Subject: Supercool new idea: Cycle Packs. Is it time? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Okay, so I can't keep up with all of these damn LCGs coming out every time I take a leak. So is it time for FFG to release a "boxed set" of some of the older cycles? I know there are people just getting into this game, and I believe they'd like a good way to collect the previous stuff without buying Asylum Packs pack by pack. Help a brotha out!

Poll
Is it time for FFG to give us a way to get all 6 packs of a particular cycle in 1 fell swoop?
Yes, in fact it's past time. Do what is best for the consumer!
No, not necessary, I can remember each expansion and keep track of when & where I'm buying them all at, unlike mayor who is likely senile anyway.
Do you actually pee LCGs? Because that's kinda cool.
      49 answers
Poll created by fightcitymayor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
I didn't vote because I really don't care either way.

However:
Sit down for a minute, close your eyes and imagine the nerd rage that would ensue if FFG released a box set of older expansions with three copies of every unique in it!
Just remember the nerd rage when the new collation was announced.

I think FFG are doing what they ought to. This way you can still buy single AP's if you are looking for specific cards, you can still seep more cards into your collection as you develop new ideas or dig up more money rather than being forced to expand with 360 cards at a time.

I find the http://cthulhu.dbler.com/ database VERY handy for finding what is what and what is where and I have absolutely NO problems finding out what cards I want, what cards I need, and where to get them.

The internet is a glorious thing.

Also: New players might actually shy away from CoC since it seems like they are presented with the option of buying four very large boxes of cards and two smaller boxes, just to be on par with the current meta.
The current strategy seems less overwhelming to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
I hear ya on the "nerd rage" thing, but the angle of the Cycle Packs would be to rope in the more casual fan. Maybe someone who plays far more Magic, or wargames, or Hungry Hungry Hippos, and doesn't really get around to figuring out where any given LCG is at a given time.

The hardcore fans & collectors can be expected to be up to date with what releases are out, which are coming out, which are available, which are not, but the level 2 or 3 fan may be well-served by FFG saying, "OK, the Dreamlands Cycle was released last year, interest is waning, so here is a compiled "Big Box" edition with all 6 sets in it, enjoy." Maybe there is like 1 promo card to entice buyers (like maybe the old CCG domain cards? hint, hint!) but otherwise it's the same content as what the hardcore fans bought pack by pack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a great idea. Frankly I was all excited to buy back into the game, and then I realised I would be sinking more money into catching up than I had spent on Magic all last year. Considering that's the kind of thing they wanted to get away from... I found it silly. Had a "one with everything" box existed, I would have bit right away. Even if it was just in a highlander cube form I would have totally jumped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Also, I didn't vote either. I can see it both ways. Easier to collect, but boxes would have to be $90ish for FFG to make their money. Relative to magic, those 360 cards are pretty cheap and no rare chasing. But I think most people would shy away from that form of distribution due to initial cost.
Exactly. Such a box would have to have a price point that would 'seem' too high for most people. Buying the cards one pack at a time is much less intimidating, even if you end up paying the same amount of money (or even slightly more).

What I would have loved to see was a box including just two copies of each card we only got one copy of in the older APs.

It's nice that the reprinted APs will have three copies of every card, but what am I going to do with my old cards from these APs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mayor -

While you probably are senile, this is still the single greatest idea of the century.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I am currently in negotiations with Mr. Christian T. Peterson for the royalties to my awesome idea (which has garnered OVERWHELMING SUPPORT here at the BGG!) One of my legal stipulations is having my avatar on the cover of every box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.