Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Strange
Australia
Dingley Village
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I am in the process of trying to source a copy of this game my my local gaming store, however, i was hoping to gain an insight whether there may be a solo variant in the works from either a fan or Christophe Boelinger himself.
Given the re-release of DT and the Solo campaign set within that game, what are the chances this will have the same love and care?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would *love* to see either a solo or a co-op variant for this game, and I don't think it would be too difficult to craft, though you would lose some unique mechanics (such as Dueling). Still, I think it's possible and would love to playtest it if anyone comes up with something.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Woods
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't the first mission work without dueling? I went to the Earth Reborn website and it seems well setup for future user-submitted missions. Maybe, when I get the game, I could look into making something for solo (hold that with a grain of salt).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct, scenario 1 does not include the Dueling rules. But that's the only scenario in 9 + SAGS that doesn't use Dueling. Once you use Dueling, you can see why it's integral to the game (it's how interrupts are done, i.e. overwatch/guard). Replacing the concepts Dueling does in a solo game will require some major tweaking.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew S
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW...
I've played the first 4 scenarios solo, playing both sides, and here's what I've tried for dueling. It's more art than science but has worked well at least to help me learn the process.

Once I've decided to have one side initiate a duel (and that's really just a continuation of trying to make the optimal play at that moment), I roll a number of yellow dice based on the number of CPs remaining to the initiator of the duel. I'll roll a number of dice equal to about a quarter of the remaining CPs. So if the initiator has 12 CPs, I'll roll 3 dice. I then total up the number of symbols on the dice to represent the amount bet. I'll have the other side roll the same number or fewer dice, depending on how many CPs it has left.. Sometimes, I'll adjust the number of dice rolled by the initiator, based on circumstances - as I said, more art than science

So it is slightly mitigated randomness but, for me, preferable to ignoring the duel altogether.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without dueling, I beleive you'd really have to make it so no more than one order on an order tile could be done per round, otherwise, you could wreak havic with one character before the entire other side went.

I was also thinking a simple d4 roll to see how many CPs each side bid may be possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Bayu
Indonesia
Jakarta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Purple Paladin wrote:
Without dueling, I beleive you'd really have to make it so no more than one order on an order tile could be done per round, otherwise, you could wreak havic with one character before the entire other side went.

hmm... how is that possible? sure you can have multiple order tiles (no limit) but you have maksimum total of CP allocation per one turn per character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doh, just played my second game, now I see, a max CP per character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Woods
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you replace dueling with some sort of dice rolling mechanism? I guess if you're soloing, you are probably best to play the schizo role.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbr1981 jbr1981
France
flag msg tools
(sorry for my poor english)

i played the first 6 scenarii in solo mode.

Here is how i play in solo mode.
When the opposant can interrupt the action of the "current player", i roll a yellow dice.

If the dice indicates 1,2 or 3 shots, i have the choice to pay as many CPs as indicated by the dice to cancel the interruption (in this case, only the "current player" spend its CPs), or i can spend nothing, and the opposant interrupts the action automatically and freely (this "player" does NOT pay any CPs).

It's a balanced rule i think because sometimes, at the end of the game interruption becomes very important for stopping a player to win. In a real game with 2 players, the opposant will spend the maximum of CPs he can to try to win the duel (it can be a lot of CPs).
In this solo rule and with the situation describes above, duel is safer for the current player (it cost 3 CPs max to cancel) ; but it's balanced because during all the scenario, the current player paid CPs for cancelling interruptions, and the opposant interrupted freely.

This is my 2cents

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Brattstrom
Sweden
flag msg tools
Im getting my copy on friday but your solo variant seems to do the work! Very clever!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
truliduli truliduli
msg tools
Bonjour / Hello
Merci pour ta proposition, elle semble effectivement être le bon compromis entre équilibre et légerté d'utilisation/ thank you for your tip, it seems as balanced as easy to use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic R
Spain
Tomares (Seville)
flag msg tools
badge
Pure mathematics is the world's best game. It is more absorbing than chess, more of a gamble than poker, and lasts longer than Monopoly. It's free. It can be played anywhere - Archimedes did it in a bathtub
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it, but I suggest a variant to this variant. The interrupt player can do as above (spend nothing and roll a die to determine the cost of not get interrupted) OR can spend 3 CP and roll two dices adding cost. If any of the dices (or both) have a blank face, then the action is interrupted automatically (not way to avoid it).

This way simulate when the AI player spend just a little to disrupt (roll one die) trying maybe more to exahust the other player than to get the initiative or when the situation is quite critical and deserve to spend more CP just to get the interruption done (two dices).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.