Jeffrey L.
United States
Western Burbs of Beantown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

I've been working on a game. I've got most of the mechanics figured out, some design stuff done with a theme, but I'm struggling with a couple of things.

I need some help coming up with something like houses/hotels in Monopoly.
( And yes, ugh, Monopoly bites, so this game is nothing like it )

It would be 2 additional items to add to a collected set of items from an early american colony, i.e veggie garden/wool production/grain mill or sheep farm/cattle farm/chicken coop or well/ windmill etc.

I would like the 2 additional items to perform a similar action to houses/hotels as in make the set worth more as a collective group.

I'm just kind of stumped and my creative juices are not flowing at the moment.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
hut and house
house and mansion
shelter and house
shelter and dwelling
house and manor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pub/inn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Wyman
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Cottage and Inn.laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Leisurely Pursuits wrote:
It would be 2 additional items to add to a collected set of items from an early american colony, i.e veggie garden/wool production/grain mill or sheep farm/cattle farm/chicken coop or well/ windmill etc.

That sentence is a bit difficult to parse. Did you give examples of sets, or examples of items in sets, or examples of set-enhancers? I have a guess, but would prefer to be certain before responding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micah Fuller
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leisurely Pursuits wrote:
Hey all,

I would like the 2 additional items to perform a similar action to houses/hotels as in make the set worth more as a collective group.

Could you clarify a bit?
Do the 2 items have to be the same things for each set? ie something that improves your sheep farm set, or could be used to improve your windmill set instead? Can the items be different according to the set?
(I'm guessing this might mess up some mechanics)

If there are tiles/cards you could have generic "upgrade" tiles/cards which then allow you to take the specific item for a particular set (irrigation, wool spinner, etc.)

Otherwise your upgrade items might be very generic indeed. Like, hired hand, and overseer maybe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey L.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 2 items would need to be the same for each set, similar to how the houses and hotels work in Monopoly ( except for trains and utilities).

So an hut/inn would not work on a set of sheep farm/ cattle farm/chicken coop.

The sets right now are based off things in a colonial village so stuff like farms, town buildings/ church stuff, library and school, etc. so an example of a set would be 3 cards of a particular color= library/meeting house/school.

I would need the 2 items to work with all the different sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ben harvey
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You might simply need to call it "infrastructure" because that's really what it sounds like,

You might need to make a distinction between agricultural/industrial and neighborhood sets as I can't imagine a common ground in the "infrastructure" involved.

Hovel -> Farm

"Chicken Hovel, Chicken farm"

Hut -> building

"Library hut, library building"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hines
United States
Perry
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An inn was the first thing that popped in mind, and after reading the replies, I will have to second the Pub/Inn suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey L.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
super_fish wrote:
You might simply need to call it "infrastructure" because that's really what it sounds like,

You might need to make a distinction between agricultural/industrial and neighborhood sets as I can't imagine a common ground in the "infrastructure" involved.

Hovel -> Farm

"Chicken Hovel, Chicken farm"

Hut -> building

"Library hut, library building"

It's tough to figure out eh? That's why I'm a bit stumped. I was thinking of something like a "deed" card, showing complete free and clear ownership of a set, but then I still couldn't figure out what a "hotel" could be.

I guess I could have " workers/servants" = a house placed on a full set, and then the "free and clear deed" = the hotel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
How about 'gasthaus' and 'hostel'? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ax Bits
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tool shed and Indentured servants' quarters.

Everything could use a good shed, it could range from a feed store for the chicken coop to a groundskeeper's storage for the library.

And having on-site dedicated servants to make use of those tools is even more opulent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
xx xxx
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Sounds like you need: Feeding Troughs and Barns

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
collective farm/colony
farmstead/plantation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.