Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Jester
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
Has anyone ever played or experimented with the addition of an air unit to this game? Perhaps with increased range, but the inability to attack, only support?

My experience with this game is very limited, so this may of course be against the whole feel/mechanics of the game, making defensive strategies much more impenetrable, or making air builds the norm.

Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO, it would reduce the focus of the game; which is to focus on negotiation and (often temporary) coalition building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
pmboos wrote:
IMHO, it would reduce the focus of the game; which is to focus on negotiation and (often temporary) coalition building.
Not to mention being a tad non thematic given the standard game starts in 1901.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Todd
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
visit Uhlan Games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes - there's quite a few variants on maps, units, economics, and more.

I GM and play via DiplomaticCorp where there's a Diplomacy Wiki that details a lot of variants - including those that use aircraft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shields
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phleebagg wrote:
Has anyone ever played or experimented with the addition of an air unit to this game? Perhaps with increased range, but the inability to attack, only support?

My experience with this game is very limited, so this may of course be against the whole feel/mechanics of the game, making defensive strategies much more impenetrable, or making air builds the norm.

Any thoughts?

I believe that one of the versions of the "Modern" variant did have air units. I never played it with them, so I can't say much about how it worked. I don't believe they had any additional range. I think they simply could move to any space (water or land), but they were not able to capture centers. (You could still "attack" with them, and they could sit on top of an enemy center, but it wouldn't change ownership.) Although thinking about it, that sounds pretty weak, so maybe there was more to it than that.

I don't think there would necessarily be a huge problem with something like this if you wanted, but I also don't think it would add much.

Diplomacy is not really a war game at all. These kind of changes may be interesting for the sake of variety, but ultimately I'm not sure they matter that much. The particular tactics may be interesting, but aren't really what the game is about.

The essence of the game is getting other players to do your work for you. The units are just tools.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I know of diplomacy I would just presume in a modern setting air power is factored in organically into the Army and Navy pieces. It cannot remain in place and contest a space from attackers, so really it's transparent at this level of abstraction.

If you were to insist on placement, I would suggest that it could only perform support actions on so many territories away. It does not count as an occupying unit, and if attacked directly it is removed. The presumption would be that the air piece constitutes the nexus of air operations to surrounding forces.However it can support land and sea conquests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.