ali islam
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
“Mecca To Medina” Opening Gameplayers’ Eyes to Islamic and Muslim Traditions
A new card/dice game bridges the cultural divide between the Eastern and Western worlds.

Sherman Oaks, CA (PRWEB) April 11, 2005 -- Muslim Games today announced the worldwide debut of a new card/dice game called “Mecca to Medina.” A fast-paced game that blends the strategy of card play with the luck of the dice, “Mecca to Medina” appeals to a global audience.

The first company solely devoted to manufacturing games for Muslims, Muslim Games strives to bridge the cross-cultural gap that currently exists in the United States. By promoting understanding between Eastern and Western cultures, “Mecca to Medina” brings diverse people together in a fun environment. The game is designed for players ages eight and up, Muslim and non-Muslim alike.

An August 20, 2004 article at IslamOnline revealed that in the wake of 9/11, the percentage of Americans who are unsympathetic toward Islam has reached 38% of the population. At the same time, the percentage of Americans who wish to know more about Muslims and Arabs is about two thirds of the U.S. population. Both misunderstanding and curiosity over Muslims abound.

By introducing non-Muslims to such concepts as The Five Pillars of Islam, “Mecca to Medina” sates this curiosity and simultaneously clears up some of the misconception.

Pitting player against player, the goal of “Mecca to Medina” is to complete a series of Trading Routes faster than one’s opponents by collecting the required symbolic resources. Combining geography and world culture into its game play, “Mecca to Medina” is as educational as it is entertaining. Unlike other board games, action lurks around every corner of “Mecca to Medina,” with every roll of the dice spurring activity, even when it’s not a player’s turn.

With only a prototype in hand, both Muslims and non-Muslims are already praising “Mecca to Medina” for its ingenuity. Ed West, a non-Muslim and thirty-year veteran of board games, gives the game high marks for its unpredictability: “No matter what plans you have, there are random events and other player actions that can mess up what you wanted to do. I like that. It keeps the game fresh every time you play.”

Ushruf Abouelnasr, a Muslim who typically favors video games over board games, admits about himself and his friends: “We have been hooked! I love both the suspense and the negotiating aspect of the game.”

An American Religious Identity Survey (ARIS) conducted in 2001 conservatively estimated that there were 1.1 million adult Muslims in the U.S., making Islam the nation’s third most prevalent religion. Current mainstream media estimates that number to be five to seven times higher. No matter the actual figure, the need for entertainment that caters to the growing Muslim American population obviously exists. Muslim Games aims to fill that gaping marketing void with “a game for every Muslim.”

For more information on Muslim Games’ “Mecca to Medina” rules of play, visit the company’s Website at http://www.muslimgames.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I hope this one is better than some of the bad Christian and Mormon games out there. I'm having trouble getting the rules PDF to load from their site, but it looks like it's meant to be a short and pretty chaotic resource collecting game.

To give them credit, they DID at least make their own game and not do a "Settlers of Islam" version. Still, I doubt it will do much to bridge any gaps of misunderstanding since 95%+ of the buyers will already be Muslim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Ciaramella
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I think its a good idea. I dont think it will do much "bridging" of any gaps, but its nice for muslim kids and families to have a game that involves a theme that sits close to heart. If it gets decent reviews, this will find a place in my collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone wants to get basic flow of game, check this out:
http://www.muslimgames.com/howtoplay.html

It looks like it has a chunk of the Settlers cardgame in it, but with a bit more skill involved, and streamlined in gameplay. This is definitely one worth keeping one's eye on. Please add this game to the list of games trackable on Boardgamegeek.

I would seriously consider getting a copy myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game seems quite Settlers-esque. Instead of building setlements & cities, you collect & trade goods to complete Trade Route cards and acquire Camels (you need less water), Caravans (which increase production and holding limits) and Majahad (who fight off Crusaders).

One rules glitch I noticed is the Caravan rules say you can hold 20 cards when you have a Caravan, but the holding cards rules say maximum of 7, 10 with one Caravan, 15 with 2 Caravans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom "Snicker Daddy" Pancoast
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks interesting. I look forward to seeing the first comments and reviews. I assume it is one of your two pending submissions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ali islam
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Quote:
One rules glitch I noticed is the Caravan rules say you can hold 20 cards when you have a Caravan, but the holding cards rules say maximum of 7, 10 with one Caravan, 15 with 2 Caravans.

This was a only error to the best of my knowledge that was missed. The error is that part regarding holding 20 cards, which is not correct. The second part is correct where each player can hold only 7 cards normally unless they have a caravan which will allow them to hold 10 cards and with 2 caravans they can hold 15 cards. Otherwise, without carvans, you have a maximum of 10 cards you can hold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom "Snicker Daddy" Pancoast
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed that the game is in the database now:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/17564

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kidd
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Ali,

Any chance of some images?

Also, will this be published outside the U.S.?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.