Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Graham
Canada
Fergus
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So..I played Ricochet Robots for the first time the other night and won!
How>? It came down to the final chip. There were 4 players, and we each had 4 chips.
So...as time went on, I counted the chips that people had won...4 green, 4 yellow, one vortex, 4 red...but Ohhh....only 3 blue....and which one was left? The blue planet with a ring!! Ok...so as my mind worked furiously, I prepared my thoughts and discovered the necessary steps to get the blue robot to that location...just as the final chip was turned over and placed on the board...I blurted out my answer before people;s minds had time to register which chip had been place.

Of course this is much more difficult if people keep the chips theyve won a secret....but try it out if they dont!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I blurted out my answer before people;s minds had time to register which chip had been place.

Gotta say... that feels really close to cheating to me. You're taking an unfair advantage over the others. In Ricochet Robot, everybody has the same opportunity and should be working with the same information every time.

Granted, they could do the same thing, but would YOU think that was fair if they thought of it first?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Børge N
Norway
Porsgrunn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrorwell wrote:
Granted, they could do the same thing, but would YOU think that was fair if they thought of it first?

So when you discover a new strategy in a game, you are reluctant to try it out because you think it is unfair to your opponents in the case they haven't also discovered this strategy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Holden
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree: a good strategy if the info is available & not cheating.
Now if you're playing with Ricochet newbies and you're a veteran you might want to lay this one aside, but otherwise I consider it playing smart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
mrorwell wrote:
Quote:
I blurted out my answer before people;s minds had time to register which chip had been place.

Gotta say... that feels really close to cheating to me. You're taking an unfair advantage over the others. In Ricochet Robot, everybody has the same opportunity and should be working with the same information every time.

Open information in any game cannot confer cheating. If you can know the color of the last chip without looking, then why not use that information to your benefit? However, the chips should be stored face down, so that information shouldn't be readily available, but could less easily be remembered if you have the wherewithal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
robbgraham wrote:
just as the final chip was turned over and placed on the board...I blurted out my answer before people;s minds had time to register which chip had been place.

There's always a chance you could miss a quicker route, and have someone else shout out that solution whilst you sit back in contention surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it a "strategy" if it violates the rules?

From the Ricochet Robot rules, currently available on Rio Grande Games. I've added bold to illustrate my point:

Quote:
Playing out a round
A round begins when a player picks up a chip and places it on the center-piece.
Each player then tries to figure out how the active robot (the robot whose color corresponds to the color of the chip) can be brought to the target space

By the rules as written, you don't try to figure out the route until AFTER the chip has been revealed and EVERYBODY has had a chance to see it face up in the middle of the board.

Sure... it's going to happen that you occasionally know the answer because you counted it for a previous attempt... but to systematically do that violates the spirit (at the very least) of how the rules are written.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick PA
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For exactly this reason we play with chips facedown!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrorwell wrote:
Is it a "strategy" if it violates the rules?

From the Ricochet Robot rules, currently available on Rio Grande Games. I've added bold to illustrate my point:

Quote:
Playing out a round
A round begins when a player picks up a chip and places it on the center-piece.
Each player then tries to figure out how the active robot (the robot whose color corresponds to the color of the chip) can be brought to the target space

By the rules as written, you don't try to figure out the route until AFTER the chip has been revealed and EVERYBODY has had a chance to see it face up in the middle of the board.

Sure... it's going to happen that you occasionally know the answer because you counted it for a previous attempt... but to systematically do that violates the spirit (at the very least) of how the rules are written.

EDIT: Whoops. Inadvertent threadcromancy. Sorry about that, I forgot to check the date.

I think you are over-interpreting that passage. It is not reasonable for the rules to dictate that the players are not allowed to consider available information, both because it is hopeless and because it is next to impossible to define limits and sanctions.

If you are not allowed to think ahead, is it forbidden to remember what symbols have passed? Are you not allowed to use patterns you considered from the last time? What is the sanction if you inadvertently realize that the last chip is blue, are you then obliged to pass the round?

Playing the chips face down, stopping before the final chip is drawn or other ways to make prediction difficult or impossible are fine. Asking players to submit their thoughts to unclear rules is not reasonable.

EDIT: Whoops, inadvertent thread resurrection. Sorry about that, I forgot to check the date.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.