Subject: Exploring the mansion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From everything I have seen or read so far it seems that the mansion is fully revealed at the start of the game.

From a thematic and suspense point of view it would seem far more fun (and scary) if the map tiles were obscured initially. So like a real haunted house, when you open a door you don't know whether you are walking into just another bedroom or the cthuthonian cult summoning room - walls splashed with blood - SAN rolls on sight, etc (... admittedly I haven't seen a map tile for this yet but I'm sure people will produce some pretty cool map tiles and scenarios for this game ... but I digress).

Firstly, a question for anyone lucky enough to have played the game, is there an element of revealing the rooms as the game progresses?

If the mansion does start fully revealed, I'm sure we can think of something to cover this.

You can't just flip the map tokens (because they are double sided). Also if my understanding of the game is correct, the Keeper pre-seeds a number of rooms with clues and so the keeper would need to separately keep track of where they placed everything initially (not too much of a deal - just photocopy the map in the scenario page and make notes on it).

I think a number of map tile blanks would be good for this - so investigators can see the general dimensions of the mansion but don't know what is in each room until they enter it (or otherwise have line-of-sight).

Thoughts?

Edit: grammar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Collins
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Call of Cthulhu, the first thing you always do is go to the Public Records Office to get a blueprint or floor plan of the house you've been staking out. You know, the one with the storm doors that the owner uses to bring bundles into the cellar with in the middle of the night.

How else are you going to know where to pour the concrete?

w.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess that would be another fun trick to play as the keeper.

"These are the mansion plans that you got from the records office"

... but of course they don't show the recent remodeling that has occurred ... you know like remodeling that innocuous looking fourth bedroom into the aforementioned cthuthonian cult summoning room.

So after the Investigator announces they are going to open the door and go into the innocuous bedroom map tile, you do a switcheroo of the map tile to their great surprise. [This would probably only work once but I'd love to see the look on the player's face.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Mawson
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Ahhh, happy memories.

I remember a session many years ago, there was a house on a coastal cliff with a hidden sub-cellar leading down into some caves infested with deep ones. A wealthy investigator, against the better judgement of the others, procured a truck full of dynamite with which he filled the sub-cellar and cellar...

I don't believe he got far enough away before the remains of the house and half the cliff fell into the sea!shake

Countless stories of amusing investigator deaths.

I remember another who disasterously fumbled a fully loaded greener far cannon, and emptied both barrels into his midriff! Messy!

And another who (while suffering from the shock of blasting a bloated star vampire at point blank range, off a fellow investigator) kicked a museum curator (who they were trying to protect) in the crown jewels, knocked him down the stairs and then snapped his neck because he going to call the police. A sad story that didn't end there. I could go on, but I won't. Maybe an idea for thread of it's own!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LordHellfury wrote:

I can see merit in slowly revealing the house as you go along.

But there are a few things that would need to be modified in order to accomplish this tweak.

The layout of the house is important in the spaces provided. There is a set amount of time that you must accomplish the objective in (at least in the scenario that we played) and timing is everything.

Both the keeper and the players need to know where these spaces are.

Perhaps if you were using the "map tile blanks" the Keeper could still put down clue tokens (et al) on top of the blanks in the places where they should be. So the players would know there was something of interest in one of the hidden tile rooms but they wouldn't know what the room actually was until they went there. [This would also reduce paper tracking for the keeper as they just need to transfer any tokens and cards from the blank to the map tile when it is revealed.]

This might help the players make slightly better decisions about splitting up, etc, although admittedly this may still cost the players an extra turn or so in accidentally going into dead-end rooms. If the turns are as tight as you say this may still need to be accounted for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I WANNA BE A KEEPER SO BAD NOW!!!!!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
willco wrote:
In Call of Cthulhu, the first thing you always do is go to the Public Records Office to get a blueprint or floor plan of the house you've been staking out. You know, the one with the storm doors that the owner uses to bring bundles into the cellar with in the middle of the night.

Ah, the "breaking-and-entering" phase of any good CoC adventure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LordHellfury wrote:
I have to ask though, is hiding the rest of the house really worth the extra effort? Would it really add a commensurate amount of tension and mystery by doing so? Especially since the tokens and cards are just going to get thrown on top of the blanks anyways?
I really like the idea of hidden rooms too, but I am struggling with just how much actual benefit is to be had through the effort.

Yeah I know what you mean - I guess trying it out will be the only way of determining whether this
a) actually adds to the theme or suspense, and
b) is able to integrate with the existing rules and scenarios without major hacks or imbalance

FFG usually aim for a target market which appreciates a simple rules set (I'm sure that Corey considered hidden map tiles at some point and rejected it - probably for this reason); however, I'm sure there are many Keepers who won't mind a bit of extra work/record-keepign/complexity _if_ it gives a minor thematic improvement to the game.

