Subject: New Hero: Endyamon, a fire paladin rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matteo Salomone
Italy
Cameri (NO)
flag msg tools
Hi all,
I created the sheet of my "ideal" hero, a chaotic good fighter that can cast fire spells using Charisma (like sorcerer, his magic is intuitive):

These are the ten powers I designed for him:
Quote:
- Flame of Life (utility): Choose one hero in your tile (including you): that hero recovers 2 Hit Points.
- Bless of Fire (utility): All Heroes in your tile gain +2 AC until the end of your next turn.
- Fiery Blade(utility): All your attacks gain +1 damage until the end of your next turn.

- Charging Strike (at-will): Attack one Monster within 1 tile from you. If you hit, move the Monster one tile away from you. +7 att./1 dam.
- Purifying Flames (at-will): Attack a Monster within 2 tiles from you. You can remove a condition from any Hero in the same tile of that Monster. +6 att./1 dam.
- Scorching Ray (at-will): Attack one Monster in your tile and/or one Monster one tile away from you. +7 att./1 dam.
- Slicing Blow (at-will): Attack one adjacent Monster. +9 att./1 dam.

- Smite Evil (daily): Attack one adjacent Monster. +8 att./3 dam. (Miss: 1 Damage)
- Fireburst (daily): Choose a tile 1 tile away from you. Attack each Monster on that tile. +7 att./2 dam. (Miss: 1 Damage)
- Fire Shield (daily): Use this power immediately after an adjacent Monster attacks you. Attack that Monster. If you miss, do not flip this card over. +7 att./2 dam.

and this is the first card created:

UPDATED: The hero is now complete; here you can find character sheets and power cards: http://img64.imageshack.us/g/guardianoftheflame2ndle.jpg/

This is the chosen D&D miniature to play it (Aasimar Fighter):

Do you think he's well balanced? I want a fun Hero to play, not an overpowered character
I think that his ability is quite strong, so he starts with only 4 powers (like Allisa, the human ranger).

P.S.: hero's name, class and ability are a tribute to one of my favourite band!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Or
United Kingdom
Stirling
Stirling
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Creating a new hero: a sort of fire paladin
I think Fireburst might be a bit too powerful as not only it hits every monster on a tile, its a sure hit (damage on a miss).
Also accuracy on Smite Evil is probably too high for such a great damage (compare it to 5acc/4dmg attack already existing).
Overall looks like a quite fun character to play though, did you think about what miniature would you choose for him?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Salomone
Italy
Cameri (NO)
flag msg tools
shin0509 wrote:
I think Fireburst might be a bit too powerful as not only it hits every monster on a tile, its a sure hit (damage on a miss).

do you think it's too powerful considering all the powers available, or by itself?

Flameburst is a lesser version of Fireball, you can compare it with:
- Fireball (Wizard daily power):
Quote:
Choose a tile 1 tile away from you. Attack each Monster on that tile.
Attack: +7 Damage: 3 (Miss: 1 Damage)

- Flame Strike (Cleric daily power):
Quote:
Choose a tile within 2 tiles of you. Attack each Monster on that tile.
Attack: +6 Damage: 3 (Miss: 1 damage)

Maybe it's not clear in my first post, however all utility and daily powers are flipped over after use.

Quote:
Also accuracy on Smite Evil is probably too high for such a great damage (compare it to 5acc/4dmg attack already existing).

compared to Brute Strike (Fighter daily power), Smite evil has better accuracy, but deal 1 less damage.
Smite Evil is in the middle between Brute Fight (+5 att./4 dam.) and Precise Strike (+11 att./2 dam.)
You can also compare it with Bounding Attack (Ranger daily power)
Quote:
Place your Hero on a tile within 1 tile of you. Attack one adjacent Monster.
Attack: +6 Damage: 3 (Miss: 1 Damage)

Smite Evil has better accuracy, but limited range (only adjacent monster).
Maybe I could downgrade Smite Evil accuracy to +7 att.

Quote:
Overall looks like a quite fun character to play though, did you think about what miniature would you choose for him?

I will use the Aasimar Fighter miniature:
http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/mg/wotdq (first miniature in the page)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Salomone
Italy
Cameri (NO)
flag msg tools
in the meanwhile I've finished all the power cards; you can find the complete Endyamon character here:
http://img145.imageshack.us/g/guardianoftheflame2ndle.jpg/

Comments are welcome, including warnings about mispelling errors
English is not my first language, so I could have made mistakes in descriptions and flavour texts shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
salem .
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flavour text should read "You are a skilled knight who *has*..."

"Have" is the plural form, for if there were multiple knights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Salomone
Italy
Cameri (NO)
flag msg tools
salemchrist wrote:
Flavour text should read "You are a skilled knight who *has*..."

"Have" is the plural form, for if there were multiple knights.

d'oh!
what a stupid error... shake

thanks for your help!
What do you think about the hero and his balancing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
salem .
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GuardianOfTheFlame wrote:

thanks for your help!
What do you think about the hero and his balancing?

No problem. Your English is a lot better than a lot of native English speakers!

As for the hero, he seems cool. I can't comment on his balancing as I have sadly only had a chance to play Ravenloft twice since I got it I need more free time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
salem .
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, some more edits:

Forged in fire (both sides of the hero card): "use one of your movement action*s*"

Bless of Fire might be better named Bless*ing* of Fire.

Flame of Life flavour text: "restore fatigue" should probably be "banish fatigue" or "restore vitality/stamina/etc". Fatigue is a bad thing. You don't want to restore it!

Purifying Flames: "within 2 tiles *of* you". Not "from". Or even just "within 2 tiles" and leave it at that.

Fire Shield flavour text: "to anyone that engage*d* you..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Salomone
Italy
Cameri (NO)
flag msg tools
Thanks again for your advices, I'll fix the errors and reupload the images

salemchrist wrote:

No problem. Your English is a lot better than a lot of native English speakers!

Thank you
I don't speak english here in Italy, but I read a lot of comics and some books and manuals in english, so I can read it quite well

Quote:
As for the hero, he seems cool. I can't comment on his balancing as I have sadly only had a chance to play Ravenloft twice since I got it I need more free time!

I like Castle Ravenloft: it's easy to learn, quick to play and we have a lot of fun playing it
We all need more free time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiYfxhHy9CQ
arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Salomone
Italy
Cameri (NO)
flag msg tools
I fixed the errors and upload the new version of Endyamon.
I replaced "Double Blow" (at-will power) with "Slicing Blow" for balancing purposes. In this way, there are no at-will powers capable to inflict more than one damage.

You can see updated hero sheets and powers here:
http://img64.imageshack.us/g/guardianoftheflame2ndle.jpg/
(also updated in the first post)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Salomone
Italy
Cameri (NO)
flag msg tools
I've updated some powers to balance the Hero:
- Charging strike move the Hero adjacent to the Monster
- Fiery Blade limited to adjacent Monster so it can be used only with melee attacks ("Charging Strike", "Slicing Blow", "Smite Evil")
- lower attack bonus

Here are high resolution images of character sheets and updated power cards:

I'm not sure to add "Purifying Flames" as default power...
thematically it should be great, but "Forged in Fire" is a powerful ability and this limitation (4 powers instead of 5, like the Ranger) should balance the character
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.