United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Read the rules!

This game looks awesome. Would LOVE to see this produced.

Would this qualify (be suitable for) for an on-demand print company, component-wise?

Caleb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Henkell
United States
Enid
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's fun. Today at work, I dropped some bombs off by the final door. I went back into the dungeon to level up, get a healing potion and a key. I went back to the final room and kicked some butt. However, when I exited, a lone goblin beat me to within an inch of my life. There were 2 moments today when it came down to a 50/50 chance for survival. I won them both. I got out with 36 gold pieces. I've been playing the line art version. I've also been working on the color version. I'll be making some slight modifications and additions to the pieces after playtesting. I made the dice once I determined I only need 3 to play. I'm using pawns for the monsters at the moment, red for helmeted, yellow for bare. I'll replace the pawns with One Monk figs.

I'm playing with the rule that I re-roll for half the monsters even if there are still monsters in the room I retreated from. This is a nice penalty for backing up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Michael,

How "nice" of a version do you plan to make? Full-color with wooden pieces, etc.?

I'm very interested in a PNP expert making this for me. I'd pay whatever is reasonable plus shipping, of course.

The version in the photo gallery is the quality I'm looking for (or better!).

Caleb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Henkell
United States
Enid
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The figs will be 2D from www.onemonk.com. I'll be making lock and heart tokens. I'll print the cards bigger with white borders and backs. The cards, treasure, and tracker will be laminated. The backs of the treasure will be color coded so they can be easier found for purchase and set up.

The tiles will be semi gloss photo on white mat board. I'll isolate a white skull to change it to yellow.

I'm making 2 easy to turn dice for level and experience. The D6 tracker will have numbers in order along 4 sides, and the 5th side will be an easy flip. The numbers will always be right side up. The EXP tracker will be a D10 with the numbers in sequence on each side. The bottoms of the numbers will be at the points, as it's easier to turn a D10 by the middle. When a 5th point is gained, I will be able to simply press down the 4 in the proper direction and spin the die around. The die will reset to 0 the same way after the 2nd side is exhausted. My dice stickers are covered with clear packing tape before cutting for protection and gloss.

The game will be boxed with dividers and art.

Here's what I've been working with so far.

I'm sorry, but I won't be building a copy for sale. I'm building 5 different games at the moment. I also have family, other hobbies, and work that occupy my time. You should contact
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Henkell
United States
Enid
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just modified all the white skulls and keyholes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Henkell
United States
Enid
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the card back.

Here's the cover art

The pic is "Goblin head" by Samuel Johansson. You can go to http://www.elfwood.com/~samuel/Goblin-head.3187709.html to tell him how awesome this pic is.
EDIT: The comment above mine on Sam's page is from 2005 . Looks like Sam posted his 1st of 4 pics in 2000. That's when he got his 1st comment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Henkell
United States
Enid
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These larger cards are 2 1/8 X 2 5/8. This was my 1st time laminating. I used Scotch laminating sheets. I learned about cutting laminated card stock. Poster putty and multiple cuts help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These pieces look pretty awesome! The cards are one of the parts - along with the tiles - which would have benefited from not being stuck on one page for the contest restrictions, IMO; if I'm reading the size right, these look a lot less fiddly.

Good idea just making two monster dice and using pawns, too - I know by the end of the one-sheet PnP contest I was getting a bit sick of sticking labels onto dice, and I felt a bit guilty about having six labelled dice in DiaT by that point! ;-)

androidlove wrote:
I learned about cutting laminated card stock. Poster putty and multiple cuts help.

For what it's worth, when I had the same problem, I solved it by sticking a bit of duct tape lengthways to my steel ruler; a few millimetres or so of the width on the top side, then folded around underneath, and in the middle of the ruler underneath it's rolled back on itself to leave a 6 or 7mm strip of the sticky side facing downwards. The downside is that now I can't use the same ruler on non-laminated surfaces 'cause it pulls toner up off them... ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Henkell
United States
Enid
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the duct tape tip and the compliments. Thanks for reminding me I forgot to include the new dimensions.The cards are 2 1/8 X 2 5/8.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Henkell
United States
Enid
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I should note the reason I'm having so much fun with this game. I've changed the rules. I'm not sorting tiles into A and B piles. The laying rules I use are 1. If there is no exit left somewhere in the dungeon, put that tile back and shuffle the tiles. 2. An exit cannot run into a wall. These changes allow for more strategies, and make the dungeon a more interesting maze. It's been a more balanced game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I have to admit, I'm so visually-oriented that I have "trouble" with PNP games.

I will follow this game, though, and solicit a for-pay copy from a PNP expert.

Caleb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caleb, I could make you a copy for a fairly low price if you were interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Howitzer_120mm wrote:
Caleb, I could make you a copy for a fairly low price if you were interested.

Interested.

Elaborate on component break-down and ballpark price.

As mentioned--in another post in these forums, the dice are the Achille's heel for me, so what can you do materials-wise?

Also, the game continues to develop, so we might should give it a short while to stabilize.

Definitely interested, though.

Caleb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would do the tiles and tokens on chipboard.
I would include a small box w/ a cover on the top and sides.

For the dice - I can make them stickers, and put them on:
-blank dice
-indented dice
-wood cubes

It would be say, $15 for a copy of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Sounds good.

Let's give a brief wait for the rules to "settle" as there were updates even today.

Follow this post and I will let you know. I can pay up-front to assure your work is honored.

Caleb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Print & Play Productions to see some examples of my work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Howitzer_120mm wrote:
Check out Print & Play Productions to see some examples of my work.

Will do!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Menzel
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
Missed it by that much ...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Caleb - extremely happy owner of some of Andrew's games referral here - I think you'll find just about everyone who has received one of his games is pretty stoked about it. YMMV, but I doubt it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
baub64 wrote:
Hi Caleb - extremely happy owner of some of Andrew's games referral here - I think you'll find just about everyone who has received one of his games is pretty stoked about it. YMMV, but I doubt it.

YMMV . . . You Might ? ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your Mileage May Vary. That's an old one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CalebSkye wrote:

YMMV . . . You Might ? ?

"Your Mileage May Vary" - as in, you may find that your personal circumstances cause you to get different results than others.

In this case, I guess one's satisfaction on the production values of Andrew's stuff probably depends on how good one is at producing game parts oneself; if you have access to a $500k digital press you'll probably look at the results differently to someone with a five-year-old home inkjet. ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Menzel
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
Missed it by that much ...
mbmbmbmbmb
RedShark92 wrote:

Well, I'm an old guy. zombie

But I stand by my referral - I make a few games for myself that I'm always pretty happy with, but Andrew's stuff is top notch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
baub64 wrote:
RedShark92 wrote:

Well, I'm an old guy. zombie

But I stand by my referral - I make a few games for myself that I'm always pretty happy with, but Andrew's stuff is top notch.

I can see the quality in the gallery thread posted above, so I'm not worried about that!

Thanks!
Caleb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Henkell
United States
Enid
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I erased the letters on all the tiles and added a yellow outline on the keyhole. You can still sort tiles without the letters. The B tiles are the only tiles with the red skulls.

I've printed the tiles to fill a letter size photo sheet. They look great and should be mounted to mat board tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Henkell
United States
Enid
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a good thing I didn't work on the major components today. Just about anything that could go wrong did when I made this oversized tracker. There are 2 layers of card stock with holes in the top layer. This configuration makes wells to hold the pieces. It's laminated with packing tape. Yes, that's a plastic gemstone heart.
I'll redo this later with photo paper.

I meant to bevel out the mat board on the bottom, but I had to bevel it in after I messed it up. It's been a good learning experience

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.