Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read the rules and cards and think I understand the gameplay and flow.

I just don't see the advantage of attacking Ports. They are tough stat-wise and I suppose the one advantage is that whatever cargo you draw if you do win is not limited to an enemy ship's cargo hold...but it is still limited by your own cargo space availability. And you cannot sell the excees during that turn because you can only do 1 action per turn.
Odds are, if you do win the tough battle, you will draw WAY more cargo than mosts ships can hold, so much will be wasted for seemingly little gain.
Unless I am missing something, please, please enlighten me.
Seems good so far, just want to get a stranglehold on the rules to introduce to others.
Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Lepp
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Re:Rules Question Attacking Ports
Hello, this is Karl Lepp. You got the rules down! In Plunder, since you're captaining just one ship (maybe towing a prize), there is rarely (if ever) a good benefit to attacking a port. Some of the ports are also just too large to successfully attack with your single ship's crew.

Really, attacking ports becomes more feasible in The Commodore's Game (a free pdf download from www.plunderfanclub.com) - in that expansion you can have fleets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tripp Corbin
United States
Unspecified
Georgia
flag msg tools
Kalidor (#473446),
I have been playing Plunder for awhile and I can say that unless you have a ship with a large cargo hold there is not much reason to attach a port in the basic game. Since the larger ships have a much higher pay, you have to decide if it is worth the risk. I would hate to have taken a Galleon as my own ship and be forced to pay the crew only to get a single timber in plunder. Of course if you get lucky and get 12 spice then.....

However in the Commodores version this changes since you can assemble a fleet. That changes everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kglepp (#473732),
good replies, thanks!
I thought as much; I did read the Commodore's rules and see the better risk/reward value there.
Awesome!
I can't wait to give this game a full tryout; maybe this weekend

arrrharrrharrrharrrharrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.