Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_the_Ring#Adaptations confuses Fantasy Flight and Nexus Editrice games as being different. Nexus is the "developer", and FF is the "publisher in the US". Is that right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walkingshaw
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. People on BGG attribute the creation of War of the Ring and the Collector's Edition to FFG all the time too...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gudjon Torfi Sigurdsson
Iceland
Isafjordur
Isafjardarbaer
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The link in that article points to the board game entry which is correct though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wikipedia wrote:
... a board and counter wargame called War of the Rings published by SPI in 1977 (which shows irrefutably strong influence over the Fantasy Flight version)

Irrefutable, eh? I'll refute it, having owned and played both. They are based on the same book; that's about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
We might say it HAD some influence, insofar we tried to consider its failings and avoid them.

I remember SPI's (Berg's) WotR fondly, as I played it when I was a kid, but that game was unfortunately broken - but these were the 80s, and people COULD have fun playing a broken game (as I did).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sekela
United States
Camp Lejeune
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know what all the debate is about. If it's on the internet - ESPECIALLY Wikipedia - then it MUST be true. End of discussion. Period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Marysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Though here at journey's end I lie in darkness buried deep, beyond all towers strong and high, beyond all mountains steep, above all shadows rides the Sun, and Stars forever dwell: I will not say the Day is done, nor bid the Stars farewell.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
cybernex wrote:
We might say it HAD some influence, insofar we tried to consider its failings and avoid them.

I remember SPI's (Berg's) WotR fondly, as I played it when I was a kid, but that game was unfortunately broken - but these were the 80s, and people COULD have fun playing a broken game (as I did).
I think Nexus' game benefitted from SPI's game from a mindshare standpoint. It sure was any easy sell to my friends who had banged their head against SPI as kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zippadeedoodah
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I don't know what all the debate is about. If it's on the internet - ESPECIALLY Wikipedia - then it MUST be true. End of discussion. Period.

ROFL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.