T V
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Hey All! We have started up a new community with a bang here at Mt.Allison University, Canada. First and foremost I'd like to give a BIG thanks to Lasombra for giving prize support and stock to the event!

Despite a snow storm we had 16 in attendance, and without it we may have had as many as 20! In a small town of 5000 this is very impressive and the biggest non-electronic gaming events on campus I have ever seen.

The event was designed to be non-competitive and newbie friendly. All the players RSVPed after I did a demo with them at some point during the past month, so were not walking in blind. Players reserved and purchased a pre-con from either 3rd edition or KoT display as the only fee for the event. Generally games were played in tables of 4 with one at size 5 for fun.An experienced player sat as purely a referee at each table to help things along. We had 3 rounds total and a fun pick up game at the end after prizes (starter decks, EVERY player received one) were issued in order of points (half VP, half fun "honours" such as "Creepiest" and "Most Feared."

The event was done with a rough storyline, which I will update with specific results and game-reports later.

Regards.
TV

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris shorb
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re: Vampire: The Eternal Struggle Pre-Con Newbie "bonanza" Report
Awesomeness TV!

Would you care to describe in more detail what you did in the weeks leading up to your event to have 16 people there?

Quote:
(starter decks, EVERY player received one)

Was this in addition to the "fee" you required for the event?

Because I am lazy, what city/metro region/province is Mt. Allison University?

Congratulations, your efforts sound like they really paid off!

chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T V
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
chris,

I already run the Wargaming (mostly warhammer) stuff as well as the software for the campus LAN parties, so I had lots of contacts and a few mailing lists to work with. I combined this with aggressive demo-ing with the few pre-cons I had. We also played publicly at the local LGS which helped in "townie" recruiting.

On your query about the starter decks for prizes, no there was no additional fee. Everyone bought the 1 precon for 10$ at the start and through some accounting and support from Lasombra we were able to give these all out as "prizes", so free of charge. Furthermore, because I did all the demos in advance, I made the deal for people to RSVP and pre-pay the event so ordering in bulk was low risk, and people not showing up (as gamers tends to) was *not* an issue where it normally is. In exchange for pre-paying the player was able to reserve the deck of their choice from the pool. We could have had as many as 20 but those were just unconfirmed and 1 or 2 due to storm conditions later in the day.

Mt. Allison University is a "lauded" undergraduate-focused university in Sackville, New Brunswick, Canada. I have posted up on the BGG forums in the region about this and have a lot of contacts through the Gaming store chain "Gamezilla" of which I was a big wargaming community member before leaving ( I still try to be, they are just a car drive away 8) )

The onus is now on the few "vets" and I to promote regular game play. I really think that the giving away of pre-cons helped a lot as I am already hearing of people planning to bring it back to their end of campus (or their end of province, in some cases) and run some demos amongst friends.

The biggest issue facing us is stock. The local LGS has been sporadic in supporting VTES. If I could get the game going in the much larger community (|my home one) of Moncton, there is a good chance one of the bigger chains that I already have experience co-operating with will carry it and at better stocking rates and prices. But that will be some work to pull off, let me tell you laugh

I am currently ordering a big commons stack from one of our own, Rubia, to help supplement the newbies in the area especially those trying to pull off cammarilla from the pre-con sets. However this is not quite the same as having boosters available for all the hungry new players cry More group orders are always an option as well, of course. It just takes more time and risk on my part

Regards,
TV

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T V
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
As promised here are a few excerpts of games played (summary data by the presiding "ref/judge", then edited and finalized by me):

*Note:I will show seating as such- (Player 1)-->(Player 2)-->(Player 3) etc.

**AlsoNote: First round was very exhibition-like but was still scored for a bit in the end (as we did not want to push the time for a 4th round)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

-Cammarilla table round 2 (the 4 cammarilla KoT precons):

Seating-->(Malk)-->(Toreador)-->(Brujah)-->(Ventrue)

Summary: Brujah and Toreador struggle but fail to prevent the aggressive malk ousting. This is further aided by the ventrue player who agrees to a vote pact with the Malk player (The Malk player has the inner circle "lutz" ready, meaning every referendum passed burns 1 of his prey's pool). When only the ventrue and malk are left, there is a quick struggle but despite a very close call the Malk player powers through.

Comedic Notes: Brujah player taking 5 bleed for the toreador player to slow down the Malk via major boon.

Final : Malk 4 VP (All)

-Sabbat table round 2 (the 4 sabbat 3rd ed precons):

Seating-->(!Brujah)-->(!Malk)-->(!Tremere)-->(Tzmische)

Summary:This one was brutal from the start. Early !tremere bleed is intercepted by !tzmische, and in the resulting combat both their 8-caps torpor each other on the first turn they are out! (2nd round, body arsenal vs Walk of flame). However, a fortunate "recure of the homeland" brings the !tremere vampire back quickly and in time to start re-directing the heavy !Malk bleed. Now being bled by both dominate and the redirected dementation, they Tzmische player is ousted *very* early. The !malk player, having been bled by the !brujah politics and blocked/redirected by !tremere, are the next to be ousted. Now with only 2 players standing, both adept in combat, the fight is fierce. Over half of both crypts burn or torpor in the viscous combats. However, despite gaining the upper hand in the combats, the !brujah player has more pool and ekes out a kill via KRC.

