Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Duncan
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm tempted to get either this game (Pirate versus Pirate) or Ninja Versus Ninja. So I'm looking for some advice from people who know both games.

I think the Ninja theme and miniatures would appeal more to my son than Pirates (though I'm sure he'd like the Pirates too). But I like the fact that Pirate vs Pirate can play 2 or 3 players. And the theme of stealing a coin is a bit more compelling to me than is Ninja vs Ninja's theme of sneaking into the opponent's dojo and sneaking back. Finally, I like the greater freedom of movement in Pirate Versus Pirate (you can make as many turns as you want provided you do not backtrack).

So, if you've played a number of games of both, which do you prefer? Do you have thoughts on which has more strategy (or are they about the same)? And is the two player version of Pirate vs Pirate good (or is the three player version so much better than the two player version that the two player version seems a pale shadow of the other, and much less fun as a result)?

I've posted a similar post in the Ninja versus Ninja forum:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/6253668#6253668

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got over 200 games of NVN and I would say 135 or so of Pirates and I would say..............

Get them Both

Pirates is OK with 2 people but not as good as Ninja is with 2 - IMO.

3 people pirate is awesome and I like it more then NVN because it is 3 people so more total randomness, and treaties being broke, and a lot more screw you factor to it.

Ninja is awesome and is great once you figure out all the sneaky stuff you can do and your running your Ninja over and 4 of his guys can only get you on a 4 cause of how your tucked into his dojo.

Both are great, my question is - are you looking for a better game for 2 people ( you and your son ) then go with Ninjas, or you want a great dice game for 3 people that is a good game with 2 - then go with Pirates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aristides Wade
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that I have played them both and have 2 boys.... Pirate V Pirate is ehhh 2 player great 3 player. I need to get Ninja V Ninja so they can just play each other and keep me out or when only one of them is around. 3 Person Pirates is great and maybe should be marketed as a 3 player game only.

AWAD- will try the backstab rule shortly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.