United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RoboDerby: The RoboVirus
A 2- player cooperative or 1-player solitaire game variant for RoboDerby: Express
by Craig(wyldeoak) and Barbara Blumer
using the components of RoboDerby: The 3rd Wheel
RoboDerby: Express created by Clint Herron (Han Clinto)
The 3rd Wheel created by Brian T. Carpenter (byronczimmer)

Game Description
The green robot has been infected by the RoboVirus. It is now out-of-control with a more powerful laser. Left unstopped, the Infected Robot will destroy the entire factory. The two players must program their robots to seek and destroy the RoboVirus-Infected robot before the whole factory comes crashing down on top of them.

Game Setup
The players should set up the game as usual for 2 players. The green player mat will be for the Infected Robot and should be set between the two players. Players place their robots on the appropriate A or B starting space. The RoboVirus-Infected robot should be placed on the game board tile diagonal to the starting tile, on an open square in the center of the tile (or as nearly as possible). The Infected Robot should be facing away from the wall and toward the longest unobstructed row or column.

Game Progression
Game play is as much like a regular 2-player game as is possible. Any questions or discrepancies should be resolved in light of that rule. Prior to Phase 1: Program, players may discuss their plans and approaches. However, after the dice are rolled and during programming, players may not look at each other's dice nor consult about how to program the dice. The RoboVirus-Infected robot does no programming at this point.

Phase 2: Movement is completed as follows. Just prior to carrying out the instructions for each register, a random die is chosen for the RoboVirus-Infected robot and rolled, that is the Infected robot's instructions for that register. Play then proceeds as normal; completing commands in priority order. After the commands for all three robots have been resolved, another random Infected Robot die is picked from the unselected dice and is rolled, becoming the command for the next register.

For the players' robots, lasers inflict 1 damage and the rules for damage, shutting down and scrapping are the same as in the regular game. However, the RoboVirus-Infected robot's lasers and damage work differently. First of all, the Infected Robot's lasers are more powerful. If the Infected Robot's laser strikes a player's robot it inflicts 2 damage. If the Infected Robot's laser strikes a barrier or a wall, the factory receives 1 point of damage. When the Infected Robot's laser hits a player robot, no damage occurs to the factory. After 10 points of damage, the factory collapses and all is lost. Factory damage can be tracked using dice or pencil & paper. The Infected Robot receives one point of damage when hit by a laser, however instructions are never locked regardless of the number of damage points. The Infected Robot cannot shut down.

Hacks: Players can hack the Infected Robot. The Infected Robot hacks the player robot with the higher priority number for that register. If there are more than one hack for a register, all hacks are nullified.

End Game

The game ends immediately and the RoboVirus wins if both of the players have been destroyed or the factory has taken 10 laser hits. The players both win if the Infected Robot is destroyed before that point.

Solitaire Variant

The game play is the same, except it is the solo player's single robot against the Infected Robot.

Dice Counter

Two 6-sided dice can function as a hit counter for the factory. Start with 2, six-sided dice, both showing six. Each time the factory takes a hit from the Infected Robot change one die to the next number lower. When both dice show one's, the factory has been destroyed and the game is over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks fantastic, and I have added RoboDerby Express to my cooperative geeklist as a result: Item for Geeklist "PeakHope's comprehensive list of purely cooperative games"

Can someone who has played it give an estimate of how long a typical game of RoboVirus takes to play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Blumer
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our games of RoboDerby: Express take about 20-30 minutes and the co-op version has been very similar, perhaps more to the 20 minute side.

Thanks for adding it to your list.

Craig
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Clarifications required:

1) The 3rd Wheel extension has some factory features (e.g. gears and conveyor belts) that are neither walls, nor barriers. So, if a robo-virus laser hits one of them, does it:

A) Stop
OR
B) Carry on through that object and keep going until it either leaves the factory, or hits a robot, wall or barrier?

((I guess that, technically, this is a question about the 3rd Wheel expansion rather than RoboVirus. So I will also ask it in the 3rd wheel forum)).

2) I assume that normal 'bot lasers do no damage to the factory, but a clear statement of that would be good.

3) The normal rules for RoboDerby imply a hidden wall around the outer edges of the boards. Does a laser that would otherwise exit the factory without hitting anything count as hitting that hidden wall, and thus do damage to the factory?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Blumer
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Haven't played with the additional items, so I have no play experience with these. But, I agree with B) Carry on through that object and keep going until it hits a robot, a wall or a barrier?

