Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never having any experience with betting on horses, I have a question.

If you bet a horse to WIN, but he "Shows" do you still win any money? EXAMPLE of a betting slip:

POS - Horse - Amt.
Win #5 $1000
Place #3 $1000
Show #4 $1000

RESULTS of race:

WIN - #6
Place - #1
Show - #5 (Would I collect any money for this horse?)

What is actually meant by Slow or Fast track when they talk about the "Speed and Class" of the horse. I am not referring to the numbers... I get that. I just don't know what is meant by the reference to Fast and Slow tracks. Is it the "White" die that determines the "track speed"? OR is it the length of the track?

Thanks!

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lavoie
United States
Nashua
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, you win no money in your example.

If you bet a horse to WIN, you collect only if that horse finishes first.

If you bet to PLACE, you collect if your horse finishes first or second. You will collect the PLACE payoff, which is almost always less than the WIN payoff.

If you bet to SHOW, you collect if your horse finishes first, second, or third. In this case you receive the SHOW payoff, which is typically less than the WIN or PLACE payoff.

In your example, you bet #1 to WIN and the horse finished third, so you collect nothing. Had you bet that horse to SHOW, you would have received some money for your wager.

Edit: I can type. Really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim, you win nothing with these bets on those results!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, I "BET" if I wait, I will get more answers! However, since the first two answers were kind of conflicting... I did a search... and I found this:

It says...

Win Chances of winning are Average Your horse must finish 1st; payoff determined by the win odds

Place Chances of winning are Good Your horse must finish 1st or 2nd; payoffs better than to show

Show Chances of winning are Very good Your horse must finish 1st, 2nd, or 3rd; modest payoffs

So... according to the Dummy page, in my example I would not get any money.

Read more: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/betting-on-horse-racin...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JimM wrote:
Thanks guys, I "BET" if I wait, I will get more answers! However, since the first two answers were kind of conflicting... I did a search... and I found this:

It says...

Win Chances of winning are Average Your horse must finish 1st; payoff determined by the win odds

Place Chances of winning are Good Your horse must finish 1st or 2nd; payoffs better than to show

Show Chances of winning are Very good Your horse must finish 1st, 2nd, or 3rd; modest payoffs

So... according to the Dummy page, in my example I would not get any money.

Read more: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/betting-on-horse-racin...

You got it. "Slow" or "Fast" might also refer to the pace of the race, or how fast the beginning of it is run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TC Giberson
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
The value of the white die determines is a race is fast or slow. If the white die averages 4 and above, it is a fast race and will favor the horses with a high SPEED value. An average roll of 3 or less will indicate a slower race and the high CLASS horses will do better generally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.