Subject: Facebook like buttons in BGG rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peti
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
Maybe most of you noticed, that fb like buttons appeared in the newest BGG applications (BG news, Blog).
Is it a trend, which will end to everything will be "likeable" or is it only for those?

I was glad, that fb likes were not included in BGG, but this is only my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Adultman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.jasonbegy.com
badge
http://www.jasonbegy.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I really hope FB stays out of BGG. Every time you "like" something on a website FB mines that data and sells it out. FB is a privacy black hole, and personally I would very much prefer to keep them out of here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
#YOLO!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, no one is forced to have a facebook account. Easiest way is not to have one and ignore this whole thing.ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
My plea is to PLEASE KEEP FB OUT OF BGG!!

If Facebook and BGG become integrated in some fashion, I will be removing nearly all my personal information from BGG just so that it doesn't fall into Facebook's hands. I do currently have a Facebook account, for the record, and all my privacy settings are set to the strictest possible. I just don't want another website's worth of information to be given to them.

And I can't wait to see what happens if Facebook gets into the "gamer database" where people can be searched based on zip code...

One of the things I love about BGG is how friendly and (dare I say) trustworthy people can be here. I have no problem using my real name nor giving my address out to people to send various things (cards, bits, games, etc.) If Facebook starts mining a lot of data here, I will have to stop this practice.

As a side note, BGG's Privacy Policy does currently state it will not "rent, sell, or share personal information about you with other people or companies, except when we have your explicit permission". Can BGG guarantee than when a user clicks that "Like" button, no other user's information is shared with Facebook?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What? Haven't FB likes been included on all game pages for a long time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
lfisher wrote:
What? Haven't FB likes been included on all game pages for a long time?

Did not know that. Though I don't know if this is as bad since it's not on a page that contains what people have written. It would have to go into deeper pages to gather that information, while the "Like" page on a blog hosts a lot more user-related info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Remenak
United States
Northviille
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Facebook is an infectious diseases that is slowly taking over the web.

Personally, I dislike all of the "like" buttons appearing on websites outside of Facebook.

Please keep BoardGameGeek Facebook free.

-Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pizio
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Another year, another support drive, another silly Over text
badge
Which way to the nearest cliff?
mbmbmbmbmb
They have been on the game pages for over a year. Facebook recently set up a section for games that you can add to your profile. It would be good if the like button went straight to the games section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bryce
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
I currently have a PS3, PS2, Wii, XBox 360 and an Amiga 1200 all connected to my TV
badge
HMS Astute on Sea Trials
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I like the idea of Likes. People who don't want to use facebook don't have to use them, but if I 'like' something here then my friends see it on facebook (and yes, they are all genuine friends who I know in real life). Some of them who haven't played board games in a while might be intrigued, click on the link and visit the site.

Their interest might be piqued, it might not. But if it raises awareness in even one person that there are board games beyond Monopoly, isn't that a good thing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hines
United States
Perry
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup I like this thread.

I agree with these guys; we should keep FB out of BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience fb has vastly stricter privacy controls than BGG.

As far as I can tell BGG has no privacy controls at all. I can do google searches for anything board game related and this site comes up, if I click into a forum thread (also searchable) find a user comment, I can open their profile. It matters not whether I am logged into the site or not, anyone on the internet has access to all the data on BGG.

Facebook on the other hand has privacy controls that can be adjusted, and when set to keep people out, they will not have access to your data.

You might prefer BGG to Facebook for legitimate reasons, but unless I am missing something, in terms of privacy, facebook is a fortress compared to BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
Facebook Likes and Shares are already implemented on various pages on BGG and will continue to be included and possible expanded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ham
United States
The Colony
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
HONK HONK
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't have a FB, never will.

That being said we have thumbsup, so who needs "like"s?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.