Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Going off and working on something doesn't reinsert your workers into the bag at the end of the turn, right? The new rulebooks says:

Quote:
The spent Units are placed on the Phase card to mark which Actions have been used; these Units are then returned to the supply at the end of the Phase.

The definition of the "supply" seems to be an area beside the board, different from the bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
MrWeasely wrote:
Going off and working on something doesn't reinsert your workers into the bag at the end of the turn, right? The new rulebooks says:

Quote:
The spent Units are placed on the Phase card to mark which Actions have been used; these Units are then returned to the supply at the end of the Phase.

The definition of the "supply" seems to be an area beside the board, different from the bag.

yes, supply is defined in the Valley Rules as an area off to the side of the board and is different than the bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
mbmbmbmbmb
wow, thats a horrible re-wording. Needlessly confusing.

why do the rules to this game (new and old) continue to be worded so poorly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Sylvan
Sweden
STOCKHOLM
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
I do *not* understand..
And this is unclear to me anyhow.

Invader units spent building machines, for training, or sacrificed in rituals: What happen to these??

Are they available next turn?
Or are they permanently out of the game?
Or what?
And what is supply? I really did not get that..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Perry wrote:
I do *not* understand..
And this is unclear to me anyhow.

Invader units spent building machines, for training, or sacrificed in rituals: What happen to these??

They are removed from play.

Quote:
Are they available next turn?

No, that is why the invader draws more units at the start of each turn.

Quote:
Or are they permanently out of the game?
Or what?p

They are out of play but could come back in if called by something from teh supply.

Quote:
And what is supply? I really did not get that..

Invader units are in one of 3 place: the bad where they get pulled each turn, the board/cards where they are in play or in the supply where all the "not in use" pieces are stored and only used if specifically called for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kessel
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
So, there is no distinction between a killed invader and one used to execute actions? They're both just placed back into supply?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
ckessel wrote:
So, there is no distinction between a killed invader and one used to execute actions? They're both just placed back into supply?

Right. But the "supply" is just on the table, not the bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kessel
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
ckessel wrote:

Right. But the "supply" is just on the table, not the bag.

Ok, just checking before my first game.

Another stupid question, but I don't see any way for the defender to get any extra units. Did I miss something? There are a few spares, but I guess those are specifically to handle the defender's training facility (since there are no spare marksman)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
That's right. They are under siege so they only have the manpower they started with (unless they open the dungeons).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Gadoua
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Can you explain the «... and only used if specifically called for.» part of your reply.

Is there a way for units to come back from the supply pile?
And after a phase, units on the cards are placed in the supply right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
bobino wrote:
Hello,

Can you explain the «... and only used if specifically called for.» part of your reply.

Is there a way for units to come back from the supply pile?
And after a phase, units on the cards are placed in the supply right?

The supply is just the generic "dumping ground" of all game pieces not being used elsewhere.

As the Invader, your main source of Units is the bag. So generally, one a unit goes to the supply, it is done. Likewise, the Defender has no source of new units except what starts on the board. So again, if a unit goes to the supply, it is done as well.

There are a few exceptions. This is what I meant by being "specifically called for". As the Invader, you can pull units out of a supply when you train your troops. So if you go from a Goblin to an Orc, you take the Orc from the supply and not the bag. So your net increase is 0 for unit types but you are pulling from the Supply.

The exception for the Defender is also when they train up as well. The units they are putting on the board are from the supply and if none of that unit is in the supply, you can't bring it on.

Also, the Defender has the ability to release prisoners. these two units also come from the supply, again if they are available.

And to answer your other question, yes, all units spent by the Invader (and placed on the phase cards) are moved to the Supply at the end of the turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RE: training...

the function is to upgrade units, but there is no net increase in units.

You just remove a lesser unit OFF the board and replace it with a better unit FROM the supply. For the defender, the training function does this. So, there is no net gain of troops, just a net improvement in their quality.

I will have to find the exact mechanism for the invader, because after my one play, I didn't notice my opponent training anyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
darthhugo wrote:
I will have to find the exact mechanism for the invader, because after my one play, I didn't notice my opponent training anyone.

Depends what cards are drawn and put into play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what I thought... so Invader's training isn't always available, game to game. Good to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Stone
United States
Erlanger
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the real problem with the rule as its written is not so much the use of the word supply, as the use of the word supply in conjunction with the word RETURN. Return implies going back to a place previously occupied, not going to a new place. Thus the confusion...

The first and only game of Stronghold I played was a nightmare of misread rules problems. While I kind of expect this to happen with the first plays of a game, it was made worse by the fact that I was just reading rules while two friends played out the game.

We returned every "used" invader cube back to the bag after it was used. The only indication this wasn't correct was when we focused on the bonus victory point section for ritual goblins that specifically mentions returning them to the bag.

The rulebook really needs a rewrite, as well as a detailed turn order.

DS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.