Robert C Branch
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered the two-player starter set from my online retailer and got it in the mail today. I got the Ares Mothership (really wanted it and Defender X. The problem is, both Defender X pieces are broken. The Jet packs are broken from where it connects at the back and on the Ultra version it is broken in two at the waist.

I don't blame the retailer and I don't want to take a chance that I'll return it and won't get the Ares Mothership. Plus I assume this happens more often than not with miniature games.

Any recommendations on what type of glue to get and use and how to go about applying and setting the parts back together?

One additional question, are there three distinct sets offered in the two-player starter set? Even after my current predicament, I was wanting to attempt to buy a couple of other starter sets later to get the rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Reinbold
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
If it's plastic, polystyrene cement (Testors hobby plane glue) is your best bet, Games Workshop brand glue is also really good because it's formulated specifically for models but it's a little hard to find outside of FLGS' that carry GW products. When you glue, you'll want to make sure that you're very careful with the amount of glue you apply, because polystyrene cement can be a messy mistress. If in doubt, get a flow tip.

If it's metal (I don't think any MonPoc models are, but just in case) you'll definitely want to use super glue. The same rule applies as the hobby glue in terms of the amount you apply.

Hope this helps...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Reinbold
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Oh about setting, unless you can find a hands free way for the model it stand or lay while the glue sets you'll probably need to hold the pieces in place for the first 5-10 minutes, after that give the glue at least an hour to dry before handling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert C Branch
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SWEET! Thanks Will. You da MAN!

CapnThyrus wrote:
If it's plastic, polystyrene cement (Testors hobby plane glue) is your best bet, Games Workshop brand glue is also really good because it's formulated specifically for models but it's a little hard to find outside of FLGS' that carry GW products. When you glue, you'll want to make sure that you're very careful with the amount of glue you apply, because polystyrene cement can be a messy mistress. If in doubt, get a flow tip.

If it's metal (I don't think any MonPoc models are, but just in case) you'll definitely want to use super glue. The same rule applies as the hobby glue in terms of the amount you apply.

Hope this helps...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
The topic of this thread is more appropriate for the Do It Yourself crowd (rather than Recommendations) - so it has been moved there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert C Branch
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
The topic of this thread is more appropriate for the Do It Yourself crowd (rather than Recommendations) - so it has been moved there.

Thanks Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugues Paradis
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm not sure how much miniature you plan to be doing, but i'm not keen on using polysterne cement on plastic. Not all plastic reacts the same way and the stuff burn most of the paint.

If you plan to glue a lot of model, get a small hand held drill. Put holes in the two part and use a bit of wired metal. This is called pinning, you glue afterwards and it strenghtent the bond.

About games workshop metal glue, it can work great but remember that more is less. put a fine layer of glue and make sure you have a fan going next to it while it dry. Otherwise it can leave so white chalky fume marks.

Finally, my favorite option, get a small tube of gorilla glue. Put a pit on a tooth pick and apply to one side.

In any cases, make sure you check that the pieces fit back nicely before applying any glue and have everything prepared and cleaned up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
or return it to Privateer for a replacement if you're not feeling handy

http://forums.monsterpocalypse.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=336

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cristiano Cozzolino
Italy
Roma
RM
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Donald wrote:
or return it to Privateer for a replacement if you're not feeling handy

http://forums.monsterpocalypse.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=336

Hoping that you are more lucky than me... I'm waiting for replacements piece since Rise and I've collected defective piece till BIJ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The plastic the MonPoc sets are made with don't do that well with most brands of plastic cement. I'd go with superglue, although it may be a good idea to pin first. Not necessarily due to weight, but because the superglue won't make a real strong bond on that rubbery plastic either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.