Stephen Sauer
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb

What is it?
A super simple school themed co-op game where you are a group of students that make a plan to sneak in and fix all your grades without getting caught. The overall idea for movement and game progression is that dice are replaced with Teacher/Parent provided questions printed on paper (math, geography, spelling...). By answering correctly, you can perform actions, incorrectly you miss your turn and are closer to getting caught. This game is designed for a classroom setting for grades 5-8. For playtesting purposes, using a single 6-sided die is easiest.

How long/how hard is it?
15 minutes to playtest using dice, difficulty can be determined based assigning numbers in place of correct/incorrect answers.
eg. Roll a 1=incorrect, 2-6=correct (easy) or 1-3=incorrect, 4-6=correct (more difficult)

What are the components?
1 single page printed game board (currently a simplified beta layout for playtesting)
3 same coloured markers/player + 2 additional markers of another colour
1 6-sided die

What am I looking for in feedback?
I need help determining the difficulty of this game. Are 6 levels of Alert for each teacher appropriate? Is 7 levels of grade fixing, 7 confiscated items and 7 exchange students the right number? What would I drop the starting number of exchange students to if there are only 3,2 or 1 players? Basically any suggestions to make it a better balanced game and to help clarify the rules!

If you are interested - awesome! and thanks!!...
The rules and game board can be found/read online here.

FYI – I was really inspired by the recent One Full Page Label Contest I joined in on (Raging Yetis). I specifically loved games like Jasper and Zot and Escape of the Dead - with the simplicity of a single sheet entire game, the ease of no cutting, the beauty of a top down perspective, and the idea being forced to choose between various actions while the threat level increases...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cattlemark
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Just have to say: I'm absolutely in love with that graphic design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
nikky_hack wrote:
A super simple school themed co-op game where you are a group of students that make a plan to sneak in and fix all your grades without getting caught. The overall idea for movement and game progression is that dice are replaced with Teacher/Parent provided questions printed on paper (math, geography, spelling...). By answering correctly, you can perform actions, incorrectly you miss your turn and are closer to getting caught. This game is designed for a classroom setting for grades 5-8.

I find it hard to believe that any teacher would use a game that advocates doctoring ones grades as a teaching tool. And if they do, I find it extremely irresponsible.

Getting answers correct should obviate the need to "fix" ones grades. The theme and game play clash horribly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Deliz
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jmucchiello wrote:
nikky_hack wrote:
A super simple school themed co-op game where you are a group of students that make a plan to sneak in and fix all your grades without getting caught. The overall idea for movement and game progression is that dice are replaced with Teacher/Parent provided questions printed on paper (math, geography, spelling...). By answering correctly, you can perform actions, incorrectly you miss your turn and are closer to getting caught. This game is designed for a classroom setting for grades 5-8.

I find it hard to believe that any teacher would use a game that advocates doctoring ones grades as a teaching tool. And if they do, I find it extremely irresponsible.

Getting answers correct should obviate the need to "fix" ones grades. The theme and game play clash horribly.

As much as I love the idea of living out some Calvin-esque fantasy of rewriting one's grades through stealth, I'm afraid that I have to agree. No teacher alive would use a game in their classroom that encouraged such behavior.

This is really a tricky situation. Adults are responsible enough to understand that this is prohibited behavior (and probably can think of a few times when they wished they had done it), but I'm not sure if the concept of answering math questions will really ring with players.

I will say that I love the design and concept though. The artwork is especially great, and being a 1 sheet, no printing design helps also. Perhaps you could redesign it to promote more noble intentions for students, like trying to explain why you didn't have your homework today, or trying to be the first student out to recess, then it would fly better with parents and teachers.

After that, you just have to convince kids to want to do math problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sauer
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hey, I totally get what you are all saying!

When I started out with this game I went through tons of ideas and have struggled each time to find a theme that is set in a school (something I just want), but is a fun topic for kids - not lame or too st#p!d. I started a previous thread, and am building on a bunch of old discussions - which all point to me wanting the authority figures (teachers) to be the antagonists of the game.

All that being said, I see what you mean about this specific topic being a bit too delinquent and the idea of getting questions correct clashing with the idea of cheating/fixing grades.

I need to find a way of stepping back a level and integrating the idea of them getting answers correct in the real world with what they are doing in the game - point taken.

Anymore suggestions on how to fix the theme but keep it kind of dark/against the rules/fun for kids?

