Subject: Bene Gesserit Predicting Themselves? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Are the BG allowed to predict their own victory in a given turn? It seems somewhat redundant, and the only reason I can think of to do it is if you feel like being a jerk to any allies you might have at the time.

I'm working on a set of BG Prediction cards (similar to some I've seen in pictures around here) and I'm pondering whether or not to make a card for the BG faction themselves. On the one hand I'd rather not waste the ink on a mostly useless card, on the other hand, I don't want to deny the BG player a viable (if largely redundant) tactic.

What do you wise and venerable people think? If you were playing BG with a set of cards instead of a player sheet, would you want the ability to predict your own victory? Would you feel cheated if there was no card for yourself? Are there any reasons to make this sort of prediction that I haven't thought of?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the player shield it states that you must pick one "other" player. If it had said "any" player you could argue that a BG could choose him/herself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamgar
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
Knowing where the trap is - that's the first step in evading it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I like the idea of prediction cards!

I find it hard to believe a self-prediction is anywhere near optimum play for the BG, but I guess it's not technically prohibited ..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamgar
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
Knowing where the trap is - that's the first step in evading it.
mbmbmbmbmb
drmabuse00 wrote:
On the player shield it states that you must pick one "other" player. If it had said any player you could argue that a BG could choose him/herself.

In fact, this interpretation has a lot of merit and makes making the cards a lot easier!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drmabuse00 wrote:
On the player shield it states that you must pick one "other" player. If it had said any player you could argue that a BG could choose him/herself.

Hmm. I can't argue with Anthony's interpretation, but my group has always said that it *is* possible for the BG to predict themselves. I may have to change that ruling. I think it's somewhat moot, however, since I really don't believe anyone would ever want to do this - it gains you almost nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
drmabuse00 wrote:
On the player shield it states that you must pick one "other" player. If it had said "any" player you could argue that a BG could choose him/herself.

I can accept that logic. As I said it seems like a largely pointless thing to do anyway, and this saves me from agonizing over not printing a card for it.

PS: I got the idea about BG Prediction cards from ScottE's images. Credit to him for the idea, although my plan is to imitate Ilya77's card style rather than Scott's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
tempus42 wrote:
drmabuse00 wrote:

Hmm. I can't argue with Anthony's interpretation, but my group has always said that it *is* possible for the BG to predict themselves. I may have to change that ruling. I think it's somewhat moot, however, since I really don't believe anyone would ever want to do this - it gains you almost nothing.

Same as Brad.
My 2 cts: the BG predicting its own direct victory would not be true to the theme, since BG is a shadow faction that "wins" by manipulating others...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.