Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Sass
United States
North Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, I'd like to say that this thread is not intended to be a debate over the success of past 'Rosenbergs'. It is a list of possible ideas and themes that us fans would like to see in Ora et Labora.
Uwe's first two releases were great hits. His next one, Loyang, received some mixed reviews. His most recent one, Merkator, has been extremely polar in reviews. But now, what do you think about this upcoming release? Should we anticipate the next Agricola or Le Havre? If the game keeps true to everything that is said in the description, then I think I have a few good reasons to be optimistic (which I am over any Uwe game). What would you like to see?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theagricolan wrote:
Uwe's first two releases were great hits. His next one, Loyang, received some mixed reviews.

Well, I assume the hits you are referring to are Agricola and Le Havre, except they were not his first two releases. They are somewhere around 30-40, depending on how you count.

I'm hoping for Le Havre 2.0. I really don't care about the theme, just as I don't care about the theme in Le Havre. Is there a theme? Sure, you build stuff, buy stuff, ship stuff, but I really have no idea for what purpose, other than the rules say most money wins.

I guess the place I would like to see Uwe try to venture into that he hasn't been (that I've seen) is a board with spatial connectivity, like a map or routes or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ode.
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:

I guess the place I would like to see Uwe try to venture into that he hasn't been (that I've seen) is a board with spatial connectivity, like a map or routes or something.

Hi,

I don't know if I got you right. Like in Merkator or BohnHansa? Or do you mean something different?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Merkator, but the board looks like it has some very simple connections. A little bit simpler than I was envisioning. I also haven't played Bohn Hansa (Bean Trader), but yeah, that looks like a very simple starting map. I would like to see something with the complexity and depth of Le Havre that also uses a map (or some spatial construct). Either a fixed map, or better yet a player-built map, like a rail game, or more simply a growing world like Dominant Species.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
I haven't played Merkator, but the board looks like it has some very simple connections.

It's not even a map, per se. You can put the trader guy down anywhere.

The only reason the connections exist is to tell you which boxes get more goods when you visit a different box.

Quote:
I would like to see something with the complexity and depth of Le Havre that also uses a map (or some spatial construct). Either a fixed map, or better yet a player-built map, like a rail game, or more simply a growing world like Dominant Species.

That's nearly exactly what Roads & Boats is. It's like Uwe took Roads & Boats and threw out half the pieces.

Almost literally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sass
United States
North Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Uwe's first two releases were great hits. His next one, Loyang, received some mixed reviews.

Quote:
Well, I assume the hits you are referring to are Agricola and Le Havre, except they were not his first two releases. They are somewhere around 30-40, depending on how you count.

I'm hoping for Le Havre 2.0. I really don't care about the theme, just as I don't care about the theme in Le Havre. Is there a theme? Sure, you build stuff, buy stuff, ship stuff, but I really have no idea for what purpose, other than the rules say most money wins.

Yes, I was not specific enough. I meant the first ones in his Big Box Harvest Trilogy.
I like the idea of buying land on which to grow your 'empire', of sorts. The Rondell seems like an interesting idea, as well.
A map of connected routes would be interesting. Maybe action spaces that are connected, with workers that move around from each to an adjacent one, instead of on and off the board.
Though, it's good to see him working his way back to worker-placement, isn't it? I mean, I really like Loyang and Merkator, but I love Agricola and Le Havre. (Although, I guess Merkator is somewhat worker-placement)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael, your quoting is messed up. You wrote the first line, I wrote the next three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sass
United States
North Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoops, that would be correct. Anyhow, what else might be interesting? I'm always interested to see what kinds of currency will be used (sometimes more than one).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yann
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmb
Can not comment much on the mechanic of a game that is not out yet...
So my comment goes to the other aspects of a good game which are also important.

What is preventing me to buy Agricola and Le Havre,
despite my passion for worker placement game is the strong language dependency.

See when playing in an environment where several languages are spoken,
and games with heavy dependency on language are always a barrier.

I think a lot of people would appreciate if some effort in the design of the game could be put to reduce this language dependecy.

A stronger theme (medieval is wellcome) instead of pure abstract game,
and nicely designed graphics for the board plus nice wooden components is always a must!

Check Navigador game as a reference in this design field (although the game box is too big!)

Looking forward to see and play this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
youtch wrote:
What is preventing me to buy Agricola and Le Havre, despite my passion for worker placement game is the strong language dependency.

This is relative, of course, but I don't think Le Havre has a strong language dependency. Everything is iconic. There might be a little language on the special building cards (the face-down ones that get built by the town once every few rounds), but not much, and there aren't that many of them each game. You could also take away the market ability to peek at the special cards, and thus remove the only hint of private information, and make sure everyone understands each special card when it comes up (only 4 per game in a 3p iirc). And that wouldn't affect the game much. Only pros might gaff a little.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bastian Winkelhaus
Germany
Mainz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ora et Labora does not have a single piece of hidden information, everything is in the open. So it should be no problem to explain/clarify all texts.

While all resource giving buildings can prolly be iconized, some of the buildings will certainly have text. But i dont think this could be avoided.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see the spacial board exist as well, but as buildings are constructed off the board in "cards" like in le havre, they have a placement on the spacial board wherein others can visit your buildings, but they have to travel there on the board. So the towns have streets and visiting buildings isn't worker placement, but worker travel and visit. Monastery (ragnar bros) tried something like this, but it fell short in how I perceived it working.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morgan
United States
Simi Valley
CA
flag msg tools
theagricolan wrote:
Whoops, that would be correct. Anyhow, what else might be interesting? I'm always interested to see what kinds of currency will be used (sometimes more than one).

You are?

Why? :what:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sass
United States
North Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For instance, in Farmers of the Moor, food and fuel are the currency. In Alhambra there are 4 different kinds of currency. I'm interested to see if Uwe plans on having multiple items of exchange in this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis E. Hernández

Puerto de Sagunto, Valencia, SPAIN
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The possibility of more players! 5 would be perfect...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.