Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To all the people out there designing games and posting discussion threads about them in this forum: please put more info in the heading! If I see "WIP - Valley of the Winds" or "GalaXism - A Quick Print and Play Design Challenge Entry (Rules Available)" , I don't know anything about your game and will probably assume that it is like every other game I don't enjoy.

What I would like to see is a very brief description of what I can expect from your game and why it deserves my click. "Galaxism - a quick Card Drafting space flight game for 3-5" will draw in anyone who has a passing interest in card drafting or space ships, and "WIP - Valley of the Winds: Kingsburg meets Titan" will get me to look if I like Kingsburg or Titan, or even just one small aspect of either game to see what exactly you took from each game.

Of course, you might not care if I ever look at your game or not, but perhaps for the benefit of people like me that have a hard time sifting through all of the works in progress and PnP entries trying to find something that falls in line with my interests, a five-second description would help a lot. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frankly, lengthy thread subject titles annoy me just as much as short ones. I know how you feel, because I'm annoyed by thread titles that just say "a short question..." or "a newbie's list of ?s" ...

But I wouldn't want to see insanely long titles either. Especially as the thread title becomes part of the url link for some strange reason. I actually wish there was a way to put "sub-titles".

I do like the relatively concise suggestions you have; but not everyone will be able to come up with something short and sweet like that for a subject title.

Plus, I think RaiderJakk (the head of the contest) is still using the url links, rather than using the thread=xThreadNumx tags. So changing the thread titles now will probably lead to broken links.

Anyway, the other option would be to display the description or pitch-line of the game at a rather prominent spot on the top post of the thread. We'd still have to click and load the thread, but at least we'll get the point relatively quicker than having to read through the entire thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Wyman
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
This is a rant about the WIP threads? I thought it was a general rant. Totally not what I was expecting; can you please clarify that in your thread title?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
robosheep wrote:
This is a rant about the WIP threads? I thought it was a general rant. Totally not what I was expecting; can you please clarify that in your thread title?

You can leave out the smiley as far as I'm concerned. If the OP wants others to communicate clearly in the title, he should do the same. For instance, WIP people - put more detail in your titles would make clear whom he was addressing his message to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whymme wrote:
robosheep wrote:

You can leave out the smiley as far as I'm concerned. If the OP wants others to communicate clearly in the title, he should do the same. For instance, WIP people - put more detail in your titles would make clear whom he was addressing his message to.

Alright, I suppose you've got me there. I figured putting it in the "Board Game Design" subforum would make the intended audience clear (that is, people that post in this subforum!).

I agree that another amenable solution is to give a brief description or summary of the game at the top of a game's WIP post. I'm sure there are plenty of people that do this, but there are still far too many that don't. I read game design threads like resumes...if you don't get my interest in the first ten seconds, I'm probably not going to keep reading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Woodard
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I figured putting in the "A blah blah blah entry" would be enough (in addition to the name of the game) since if you're interested in the contest entries, you might find it nice to see that the thread was about an entry into that contest.

Personally, I wish BGG had a "info block" for game designers to just dump in standard info then have this info appear as subscript under the title of the thread such as:

Quote:
GalaXism - A Quick Print and Play Design Challenge Entry (Rules Available)
# Players: 2-6; Game Type: Card game, Combat; Genre: Science-Fiction

I think that'd take care of overly-verbose thread titles. But I do see your point and will make an effort to put said information into the thread title in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Parker
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:
Plus, I think RaiderJakk (the head of the contest) is still using the url links, rather than using the thread=xThreadNumx tags. So changing the thread titles now will probably lead to broken links.

Nope. Everything after the number is pretty much ignored anyway. For example, if you go to http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/617065/this-is-not-the-right... you'll still end up back here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Wyman
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
It's in the Board Game Design section - I think it's pretty clear it's to WIP people
And the OP has a great point - the title of an unreleased game is very rarely helpful when the question is about machanics and not branding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In general, I'm a fan of encouraging people to post more descriptive titles.

In this case, I think WIP Game Title is enough. While the OP ideas for very quick summaries sound good, I'm not sure every game can be summarized so cleanly.

