Popular Tags: [View All]
武士に二言無し
Italy
Caravaggio near Bergamo near Milano
Europe + Earth + Via Lactea
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I read this article my heart missed a bit.

It's incredible ... one and foremost for the historical value and what it represents, then and not the last, for the religious one, I/You believe or not.

A sad day.

F.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen
United Kingdom
Burton on trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to be a pretty egotistical and sad person to believe that you should have this object and deprive everyone else of it. Owning the object alone is meaningless, its what it represents that is the value, and it only has that value in its proper place. To have so much and to understand so little, I feel sorry for the person who has this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
武士に二言無し
Italy
Caravaggio near Bergamo near Milano
Europe + Earth + Via Lactea
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Sthepen,

I agree with You at 100%.

The offense done to the object is the offense done to all men that fought at Waterloo from one part or the other, without distinction, and overall to all people that every year go to to that place with history, curiosity, passion, respect in their hearts.
Who made that is a little man ...

F.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Reminds me of the theft of the sign outside Auschwitz a year ago. These historical items belong to everyone. They are physical reminders that take the past and give it a physical representation in the present.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
This really is sickening. I hope it was some crazed, villainous collector and not just vandalism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Dirty, pathetic SOB's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I would not be surprised if the thief has self-servingly rationalized it in their mind as "I will take better care of it than the care it was receiving in a public place dangerously exposed to so many people"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BeatPosse wrote:
I hope it was some crazed, villainous collector and not just vandalism.

Far more likely a petty thief, unaware of the true value of what he was taking -- someone who just needed to score some quick cash (probably for his next fix). Human garbage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What a moron, you couldn't fence this even if you tried... idiot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Garfink wrote:
What a moron, you couldn't fence this even if you tried... idiot.

Well, indeed you wouldn't have much luck selling it at the local pawn shop, but history shows that there are unfortunately a few rich egotistical collectors who want to privately own such stolen famous artworks. (Or of course the thief doesn't want to sell it, but simply own it.)

There is also the occasional motive of holding art ransom, just like a kidnapping. I guess we shall see if this is such a case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Again it goes back to the guy who was behind stealing the sign at the gate in Auschwitz. His ego told him that he wanted to own it. To have it for himself alone. There are unfortunately people out there that are selfish enough and rich enough to do these things. In their minds nobody else will appreciate it as much as they will.

For myself I have a strong interest in the civil war and the Iron Brigade. The flags from the regiments that comprised the Iron Brigade exist in various museums around the country. Now for someone like me the ultimate thing to own would be one of those flags. To have it in my home where I could see it every day. The difference is I am neither rich enough to steal one, nor am I selfish enough to think I have a right to have such an important piece of history all to myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joeseph McCarthy
United States
Battle Creek
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The thieves should be buried alive in toxic waste.

Or forced to have sex with Rosanne Barre.

Mogadeet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wintz
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
Boo!
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope the cross falls on him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Florie
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Historical or not, stealing a cross or any other religious item seems like bad form. Kids these days.

Cheers,

Josh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bobek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
May the souls of the men who fought there give the thief or thieves no sleep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Lancer4321 wrote:
BeatPosse wrote:
I hope it was some crazed, villainous collector and not just vandalism.

Far more likely a petty thief, unaware of the true value of what he was taking -- someone who just needed to score some quick cash (probably for his next fix). Human garbage.

That's often the case but I think the cross was extremely heavy, so more likely stolen to order I think. I was more upset that the battle ground topology was ruined to build a stupid mound soon after the battle.

People who have more money than they can spend then look to things they can't buy, it's like an addiction. I suspect the buyer has justified it in his mind somehow.

They should send Sharpe after it, the thieves won't know what hit them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.