Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Woo-hoo.

Very happy to hear Privateer is going this direction.
http://monsterpocalypse.com/news/dangerous-monster-zone-ahea...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cookingham
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great news. I hope it gets more players to try this fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stachiw
United States
Bayonne
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NOW I may go for Monsterpocalypse esp since Heroscape is gone. The collectible factor of this game was really dissuading me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mstachiw wrote:
.... The collectible factor of this game was really dissuading me.

Agreed. I have a large amount of MonPoc collected over time but picked it up via trades, eBay and singles purchases. No way I was going to blind buy anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent news indeed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin duda
United States
fremont
California
flag msg tools
interesting news, for sure. i hope it's handled well.

I fear issues with the format. For example, meat slaves were hard to get (certainly hard to get the 4 of that some monsters want). The battle boxes included only one or two meat slaves.
Now imagine a format where you have to buy 2.5 (on average) battleboxes to get the 4 meat slaves you wanted. the secondary market will be less helpful because you will not have anyone who'd pulled a random one that they didn't want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As an "old" MonPoc player, this news is a little disappointing. It's figures from Sets 1-3 being re-released, rather than finishing out the second wave of figures (Set 6). That means that, for those of us playing with the MonPoc Now and Big in Japan figures, the game is still incomplete. We've got to wait through the re-print and re-packaging of old stuff with no new figures to play with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin duda
United States
fremont
California
flag msg tools
abrannan wrote:
As an "old" MonPoc player, this news is a little disappointing. It's figures from Sets 1-3 being re-released, rather than finishing out the second wave of figures (Set 6).

while I agree with you on one level, if i had to choose between finishing set 6 and getting more players into the game, my choice would be for the latter. my a slim margin.
if we had set 6, and this news came out, i would be plenty happy. I suspect this is evasive action on PP's part to be able to fund development of the game. My impression was that the game was seriously flagging and this was their way of bringing more money in so they could actually finish set 6.

I'm glad to hear that the battleboxes were a rousing success (i personally bought 3 for people i know for xmas), and i look forward to being able to direct my friends to faction packs to let them pick up what they need to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lunar Sol
msg tools
mb
abrannan wrote:
As an "old" MonPoc player, this news is a little disappointing. It's figures from Sets 1-3 being re-released, rather than finishing out the second wave of figures (Set 6). That means that, for those of us playing with the MonPoc Now and Big in Japan figures, the game is still incomplete. We've got to wait through the re-print and re-packaging of old stuff with no new figures to play with.

I have everything, but I'm far too happy to see the game moving to a format that actually works with the game rather than against it to care. It's a terrific game, but it was pretty impossible for stores to carry, as purchasing items in the blind boxes was never worth it. My collection is built on case purchases, but it was nearly impossible for me to expect anyone else to get the game that way, and expecting the game to thrive based on online bulk orders was just waiting for it to die. I'm absolutely thrilled to see the game is heading in a sustainable direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now, I only have my own experience to pull from, but in my local area, MonPoc was doing okay, until the extended delays after Now resulted in many of our local players losing interest. Even with that, Big in Japan was a huge seller locally, and was not followed up on. I know you want new players in the game, and that's good for the long-term longevity of the game, but to roll all the way back to series 1-3 to do it, rather than making battleboxes of the Series 4 monsters, doesn't seem productive.

As it was, we had a few new players who had battlebox armies play in our tournaments, but the prizes were Megas (and Glass figures) that they didn't have the monsters for (or even a single figure from that faction). It sends the message that what they got was "old" and "out of date"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin duda
United States
fremont
California
flag msg tools
abrannan wrote:
but to roll all the way back to series 1-3 to do it, rather than making battleboxes of the Series 4 monsters, doesn't seem productive.

interesting. it would have been interesting to see block 2 battleboxes *first*. let block 1 sit for a while and pimp block 2, and then do block 1 battleboxes just prior to block 3's release or something.
so many avenues, hard to figure out which is perfect for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lunar Sol
msg tools
mb
In my area, the game just couldn't sell in stores. People play, but only buy the singles online or if they're crazy like me, buy cases to get everything. The blind packs were just more often than not, an underwhelming purchase, and all the stores I frequent dropped the game pretty quickly.

Blind purchase is just a tough sell that gets tougher as players become more aware of it. Honestly, the only one that makes any sense at all to me is Magic, and that's only because they've developed an entire sub-game (arguably the main game) designed around the blind purchase mechanic. MonPoc's armies are just way to structured for the blind purchase to result in anything but disappointing packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't get me wrong, this is good news overall. Bilnd buy wasn't really working out for PP. I'm just disappointed that I don't get any new toys to play with (unless you consider new players as toys )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Norris
United States
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is terrific news! I never bought the 2 player pack because I was still turned off by the random blind purchase. This will finally get me into this game and then it's good bye money, hello monsters!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzych Kowalczyk
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I see it, Monsterpocalypse just went from 'very good' to 'best game ever!'

Seriously, the collectible sale format was the only thing wrong with this game. And now it's fixed. I have the new battlebox and was about to get a second one hoping for more factions, but now I'll just wait and get the new faction packs instead so I won't have to worry about getting duplicates

Yay for Privateer! You'll be getting my money, and lots of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Glave
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who just took the plunge into this game, this is excellent news. I am thrilled to see the change in format even though I am curious when if Series 6 will be released. I was kind of excited about the giant jellyfish I saw a preview of. Overall, this is an awesome decision. The game has has a lot of depth and incorporates many mechanics not typically used in a miniatures game.

Alpha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll save my celebrations until after I see the price point. Jacking this up to AT-43 price levels won't recruit too many new players...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Glave
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would assume that the price point won't be all that hard to swallow judging by the 2 player battle box. It may not be quite as good, but it will probably be reasonable. It's also important to note that Monsterpocalypse is in the skirmish range, as far as the number of minis needed, which will give it a huge advantage in price over AT-43's model.

Alpha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While this is good news, and will make pitching monpoc to new players a lot easier, I fully agree with everyone who would rather have had news about series 6.

I want to round off my tritons and elemental champs drat it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Norris
United States
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd imagine with the movie coming out they are trying to get younger kids to want to buy these.

Hard to buy something that you can't really see. PP stock has risen greatly in my eyes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was actually looking to try this game out so this changes it from a perhaps to a definite to introduce to my gaming group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
greyelephant wrote:
I'd imagine with the movie coming out they are trying to get younger kids to want to buy these.

Hard to buy something that you can't really see. PP stock has risen greatly in my eyes.

Younger kids buy Pokemon and Yi Gi Oh by the bucketful, so I don't see blind buy necessarily being an impediment to the youth market.

Amusingly, my group consisted about 50% of fathers who justified their purchases by the fact that they could play with their sons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Norris
United States
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bwian wrote:
greyelephant wrote:

Younger kids buy Pokemon and Yi Gi Oh by the bucketful, so I don't see blind buy necessarily being an impediment to the youth market.

Amusingly, my group consisted about 50% of fathers who justified their purchases by the fact that they could play with their sons.

Yes, but Pokemon and Yu Gi Oh are both advertised with cartoons. MonPoc will have a movie and it makes perfect sense to let the kids see whats in the boxes instead of pulling random boosters and being dissapointed.

A movies will only carry MonPoc so far. They need kids and adults to buy the products early and then let the addiction begin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks for a place to hide his shame. whistle

Bwian wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abrannan wrote:

And I bet to get the Set 6 figures we end up having to buy a complete 4-6 army at once so buying Set 4 and 5 turns out to be a bad move. As if I wasn't already done buying this game because of the idiotically long delay between 5 and 6...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.