Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Variants

Subject: 6 players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vanja Grujic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am thinking of getting this. Thing is, I need a good 6 player games. Can I easily transform this into 6 players? What would I need? 5 planets and 20 spaceships? Is there any rules problem?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two expansions out now, and each adds another player along with a host of other goodies that are easily integrated (and recommended). There are also two alternative methods of adding in another player, using the Shark and Zilch aliens:

Shark
You have the power of hunger. You must sit out the game for one challenge, after which you give this power card to any player who is not currently a main player. You take over his position in the game; his hand, power(s), etc. He must now sit out one challenge and may then "cut in" on a player as you did.

Zilch
You have the power to kibitz. You get no hex, tokens, cards etc. At the start of the game you write down the player you think will win. If at the end of the game, he is a winner, you win instead. To help you mold the outcome, you may look at anything in the game at any time: hands, hidden powers, secret writings, the Deck, etc. You may tell anyone anything you like, publicly or privately, including lies. And you are not affected by any power or card except the "Cosmic Zap".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vanja Grujic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, thou those two seems like they are for a experienced group.

I know about the expansions, but I'd like to save some money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Warp wrote:
There are two expansions out now, and each adds another player along with a host of other goodies that are easily integrated (and recommended). There are also two alternative methods of adding in another player, using the Shark and Zilch aliens:

Shark
You have the power of hunger. You must sit out the game for one challenge, after which you give this power card to any player who is not currently a main player. You take over his position in the game; his hand, power(s), etc. He must now sit out one challenge and may then "cut in" on a player as you did.

Zilch
You have the power to kibitz. You get no hex, tokens, cards etc. At the start of the game you write down the player you think will win. If at the end of the game, he is a winner, you win instead. To help you mold the outcome, you may look at anything in the game at any time: hands, hidden powers, secret writings, the Deck, etc. You may tell anyone anything you like, publicly or privately, including lies. And you are not affected by any power or card except the "Cosmic Zap".

So Zilch is like the Bene Geserit combined with the Bene Tlieaxu, but ungodly powerful? Not too sure this would be fun to play, though. Cosmic Encounter is much better when you're the one putting the asshole flare down that completely changes the course of a battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You would spend more money trying to assemble homemade bits for a 6-player game than you would just buying Incursion or Conflict. Trust me, they're worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Laverty
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
HA! I love these variants! Thanks Jack. PS you rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam McLean
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grujah wrote:
Thanks, thou those two seems like they are for a experienced group.

I know about the expansions, but I'd like to save some money.

What Jack quoted to you ARE the options for making it an "official" 6 player game, an option that some have used before either of the expansions were released is:

For your 6th player, use 5 drink coasters or something similar for the planets, as well as coins, for example, to use as ships. It is definitely not as elegant, but it should get you by. When you get the chance, pick up the expansions ... they are worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How does he resolve putting 3 non-distinguishable Destiny cards for the 6th player into the deck without having to buy sleeves or re-produce the entire Destiny deck in another fashion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
So with the Zilch, you still have a "turn" in the rotation? Is that the only time you can look at stuff? I'm just figuring out how the Cosmic zap comes into play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
bhz1 wrote:
How does he resolve putting 3 non-distinguishable Destiny cards for the 6th player into the deck without having to buy sleeves or re-produce the entire Destiny deck in another fashion?

Two words: Special Destiny.

Grujah, the destiny cards are the one and only component that needs to match the official components. (Everything else you can fake with whatever you have around the house.) Fortunately, there are 3 Special Destiny cards in FFG Cosmic Encounter that are 100% optional for gameplay. Just assign those 3 special destiny cards to your sixth player and you're good to go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill Martinson wrote:
bhz1 wrote:

Grujah, the destiny cards are the one and only component that needs to match the official components. (Everything else you can fake with whatever you have around the house.) Fortunately, there are 3 Special Destiny cards in FFG Cosmic Encounter that are 100% optional for gameplay. Just assign those 3 special destiny cards to your sixth player and you're good to go!

Wow, nice thinking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many times we have used special destiny for an extra player's destiny, sticky notes for the planets, and M&Ms for the ships. The only problem is that sometimes the ships mysteriously disappear, and Void has never been in any of these games...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bhz1 wrote:

Use a d6 instead of destiny pile?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very unnecessary given the special destiny option which requires no additional components or purchases and still maintains a central mechanic to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Warp wrote:
Zilch

This isn't quite right. If the person you predict wins, you *share* the win. However, for greater stakes, you may predict one winner and a number of other players who will share the win with that player. If you are correct in both the player you name winning, and in the total number of winners, then you win solo. If you go for the solo win and miss part of it (either the named winner or the number of winners), you lose.

Also, adding additional players is very easy. Draw five circles on a piece of paper - you don't even need to cut them out (unless you're playing with a few specific aliens, like the Locust). Those are your planets. 20 pennies are your ships. For Destiny, use a deck of regular cards, assign one number/rank to each player. One person is Ace, one is 2, one is 3, etc. You can accommodate up to 13 players this way.

Another players? Another piece of paper. 20 nickels. Three 7's from the deck of cards. Another player? Another piece of paper. 20 dimes. Three 8's. Etc. Quarters, poker chips, buttons, tokens from other games, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubric wrote:
bhz1 wrote:

Way too random. No guarantee that the encounters will be fairly spread out over the course of a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
Rubric wrote:
bhz1 wrote:

Way too random. No guarantee that the encounters will be fairly spread out over the course of a game.

I imagine it's close enough though. At any rate, it was just a suggestion of a quick fix for the problem of insufficient destiny cards. As others have pointed out, it isn't really necessary anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vanja Grujic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill Martinson wrote:
bhz1 wrote:

Great, thanks.

I though about using Galactica's raiders + heavy raiders as ships and basestars as planets, though I only have 4 basestars (2 cardboard + 2 plastic). I guess I can just make one.

@bhz1 - Actually, it wouldn't. As
a) games are VERY expensive here.
b) I don't care much how good it looks if it works
c) I'm willing and able to spend time in GIMP to make it good enough.

Even printing the planets (1 sheet) and 23 cards (3-6 sheets, depending on size of cards) both in full color and double sided (which I rarely do as I'm cheap and I go for b&w) would cost way less than almost any game in my FLGS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grujah wrote:
I though about using Galactica's raiders + heavy raiders as ships and basestars as planets, though I only have 4 basestars (2 cardboard + 2 plastic). I guess I can just make one.

Dammit, you've just likely triggered ideas simultaneously in my, Bill's, Phil's and Jack's heads on how to incorporate Cylons/BSG as powers/variants into Cosmic with that remark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Though this doesn't help the original poster, I figured this would be the best thread to mention that Invader from Conflict now provides another way to add an extra player without resorting to dice or a poker deck. In fact, this way, you could keep special destiny as is, or even add another other player.

I highly doubt I'll ever need to improvise for 9 players in the near future, but it's nice to know there are now convenient options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
adamxpaul wrote:
Invader from Conflict now provides another way to add an extra player without resorting to dice or a poker deck. In fact, this way, you could keep special destiny as is, or even add another other player.

Good call. The Invasion! cards are even better than the special destinies because one of them is already marked with a hazard warning, so no memorization.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WARNING: Adding more players to Cosmic Encounter is addictive, and will lead you to wanting to add even more. (Once you've played with eight players, six won't seem like very many.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.