As I said in the other contest, every game should state very clearly, right at the top, the basic information, including: Number of players, length, theme, etc. The 10 second elevator pitch. Once I have associated a title with what the game is about, I can easily decide whether or not to skip that thread as it is updated in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I saw pale kings and princes too, Pale warriors, death-pale were they all; They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci Hath thee in thrall!’
mbmbmbmbmb
This whole thing is confusing to me as this is my first contest: I posted my entry as I was instructed too and while I get that maybe this is a lot more new listings than someone might want to deal with, why cop an additude and get pissy at the people entering vs, say, the more reasonable thing, and just emailing the person who is running the contest.

After all, when I see a request for prototype testing, the heading very ready says anything other than that and there are often 2-3 of those a day. So, I click on the link, read the description and that's that. All of the entries I have seen (and certain my own) have very extensive descriptions within the posts about that the game is about, what it consists of etc. Is it really that much of a burden to click through as you would with any other thread with titles like "Help! What is the game piece go to!?" or "Need help with design problem...." all posts I see all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
parkrrrr wrote:
Stormtower wrote:

Nope. Everything after the number is pretty much ignored anyway. For example, if you go to http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/617065/this-is-not-the-right... you'll still end up back here.

Oh cool! Thanks for clarifying that; I wasn't sure how it worked.

And that means I can go and change my titles to be a bit clearer now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Whymme wrote:
robosheep wrote:

People - Put More Detail in Your Titles sounds like some kind of bluffing game. "I'm the Prime Minister of West Alphasia." "Oh, I'm the King Joseph VII, High Prince of the Dark Marches, Duke of Delarude." Sounds like a cool game in progress. Keep up the good work.

Ahem

In other words, no matter how detailed a thread title is, it can still be misconstrued. The only thing I'd like to see is the WIP message always appear as the first part of the title. Titles like "Games Name - February contest - WIP" take longer to parse than "WIP - Feb Pnp Contest - Game Name."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WIP - game title

That is sufficient to know what the game name is and that it is a work in progress.

I open the thread once and subscribe if interested and ignore it if I'm not.

That's one click.

If you were complaining about thread titles like:
Rules questions
Help!
What am I doing wrong?
Variant

then I'm on board.

But complaning about a Work In Progress thread being about at... work in progress? No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I saw pale kings and princes too, Pale warriors, death-pale were they all; They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci Hath thee in thrall!’
mbmbmbmbmb
jmucchiello wrote:

People - Put More Detail in Your Titles sounds like some kind of bluffing game. "I'm the Prime Minister of West Alphasia." "Oh, I'm the King Joseph VII, High Prince of the Dark Marches, Duke of Delarude." Sounds like a cool game in progress. Keep up the good work.

Best. New. Drinking. Game. Ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sweetgotham wrote:
This whole thing is confusing to me as this is my first contest: I posted my entry as I was instructed too and while I get that maybe this is a lot more new listings than someone might want to deal with, why cop an additude and get pissy at the people entering vs, say, the more reasonable thing, and just emailing the person who is running the contest.

I'm not targeting anyone with my suggestion, nor am I trying to get pissy with anyone. This isn't about the newest PnP contest at all.

What I am trying to offer is constructive criticism in hopes that budding game designers will be able to more easily attract an audience for their game, as well that users like myself will be able to find new PnP games that are pertinent to their interests. Many of us don't have the time to read about every new game that is in work, and there is no tool available to help us find the games that are most likely to appeal to us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tatoolo wrote:

What I am trying to offer is constructive criticism in hopes that budding game designers will be able to more easily attract an audience for their game, as well that users like myself will be able to find new PnP games that are pertinent to their interests. Many of us don't have the time to read about every new game that is in work, and there is no tool available to help us find the games that are most likely to appeal to us.

It would seem to me then that you wouldn't be interested in anything with WIP in the heading anyway since it would be a time sink - why not just wait for the games that are launched by the designers and added to one of the many PnP threads?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So your real request is to put a summary of the game into the first post of a WIP, to allow you to make a decision about your involvement in following the game later.

The thread title doesn't indicate that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
WIP - game title

That is sufficient to know what the game name is and that it is a work in progress.

I open the thread once and subscribe if interested and ignore it if I'm not.

But complaning about a Work In Progress thread being about a... work in progress? No.

