Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The folks who taught be TTR ha originally learned it and got the rules wrong, and decided they liked their wrong rules better so they stuck with them. Instead of just being able to draw 2 train cards or claim a route, they played you could do both (but still couldn't do anything else if you chose to draw new tickets). They said they liked making the game go faster.

I had a good time playing with this variant (hey, I won!). But it just made me curious as to how it differed from the standard raw game. I ended up winning and I had built a ton of 2-length routes. It seemed that if each of those took an extra turn to claim they wouldn't have worked nearly as well and my chosen path would have sucked.

Anyone else ever played with rules like this? How much does it alter the original balance?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Pinter
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It removes the tense decision between taking cards and claiming routes. Because you can claim cards for a route you aren't even building but need in the future. So that choke point that you've been considering taking before it is gone? no worry, just take it when you are drawing for a longer route.

Also, as you pointed out, it removes the benefits of longer routes in making you run out of trains quicker. a 6-length route takes 4 turns minimum to complete. 3 2-length routes take 6 turns minimum to complete (assuming you had no cards prior).

Obviously if you like playing that way that is perfectly fine, as it doesn't break the game, but it does reduce some of the tougher decision making.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, the base game has always seemed to punish people who build a lot of short routes, so that someone who draws a lot of east coast-based tickets is at a disadvantage. That might balance that out just a little bit. It does seem to be a fairly big change that might have other consequences, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Perhaps if the consequences seemed too far reaching an alternative would be to have three choices:

1. Draw 2 cards
2. Claim one route
3. Draw 1 card and claim 1 route (2 length maximum, or maybe restrict to gray routes only)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the rules this way too. I've re-read and found my error, but have not decided to use the real rules.

We play this plenty and its been fun. I could see the real rules being slightly more tense with decision making, but, I doubt I could convince the family to play it that way now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BagelManB wrote:
Perhaps if the consequences seemed too far reaching an alternative would be to have three choices:

1. Draw 2 cards
2. Claim one route
3. Draw 1 card and claim 1 route (2 length maximum, or maybe restrict to gray routes only)

Yeah, I was thinking length 2 max. made sense too, but those tend to be the ones that are fought over anyway, so I don't know that it actually changes much. Draw 1 card I like. No face-up wilds, I would assume.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve H
msg tools
coolpapa wrote:
You know, the base game has always seemed to punish people who build a lot of short routes, so that someone who draws a lot of east coast-based tickets is at a disadvantage. That might balance that out just a little bit. It does seem to be a fairly big change that might have other consequences, though.

One way to address the problem you are mentioning -- without going as far as the variant discussed in the Opening Post -- is to adopt the 1910 Expansion rule that gives 15 points to the player who completes the most routes.

This seems more fair to me than the Longest Continuous Route bonus, since the person who gets that has probably already been rewarded with a lot of bonus points for completing the long routes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.