Now maybe the initially revealed rooms are not a problem with the out-of-the-box scenarios because the Keeper can vary where the final showdown will be for replayability - so the players can't easily straight-out guess where they should head for.

But consider custom scenarios where from the outset you could see the aforementioned cthuthonian cult summoning room or Nyogtha's sub-cellar leading down into some caves on the map. Gee where do you think the finale will logically be? For these sort of scenarios to work then surely you would have to use some sort of map obscuring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Gaskill
United States
Bridgeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting Thread,it does sound like a cool option but it could be
a time eater.Something else to check out the Rules for or work
out some Home Brew.

Maybe you could combine hidden tiles & Solo playev

OD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Watson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LordHellfury wrote:
I am the sort of person who enjoys theme more than solid mechanics, but only barely. As an old D&D roleplayer, I think with the right group, stretching the game out thematically will hit the sweet spot for some people.

I wholeheartedly agree, and I think it would fly with my group. When I play Overlord in Descent (which is almost every time it hits the table), I conceal rooms until the players open the door to them. We all like it better that way, as it adds a little more to the suspense. And it's very easy to do, based on the mechanics of the game.

I think that with MoM, where suspense is a much more pronounced element of theme and gameplay, it can do nothing but help. And with a generally shorter playing time from all that I've read (at least relative to Descent), I won't mind the extra time invested in doing it (or the extra record-keeping, for that matter). Now the big question is whether the rules and game mechanics allow for it to be possible. After one or two plays, I'm sure a few tweaks could be made to make it happen.

Or maybe I could know just by reading the rules. C'mon rulebook...

Edit: Typo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rintoul
Switzerland
Nyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
willco wrote:

w.

Or the gasoline!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LordHellfury wrote:
Because of that I want to comment on your last paragraph as it pertains to the scenario that we played but I really don't want to spoil the surprise either. I will say though that while I agree that seeing the rooms can lead to knowing what general direction you might take to achieve the goal, there is enough mystery left to make you second guess this assertion. It's difficult for me to say more on that without revealing what I know of the first scenario (or at least the card subset for that scenario).

Awrrrr you old tease, Hellfury.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith M. Sandler
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WhereAreTheBlackDice wrote:
From everything I have seen or read so far it seems that the mansion is fully revealed at the start of the game.

If the mansion does start fully revealed, I'm sure we can think of something to cover this.

Thoughts?

Edit: grammar

REALLY?! Really? shake

The game ain't even out yet. Can we all just take a deep breath and play it once or twice, enjoy the pretty pieces, acknowledge that, gee, I might have made a game like this a little differently, but I wonder how much I like this based on what it is and how it plays?

What is this trend lately to house-rule the hell out of games that people haven't even played yet (or at least not nearly enough to evaluate the system as it is)?

Rant over.

In Corey I trust. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark Son wrote:
What is this trend lately to house-rule the hell out of games that people haven't even played yet (or at least not nearly enough to evaluate the system as it is)?

Folks are excited about the game, and in lieu of being able to play it, they like to talk about it. It's just chit-chat to pass the time. That seems like a pretty normal thing to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
...That seems like a pretty normal thing to me.

Says the man with the creepy cat icon...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
Dark Son wrote:

Folks are excited about the game, and in lieu of being able to play it, they like to talk about it. It's just chit-chat to pass the time. That seems like a pretty normal thing to me.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

We're just throwing around some ideas - we won't know whether they are even needed or feasible until we play the game lots of times (as Corey designed it).

I think the interesting thing about this game is that quite a number of people will be interested in exploring the boundary between the standard boardgame Keeper role and the standard CoC Gamemaster role. In this they'll be more interested about story than about scenario replayability.

The more I think about the game, the more I think I can see why revealed map tiles in the standard scenarios is not a major concern - because the scenarios are designed such that there are quite a number of places the finale can take place.

However, I think that custom one-time-play scenarios will have different concerns (e.g., no requirement for high replayability and they may have no requirement that the scenario must be completed in x turns for the players to win). I imagine a popular mechanic will be to reveal the map in stages or to use a "map connector token" concept.

For instance, a lock puzzle in a room reveals a secret passage with is then placed on the map along with another revealed section of map (where the lock puzzle room would be at the edge of the previously revealed map and so the new secret tunnel and map section can just be layed down against the old map); or similarly, where the investigators discover a set of stairs up to an attic or a pit down to subterranean tunnels the keeper could place a "map connector token" in the room which links a non-joined map section which is revealed when they go through the connector.

A fan-site to collect scenarios as well as map-tile & token designs would be awesome!

Fun thoughts anyway ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Schoenheiter
Germany
Heusenstamm
Hessen
flag msg tools
publisher
Editor
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just talking by myself here, but this will be my first sort of RPG-like experience for me. I always thought that Gamemaster or Descent Dungeonlord sort of thing is way too complicated. So I'm quite anxious to finding out how this will work out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.