Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Kennedy
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
What is this Expansion Kit rule trying to get at? Is there any incentive for the Japanese to not withdraw their troops? Otherwise, this looks like a piggy bank, which you want to break open in an emergency.

The reason why I ask is because my understanding is the Japanese army was quite active in China in 1944 and even early '45. Apparently, the forces of Chiang Kai-Shek were quite battered. The net effects of this were two-fold:

1) To hollow out the Japanese Army in China, which paved the way for the Soviets into Manchuria in 1945.
2) Fatally weaken the Nationalists and pave the way for the ultimate Communist triumph in 1948.

Obviously, in game terms we don't care about the latter. But, does withdrawl from China or the lack of it influence the Soviets in any way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Troop Withdrawals do not influence the Soviets in the game per se - by the time the Soviets do appear at the very end stage, it's a given that Japan has suffered.

With Troop Withdrawals, the player is gnawing off their own leg to survive. A piggy bank can be another way of looking at it, but there's a key component to the rule that should not be overlooked - on any card that China Advances, Troop Withdrawals may not occur.

This represents increased activity in the theatre and Chinese forces are coordinated enough (for the moment) to tie down your troops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kennedy
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm going to have to play this and see how it works. I just noted there's a distinct window when you can do this. That made me wonder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kennedy
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Did the Withdrawl rule also come into being partly in response to the expanded event deck? It addresses a historic dynamic and that is worthwhile. But, did playtesting show distorted pressure on the Resource Track and this rule addressed this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes and No - the expansion deck gives the player more cards = more actions, but there is some nasty stuff in there too.

Troop Withdrawals are intended to give the player a bit of a break during the maelstrom of the expanded Late War deck, to plant another decision-tree for the player to consider, and to add some additional tension (not knowing when the ability will suddenly expire when the China theatre is basically lost).

Credit goes to Alan on this one, and I think it's a great rule (so if the players like it, he's just making me look good! ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.