of the Space Hulk that's off the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know the answer, but I've played it as though there was more corridor off the board, so that you couldn't move off diagonally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After looking at the rules and mission book, I still don't know what the answer is, but I've got an opinion.

The rules say that you exit from a mission by moving into an imaginary square off an exit point. There's no mention of where the square needs to be, so saying it has to be straight off is adding a restrictions that the rules don't have.

So I would say you can exit diagonally.

EDIT: Whoops! Added a "don't" that rather changed the meaning of what I said
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker Hirscher
Germany
Oftersheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would second stormknights opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thornton
United States
Canby
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My vote is no way. If it says "imaginary square" and not "squares" it is a stretch (in my opinion, for what little it's worth) to assume there is a nice big convenient room available to make the mission easier for the marines. If it doesn't explicitly say it, it's not there.

Additionally, all of the room tiles (if I am recalling properly) have one space of "corridor" before opening up into the actual room, so if the hulk continues on it should be based on the components at hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David, that's a very good point that I hadn't considered. It also makes me very certain that the intent was not to have the marines move diagonally off the map.

For all of you still questioning this, take any piece in the game and attach it to the existing map and you'll see that it's impossible to exit the map on the diagonal.

For me, it's enough of a boon that the a terminator can spend its last AP to move off the map, but still not block the exit for other Terminators that same turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
However, a corner or T-Junction could allow a diagonal move like that.

And you wouldn't write 'squares' wouldn't work no matter what the intent is. You wouldn't say a marine "moves into the imaginary squares..." since a marine only occupies one square. Saying "moves into one of the imaginary spaces..." wouldn't make any sense; there are NO imaginary spaces, so it doesn't make any sense to move into one of them.

I don't have a strong feeling on how it should be, but this idea:
Quote:
If it doesn't explicitly say it, it's not there.

is exactly what make me think a marine CAN exit diagonally!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
For all of you still questioning this, take any piece in the game and attach it to the existing map and you'll see that it's impossible to exit the map on the diagonal.

Whoa! And you are right. I'd somehow had it in my head that you could set up a piece to do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Rasmussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still off map should not be considered as any of the tiles since its actually not part of the map but something completely else. The rules do not say anything about what square you could move on to.

I have no opinion whats right or wrong but I am surprised it has not come up before in a FAQ or something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
しんぶん赤旗
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KenToad wrote:
I don't know the answer, but I've played it as though there was more corridor off the board, so that you couldn't move off diagonally.

I agree. Anything else is wishful thinking in my opinion. Space Hulk is meant to be hard for the marines. Anything that makes it easier for the marines goes against the spirit of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.