Summary: !Brujah 3VP, !Tremere 1VP

-Mixed table round 2 (mostly sabbat with one !nosferatu precon, black hand):

Seating-->(Tzmische)-->(Toreador)-->(!Brujah)-->(!Nosferatu)

Summary: The early game is marked by an offensive gambit by the
Tzmische into the toreador. The toreador are crippled but the tzmische player spends a great deal of blood and is weakened.The toreador slowly recover and harass the !brujah whilst the !nosferatu bloat via "Nosferatu Kingdom" whilst harassing both prey and predator. Things started to get ugly when a famed Hektor(!Brujah) was torpered by the toreador. Once this occurred, the bloated !Nosferatu struck and overcame the Tzmische who had not recovered from the early game. The toreador finish the !Brujah, but are still weakened compared to the !Nosferatu who win in the end.

Comedic Notes: Tzmische player burns himself with "breath of dragon (or something like that) to torpor the toreador inner circle member. At least he was at low blood anyways!

Final: 3VP !Nosferatu, 1VP Toreador

Table 1 Round 3:

Seating-->(Tzmische)-->(Ventrue)-->(!Tremere)-->(Brujah)

Summary: The Tzmische player presses the ventrue in combat early (but plays it better than the last round), nearly winning by bleed. The ventrue player is only saved by a critical major boon by the Brujah player.The Ventrue player makes use of this help to oust the !tremere player *and* the Brujah player (who had fought a great deal and weakened each other) in short order. A long battle ensues between the tzmische and ventrue but the empowered venture eventually win out.

Final: 4 VP Ventrue (All)

Table 2 Round 3

Seating-->(!brujah)-->(Toreador)-->(!Malk)-->(Tzmische)

Summary: The !malks start well early but are held back very well by a good defense on the tzimshce end. The main offensive deck stalled, the game slows to a grind much to the advantage of the tzmische who get the ball rolling when they are good and ready with a "Smiling Jack" and "Powerbase Barranquilla" combo. Meanwhile the toreador play defensive and get as many guns as possible as the !brujah harass them. The tzmische player is able to defend well for several turns but is overcome *just* in time by all the players ganging up. !Malks then oust the weakened tzmische with what they have left, as well as the weakened !brujah later. The toreador player finally goes on the offensive but is slightly late as the !malk recover quickly with the pool from 2 kills. In the end the Toreador player plays a KRC to kill himself and the !malk at the same time! What a finale!

Final: 2VP !Malk, 1 VP toreador

Table 3 round 3 (most of the winners here)

Seating-->(!nosferatu)-->(!brujah)-->(Malk)-->(Toreador)

An overconfident Toreador player is *very* quickly ousted by the Malk to the chagrin of the other players.The !brujah player bides time and gains political power whilst harassing the malks. The !Nosferatu player bloats as in previous rounds, while harassing in combat. However neither players have their late game gambits in time for the Malk player, who eats through them both in a stunningly quick fashion, even by their standards.

Final: Malk 4 VP (All)

Awards:

*note: prizes were given out based not only on VP but by "character" awards, some voted by the judges, some voted by the players. Everyone in the event received a deck as a prize, the "winners" just got first pick.Generally it seemed even the lower scored players were very happy and got decks they could use or share, there was really no negative feedback.

malks - Edward Cullen Award of Infamy, and 1st place "Dominatrix"

!brujah - 2nd place, "Usurper"

!malks - 3rd place, "Greatest Cape"

ventrue - 4th place, "Pentagram Award"

!nosferatu - Greatest Creeper Award, 5th place

!tremere - Most annoying (Lindsay Yates Award--another inside joke--), 6th place

toreador - Mind rape Award, 7th place

tzmichse - Drama Queen Award

tzmische - Flat-Out Sexiest Award

brujah - Most Zac-like Fail Award (inside joke; one of the vet players has some pretty infamous screw up XD)

!brujah - Hemophiliac Award (8D)

Alright, sorry for taking so long to post this up! We are meeting at our LGS this monday for what will hopefully be weekly sessions, very exciting. Even more so that I was able to negotiate with the store to finally get VtES stock and at lower pricing! I think the market poll is favourable, seeing as they have only had the stuff for 2 days (2 Starters displays, 1 booster display) and the they are already 50% sold out

I think it's all going to be gone by the time tomorrow's meet is over!

I'd like to thank the other guys who helped out for the event (and got me into the game, at that) and continuing support with the new players. I would of course like to again thank Lasombra (to whom which this report is much overdue) who not only helped out with prizes but was also AMAZING for giving advice and helping me draft the event parameters. Without his experience I don't think this would have gone nearly as well.

Please ask any questions you like. I would love to see further events occurring, so we can compare notes and make these community promotions even more effective.

Regards,
TV

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.