My thought is that these are not load-bearing walls or barriers so would not damage the factory. The laser would just pass over them.

2) Normal robots lasers work as always and so do not hurt walls or barriers.

3) The exterior walls (though hidden) are part of the factory and essential to the integrity of the factory. So, if the RoboVirus's laser strikes an exterior (& invisible) wall it counts as damage to the factory.

Thanks for helping clarify these points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
wyldeoak wrote:
3) The exterior walls (though hidden) are part of the factory and essential to the integrity of the factory. So, if the RoboVirus's laser strikes an exterior (& invisible) wall it counts as damage to the factory.

Is that true? That means that the game lasts 10 turns or less? Because every turn the green robot will fire against a interior or exterior wall, sometimes more if it rolls the firing face of some dice.

Since you need at least 6 turns of firing against it to destroy it, I cannot see how we could win. My son and I tried this morning twice and the factory disapeared before the green robot took a single hit.

It looks like a great variant, and we enjoyed the race toward the green robot, but if that is the rule it looks like "mission: impossible"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Blumer
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Franchi - Thanks for playing the coop version and for you question.

Quote:
Is that true? That means that the game lasts 10 turns or less?

I wanted a quick coop for my wife and I, and that was what I tried to do with this variant for this game.

During Phase 2: Movement the rule says: After 10 points of damage, the factory collapses and all is lost. While rather short, it is both tense and possible. Your robots have ways to thwart the Infected Robot including hacking it or even taking a hit so that the building doesn't. The result is usually your robots have a fighting chance to stop the Infected Robot before it destroys the factory. However, it is challenging. My wife and I have defeated the Infected Robot, but it is not a victory every time. If it is too difficult at present, try upping the factory's point damage to 12.

Good Luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Craig! (for the variant and for the answer!)

OK, but hacking the Infected robot didn't make much sense to us since it doesn't have a "plan" to go somewhere... I could see if by the end you are already targeting it and you don't want it to move? On the other hand, it rolled a hack twice and made each of us lose a lot of time to recover the desired trajectory.

And taking "a" hit indeed means taking two hits! In our last play, my son took twice two hits, once from a "firing die" and once at the end of the turn, and he ended in my line of fire too (instead of the Infected robot I was expecting) and took a hit from me twice too (die plus end of turn)! So his robot was destroyed, the factory disintegrated, and the green robot couldn't stop laughing...

It looks like a difficult challenge, but a fun one, so we will keep trying! Ah, and we were already playing with the factory's point damage to 12...
shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, an update: we won!

Indeed we had not realized that this variant was supposed to be so hard, and we didn't focus enough. This time we took the 4 simple boards, arranged them so that there was a most direct way to the Infected Robot, and that it could not reach easily a place to hide... and were a bit luckier!
If it becomes too easy we will use harder boards... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Blumer
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Way to keep at it.

Congrats at your success.

Craig
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Blumer
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I only made the original boards for RoboDerby. I hadn't thought about the more difficult boards others have added since; that would certainly make it much more difficult to get the Infected Robot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to know, Craig.
I was thinking that a "variant" of your variant could be to use some of the more complex boards BUT count the factory damage only when the Infected Robot hits the inner walls, not the outer hiden ones. One could imagine that the outer walls are stronger enough to resist this powerful laser!

In this way I may see the interest to hack it, if in doing so it doesn't face an inner wall. The game will be still fast, but will last a bit more than 10 turns. I'll report when I'll try, my son only wants to play cooperative now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jupklass Jupklass2
Spain
Pamplona
Navarra
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hi
I had try this variant as solo.
I must say that i found it very difficult.
There were 2 main aspects:
1 - unpredictable green bot movement. I lost like 6 turns to reach it
2 - to much damage from green bot laser to another robot(in second attempt i reduce it to just one).

no matter say that if it took me 6 and 8 turns to reach the green bot i loose both games.

but it´s kind of fun.. just i think it needs some adjustments. let´s see if i can help with some ideas becouse i will try again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jupklass Jupklass2
Spain
Pamplona
Navarra
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had try seven more times this variant and my conclusion is that at the end you, as player, you play as random as the virus robot does.

I had think about one special set of dices for the virus robot in order to reduce this kind of random behaviour.

maybe next saturday i will be able to test it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jupklass Jupklass2
Spain
Pamplona
Navarra
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had try this dice for a solo game...
it´s a little bit easier.
One change of rule, laser only afects to your robot, no to the factory... (becouse the logical thing will be that also your laser will afect the factory)

I had just play 2 games... keep trying
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.