Also, I don't it won't be a problem to convince kids to do (eg.) math problems. I imagine a classroom where you could either do traditional math for that period - or a weekly quiz... or instead play a board game about it - they would take the board game! My sister is going to be doing some volunteer work in my mom's grade 7 classroom, so I will get some real world testing soon once I lock down the game.

thanks everyone!
s
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cattlemark
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Maybe instead of sneak back into class and 'fix' the grades, they have to drop back in time and make sure they answered the questions correctly on the test(s) to get better grades? After learning the correct answers through some 'journey' or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sauer
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Cattlemark wrote:
Maybe instead of sneak back into class and 'fix' the grades, they have to drop back in time and make sure they answered the questions correctly on the test(s) to get better grades? After learning the correct answers through some 'journey' or something.

Great idea of a way to change it but keep most of my theme. I need to think on this for a while.
thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sauer
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb

Okay, so I came up with an new idea that involves the characters from my previous game Raging Yetis. I have yet to re-tweak the rules as per playtesting and feedback from that contest and haven't posted it as an official game on BGG yet, but I am thinking of changing the title to "Savage Yetis" which will make sense momentarily...

This new idea should address the problem of advocating doctoring your grades or the problem with real world teachers showing students a game that condones cheating, while still keeping most of my previous theme and (I hope) being fun/adventurous for kids...

---------------------------

With only days before graduation everything couldn't have gone more wrong. It all started when our teachers were mysteriously replaced with grotesque, hulking, dim-witted yetis, awkwardly stuffed into shabby suits and ill fitting dresses. Over the next three days everyone suffered through mundane class after mundane class, tests scribbled on rocks, answers requiring eating bugs, lessons conveyed with grunts and spit, it was horrible! To top it off, all of our personal effects were confiscated, backpacks, books, shoes, shirts, even lunches. Then came the worst of it… every student, in every class, was given an "F" for every subject.

What's going on here? Why are these savage yetis taking over our school? Why is there a plot to fail every student? All we know for sure is that we have one period left to find a way to fix our grades if we want to graduate.

We have a plan, but it is going to take a bit of sacrifice, a lot of speed and a ton of skill. First, gather our closest friends, then raid the cafeteria for supplies. Next, sneak into the teacher's lounge, find and fix all our grades, grab our stuff, then get out before the bell rings. But be careful, with these vicious and primitive bipeds lurking around, if we get caught the least of our problems will be not graduating…

---------------------------

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cassar
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about having it as a "group project".

Each person in the game is assigned to "researching" a section of their group project.

Exchange Students - New Name: Day Marker
Instead of having 7 exchange students, players have 7 days before their group project is due.

Alert Levels - New Name: Length of day
Instead of Alert Levels, have a clock which signifies time taken researching their project... 3:00, 3:15, 3:30, 3:45, 4:00, 4:15

If the clock hits 4:30 for any student. All the children finish their homework for the day and move the day marker forward one day. Each student then places their time marker back on 3:00.

Confiscated items - New Name: Library Books
Instead of grabing confiscated items, you can borrow research books from the library. These make studying more efficient so your length of day marker moves more slowly.

Power Squares - New Name: Power Squares
These are mostly the same, however instead of "sneaky" you might want "phone a friend", where a player can get another player to answer their question and hope they get it right.

Fix Your Grades - New Name: Do Homework
Once you hit a grade of C+ you have covered the basics of your project and studying takes a bit longer. Hence the +1 and +2. However players can use their "library books" to modify this by -1.

Once the day marker reaches 0 the children hand in their group project and each student gets the grade they are currently on, this also gives a total score for their group.

This way the teacher can have multiple games being played and each "group" can compare their total score with the other groups.

This version is a bit different to your version, I have tried to add options such as "phone a friend" to allow the children to help each other out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sauer
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
djcassar wrote:
How about having it as a "group project".
Each person in the game is assigned to "researching" a section of their group project.
I have read, re-read, thought about it and re-read your post. I have been hesitant to make a game like this which actually mimics school, but I have to say, this is a really good idea.
Quote:
If the clock hits 4:30 for any student. All the children finish their homework for the day and move the day marker forward one day. Each student then places their time marker back on 3:00.
I like how the ex. stu. are replaced with days
Quote:

Confiscated items - New Name: Library Books
Instead of grabing confiscated items, you can borrow research books from the library. These make studying more efficient so your length of day marker moves more slowly.
More efficient studying is a great idea to move back the clock
Quote:

Once the day marker reaches 0 the children hand in their group project and each student gets the grade they are currently on, this also gives a total score for their group.

This way the teacher can have multiple games being played and each "group" can compare their total score with the other groups.
Ending the game once the days have been exhausted, and thus giving final grades is a great idea, as opposed to trying to get out of the room as I had it.

Thanks a lot for this detailed suggestion. I need to sit back and think for a few days on this one. Really appreciate it!
stephen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.