I suppose one of my issues is that I'm more interested in the end product than the development process. I hear about all of these neat contests and anticipate the results, and then it falls off my radar. It occurred to me that the January contest has finished, and I had to go out of my way to find the contest thread again to find out who the winners were. Once the contest was finished, I didn't hear about any of the games.

Of course, perhaps I should start making good use of the subscription feature. Though, the 1 full page label contest has 23 pages!

It would be great if some motivated individual would start a subscription thread, posting newly finished print and play games with a list of basic info (playtime, number of players, game mechanics, etc), a short summary, and a few pictures of game components. When someone finalizes a design, they can send a Geekmail to the thread organizer to post their game. Designers can expose their game to anyone subscribed, subscribers get to see all the new games when they are ready, and no one has to put up with obnoxiously long thread titles! Something like that would be a good resource for everyone, especially if pinned on the design subforum.

So, someone go do that. Someone who isn't me. And then make a sister thread for games that are looking for playtesters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Parker
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tatoolo wrote:
It would be great if some motivated individual would start a subscription thread, posting newly finished print and play games with a list of basic info (playtime, number of players, game mechanics, etc), a short summary, and a few pictures of game components. When someone finalizes a design, they can send a Geekmail to the thread organizer to post their game.

This sounds like the sort of thing geeklists were made for. (Especially if you edit your geeklist subscription to exclude comments.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
parkrrrr wrote:
tatoolo wrote:
It would be great if some motivated individual would start a subscription thread, posting newly finished print and play games with a list of basic info (playtime, number of players, game mechanics, etc), a short summary, and a few pictures of game components. When someone finalizes a design, they can send a Geekmail to the thread organizer to post their game.

This sounds like the sort of thing geeklists were made for. (Especially if you edit your geeklist subscription to exclude comments.)

Yes. But RaiderJakk didn't want to use a geeklist. At least ... not yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Parker
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:
parkrrrr wrote:

I wasn't referring to the current contest. I was referring to the idea I quoted: a subscription list of newly finished PnP games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
parkrrrr wrote:
Stormtower wrote:
parkrrrr wrote:

I wasn't referring to the current contest. I was referring to the idea I quoted: a subscription list of newly finished PnP games.

Ah!

Well, we're way-off-topic now ... but ...

How about this thread:
Monthly Print ' n Play Tally List Subscription Thread
which has links to a whole bunch of geeklists:
thoia wrote:
This is the subscription thread for the monthly PnP Tally list.Here they are:

Jan. '10
Feb. '10
Mar. '10
Apr. '10
May '10
June '10
July '10
Aug. '10
Sept. '10
Oct. '10
Nov. '10
Dec. '10

I'm not sure if they'll update it for 2011; but I've subscribed to that thread.

(edit)

The top post wasn't updated, but if you go to the latest posts on that thread, they do have links to Jan and Feb 2011.

Also, this might not be exactly what you were looking for ... but it's the best I found in terms of listing PnP games that people are working on.

There's also the category page: Print & Play ... but I think you'd need to create a BGG page for the PnP game, and I don't think every PnP author gets to the point of doing that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Parker
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:

Well, we're way-off-topic now ... but ...

Indeed we are. I'll drop it after this post.

Quote:

That seems to be lists of what people have printed/assembled, not what people have designed.

As long as I'm off-topic: is there a PnP guild somewhere similar to the thrift guild? There's a guild called Print and Play, but it seems to be the fan club for a podcast, rather than a general PnP thing. Things like PnP design contests and announcement lists and whatnot seem like they'd belong in that sort of place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll make one more response; we should probably really ask a moderator to sticky a thread to useful PnP links on this forum.

parkrrrr wrote:
... not what people have designed.

There's also the category page: here's the link to the Print and Play category ... but I think the game would need to have a BGG page for the PnP game, and I don't think every PnP author gets to the point of doing that.

There's also the Unpublished Prototype page, which I guess is essentially a place to put files and images for Works-In-Progress. I only found that item today, so now I can properly take some stuff off of google docs and put them someplace on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tatoolo wrote:
...a subscription thread, posting newly finished print and play games...

parkrrrr wrote:
This sounds like the sort of thing geeklists were made for.

Hot Off the PDF - PNP Games

From the geeklist:
"This is a geeklist for people to post their new PNP games that have JUST been put out. It's hard to find new PNP games sometimes, since they get overlooked, but here you'll always be able to find them."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.